“A gem of a find!”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have now travelled to this restaurant on five occasions and each time the meal was excellent and very good value for money. One of the things that puts me off eating Chinese food is that it can be very salty, given the liberal use of sodium monoglutamate in some Chinese restaurants. However, as we have never travelled the 140 miles home and become dry or thirsty I assume that the food is spared the excesses of the dreaded additive E121.
We have tried many dishes over the five visits and all have been very good, with the exception of the chicken curry I had last week. I didn't like the texture of the chicken and I will stick to dishes with beef or pork in future. It's just personal preference and there was nothing about the dish that gave the impression of poor quality.
The service we have received has always been friendly and helpful. The toilets seem to be clean and well stocked with soap and paper towels.
In terms of accessibility, if you use a wheelchair then you would be able to sit at a table and enjoy a meal but getting to a bathroom would be impossible.
Judging by the number of people who use the restaurant, including a steady stream of take away orders being collected, the Royal China obviously has a good reputation locally but it is worth a journey out from Aberdeen or further afield. We enjoy the drive to Peterculter along the A93 and through Royal Deeside, which has many places to stop for a walk and/or a coffee and scone if you want to make a day or an afternoon and evening of the trip.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

The Royal China is a firm family favourite. Meet there often for family get togethers, Re- Unions etc. Our kids grew up with the food there which has always been consistently very good. There have been a few mediocre dishes which caused us to not return for a few months , but all in all we forgive and go back, often with no regrets. Sometimes change of cooks and perhaps management meant a change in the taste and presentation of food. Generally I give it 4 stars in taste and quality of food. Please keep up the good work!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've been to the Royal China twice in the last few weeks.

The first time I had Sunday lunch which was a set menu for less than £8 per person which represents excellent value. The salted peppered ribs and beef in black bean sauce were delicious and the service was pretty quick and efficient.

The second time I went with a party of 5 and the Royal China Platters are definitely worth recommending and there was enough food to satisfy our appetite that night.

If you like Chinese food and are in region then this place is certainly worth trying.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife & I went to the Royal China on Saturday evening for a meal after reading a number of positive reviews on here, along with some personal recommendations.

The restaurant was reasonably busy while we were there (7pm - 9:30pm) and the place had a good general buzz. Staff were very attentive and the food was served really quickly, and was good and hot.

Menu choice was very good, and the prices not too bad at all - the set menus certainly offered very good value, though we didn't order one of them on this visit. I had hot & sour soup - one of my favourites, and it was particularly hot. The chilli beef that followed was excellent, and was a hearty portion ! Desserts were also very good and I was glad to see they weren't the standard ice cream in a coconut shell type this (!). We had toffee apples & bananas.

The restaurant itself was quite well presented, although I agree with other reviewers on here in that it probably needs a bit of a revamp. Our table was right in the corner of the room, and it was a bit dark, with my back to the restaurant.

So in summary I would recommend you visit this restaurant if you're in the area and fancy some Chinese. The also cater for families quite well.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

There are not many restaurants in this neck of the woods and usually Chinese restaurants don't offer anything particularly noteworthy. However this one is an exception. You know the minute you enter that it is 'good' because of the enticing smells of garlic and authentic Chinese sauces ( I think it was yellow bean that I could smell). Fast and prompt service, but not intrusive, well-priced drinks, a spicy prawn dish that didn't - as I was expecting - come with a few tiny little frozen prawns, oh no, great juicy properly cooked king prawns in quantities. Great!!
Lovely starts too.