“A nice, convenient place to stay”

Aberdeen Marriott Hotel
Ranked #37 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Well positioned close to the airport. Quiet, clean comfortable and friendly. Executive lounge and nice in-house eateries. Staff are capable and knowledgeable about the local area. Would happily return here.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank DrKLeL

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a very comfortable stay here last weekend. Unfortunately we were not able to use the complimentary shuttle service because this was reserved for cabin crew so had to pay £15 for a cab. We had previously phoned the hotel about getting this 'complimentary' service only to be rather rudely told that no, it would not be available for us. The female who answered the phone on Friday afternoon certainly needs to have training as to how to speak to guests. She was fairy abrupt and short and uncalled for.

However, when we arrived in the early hours the gentleman (Canadian, American?) at reception was a true gent in every way, asset to the hotel. Efficient and friendly. Beds very comfortable, breakfast excellent and dinner in the bar was very good, again excellent service and friendly. Pool area is clean and inviting, enjoyed a swim and whirlpool spa.

Only one thing to raise would be to second what has been written before - sound proofing non-existent. We unfortunately stayed the same night as a football team who were loud, drunk and pain in the neck at 2am.

We would stay again, upper floor, and ask to be away from any 'teams' or function parties that are booked in.

Room Tip: Upper floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2013

timotie the restaurant manager was so friendly as well as the chef, seemed genuinely delighted to see guests, which was great as the Eastern European manager seemed intent of ensuring what a poor guest I was.
Poor points
Ordered food in the bar I asked for the bill and was given the bill to sign for, which I did. At the evening meal of the first night the Eastern manager identified us and proceeded to ensure that I understood how I had failed to pay at lunchtime, to add insult to injury proceeded to bring the payment machine to us in the middle of our meal to seek payment immediately, as we were in an organised group this was done in front of a table of other guests. In addition, we had pushed our reservation in the restaurant back an hour which I had personally rang and done. At the end of the meal the same manager came up and explained how the we had not rearranged the time. I explained I had rang down earlier and asked would it be ok. She told me I had rang and booked a table for 2. The restaurant was empty except for our group. The point she was making I was unsure. But I clearly understood by the manager that I was wrong.
The hotel is fine if you are in an organised group, were you literally need somewhere to sleep for a night as the rooms are tidy and nice. The hotel has no outside space except a car park. I think it is a stretch to class this as a four star hotel, generally I think the customers get in the way of the business of running the hotel .

Room Tip: I don't think there is one.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 40Cherryvale
Reviewed July 6, 2013

All i can say is this, A great big thumbs up to the Marriott Hotel Dyce Aberdeen as this is far the best hotel i have stayed in so far.

The staff are eager to help in any way they can they are also very polite, The food is excellent as are the rooms and facilities. If i new they had a swimming pool, gym etc i would of taken my stuff to use them.

Listen people if you are going to Aberdeen and need a good hotel then this is it.

Thank's to all the staff at the Marriott Dyce for a very enjoyable stay and the bar staff for making sure i had all i needed to enjoy my meals.

A very pleased customer

Room Tip: It makes no difference which room you have i'm sure they are all exceptional
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark E
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Marriott in Aberdeen is to me an average hotel. The rooms are pretty good. Spacious with big and very comfortable beds. Unfortunately it seems like they forgot to mount seals around the doors. When it is dark in the room, the light from the hallway makes a nice square around the door. This makes it inefficiently soundproof and you hear absolutely everything that is going on outside your room. Being a scandinavian and not used to a warm breakfasts I would like to see more cold options.
The location is not perfect but good for you that want to avoid the traffic to and from the airport during rush hour. If you don't have a car and want to go down town, it is a 5-10 minute walk to the train station and there after 10 minutes on the train.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed for one night while travelling through Aberdeen airport. A very warm welcome from helpful staff. Room was very clean and spacious with all the usual amenities. Bed was huge with loads of pillows and nice soft sheets leading to a sound nights sleep.
Breakfast next day was pretty good with lots of choice and a decent fry-up.
This hotel charges rather a lot for the use of wi-fi which I find extremely annoying when so many places offer it for free these days.
Otherwise a very pleasant stay that left me relaxed and refreshed to continue my travels.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank damasinnas
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed here on the Marriott Rewards special rate and I have to say on arrival I was a little concerned. The car has no barriers and was virtually full, so I was not surprised when I mentioned this to the desk clerk and she said they were looking at it because it would appear people use the car park who aren't hotel guests. The fact they have allowed this to continue is beyond me because as a paying guest I don't expect to have to search for a car parking space when the hotel is not full because non guests are using it. As there is a Courtyard about to open right opposite the airport I suggest a solution needs to be found and implemented sooner rather than later otherwise regular Marriott loyalists will be migrating to the Courtyard.

Now that issue is out of the way back to the stay. Check in was quick and efficient, I was given room 240 which appeared to have been recently renovated. The room has a safe, tea and coffee making facilities. There was a flat screen TV with a good choice of channels. My rate included breakfast and I found it to be very good with a wide choice of items, even whisky to go with your porridge. I must say that I found the comment of one recent reviewer relating to the staff in the restaurant surprising as my experince was the complete opposite, always greeted straight away by a welcoming good morning; the service was first class. I used the Executive Lounge and the lady there was helpful and cheerful, always willing to meet the needs of the guests and clearing away tables for the next guests quickly.

The hotel has two floors and is located about a 10 minute drive to the airport, on the opposite side of the runway to the terminal buildings and appears to be on the edge of a Business Park, the road to which on weekdays was very busy in the morning and evenings. That said, and with the airport so close, I found the rooms to be very quite. Aberdeen City Centre is about 5 miles away, there appeared to be buses passing the hotel and the train station at Dyce was a short 5 minute or so walk away.

I found it to be an excellent base for exploring the North East corner of Scotland and Speyside in particular. Glenfiddich distillery was about a 50 mile drive and once there Genlivet Distillery is a short drive away. Going north Strathisla Distillery in Keith is well worth a visit too. These are the three I visited, there are more but as they say, you can't visit all of them there are too many but I would definately recommend these three, no charge at Glenfiddich or Glenlivet but at Strathisla there is.

Would I stay here again, yes, as long as they sort out and control the car parking.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo