“Dated”

The Marcliffe Hotel and Spa
Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed only one night as an end to our trip in Scotland before flying from Aberdeen. We spent a couple of days at the start of our holiday at Bauhaus hotel in Aberdeen and highly recommend this. Bauhaus has more a modern style that suits our taste and the location is central and excellent to many places of interest and restaurants.
In contrast Marcliffe is old, dated and the rooms need a good refurbishment. In addition the hotel is around 15-20mins drive from Aberdeen centre. The hotel during season seems to attract many wedding and golfing guests. So if you would like a quiet stay, this may not be the place.

Though we are happy to pay for quality we found Marcliffe overpriced for what they offer.
On a good note the service offered by the staff was very friendly and excellent. The restaurant offers great food. I will not stay here again but highly recommend the restaurant for its fine dining,service and quality of food.

3  Thank RNB9

Reviewed July 22, 2012

My fiance and I have just returned from Sunday lunch in the Conservatory restaurant. It couldn't be faulted. We ordered our meal from the comfort of the bar and were escorted to our table approximately 5 minutes before our (delicious) starters arrived. The food was excellent and the service cannot be faulted- attentive but not overbearing. We declined tea and coffee but my fiance then commented that we'd done ourselves out of fudge. A plate full of fudge and chocolates appeared moments later.

We retired to the bar again after our meal and spent a lovely leisurely afternoon sipping various drinks. Again, service was impeccable. We will be back

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We are regulars at the Marcliffe when visiting Aberdeen and the standard never waivers. Staff are always courteous and attentive and the hotel balances modern facilities with plenty of local character.

Food and drink are excellent with the whisky selection in particular being one of the best we have ever seen. Best to book ahead for both the bar and restaurant as space is at a premium.

Room Tip: The suites are quite excellent.
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Friday 13th July, we were booked to go here for a relaxing mother/daughter afternoon before her wedding on Sunday 15th. This was courteousy of my lovely hubby who surprised me at Christmas with enough vouchers to pamper both my daughter and myself(after the rest of my pressies). We plumped for the candlewax massage, pedicure and my daughter had a manicure as well. Never having had a full massage before, I was really looking forward to this. Wow, it was amazing and I would recommend this to anyone. Jen, the girl who did my one was lovely. Then came the pedicure, bliss. As much tea, coffee, etc, as you wished. The surroundings were lovely and the staff so nice, I will be back. 10/10. Louise, Aberdeen (oh and Keri!)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have had a downer on Scottish service levels for some time now; the Marcliffe at Pitfodels has restored my faith. Well done Marcliffe. The reception staff were excellent, couldnt have been more charming and helpful. The bar and waiting staff were very good - much better than the usual mix of undertrained students that seem to populate many banquetting staffs - and the rooms were spacious and contained an excellent sized and comfortable bed, with fabulous pillows. Wifi was free and the mini bar and coffee station was well stocked (nb real coffee and a cafetiere). Breakfast was all freshly prepared and delicious - with good sized portions well cooked (esp the eggs benedict).

The wedding banquet dinner was excellent, with amazingly tender rib-steak served for 100 guests. Never easy.

Room Tip: The castle rooms (all with castle names) are well located and comfortable. Bathrooms could do with...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We were not staying at the Marcliffe - we just went to dine there to celebrate our friends' wedding anniversary. We thought it was excellent and well up to the standard that we have experienced previously at he Marcliffe. The staff are really well trained and are charming, polite and helpful at all times. The menu is extensive and there is something to suit everyone. The food we were served was of a very high standard and I found the decor to be pleasing - there was no sign of needing a refurb in the dining room. The choices of wines were good and although everything is pricey it is well worth it - I can honestly say it was tip top!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank CaroleLed
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The "estate" feel and gardens, the casual, homey, but tasteful decor of the public rooms, the provisions and comforts of our bed and bath rooms, the excellent breakfasts and unquestionably gourmet dinner presented credibly, and the very, very gracious service we received from our reception to our check-out, including our teatime, cocktail, and dining experiences, these are the same "pros" delineated by so many other reviewers.
If one prefers to be at the center of city things, which, as tourists in Aberdeenshire, we didn't, the Marcliffe is a Scottish bit out of town. It served as a great base for exploration of the area. As we understand that many estates and buildings cannot easily be reconfigured into hotels without sacrificing convenient access to some of the guestrooms, e.g. Hotel & Bistro Du Vin in Edinburgh and Culloden House near Inverness, we weren't daunted by the route to our Marcliffe room. If we had known, however, that the "Balmoral" room nestled opposite to an "event" room - it served as a waiting room - playground for kids whose parents were attending a wedding reception one night of our stay - we would have requested another.

Room Tip: The "The Balmoral" on weekends is risky!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple