“The place to go for Real Ale in Aberdeen.”

Carriages at the Brentwood Hotel
Ranked #271 of 711 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Always a good selection of up to 10 real ales, all kept well and taste fantastic.
Very rare indeed.
Food in the bar and resturant I'd rate above average but not quite up there with fine dining.

Reviewed December 3, 2011

My husband and I decided we would have our tea out as we were going to a concert. We plumped for the Brentwood as we had been there before for my son's 21st birthday and been impressed by the menu. I had also checked the sample menu online. It also says it changes every week. The service was excellent. It has also recently been done up. So pity the menu wasn't. I was expecting to get something different, maybe duck or monkfish, something just a bit out of the ordinary as every place in Aberdeen seems to have the same menu. I landed up with the gammon as it was the only 'different' thing on the main course. My husband plumped for one of the specials - haddock. Since when was battered haddock a special. What I had was lovely, plentiful gammon, lovely chips and vegetables done just right. I just wish there had been something more to choose. We live on the edge of Deeside where we have bountiful choice of fresh produce. Venison, pheasant, etc. So why was there nothing like this on the menu. On the sample online, on of the starters was pheasant supreme with cranberry mash. How lovely that would have been as a main. One of the courses was mushrooms and pasta in a cream sauce at the princely price of £13. Very much a profit making dish!!! Also scampi was about same price. If it was homemade fine, but it didn't say so, presuming then it was out of a packet. Pretty expensive packet. The waitress who was very friendly also had very poor English so found it very difficult to tell us what the specials actually were Out of 10 - 6. Sorry Louise and Dave, Aberdeen.

2  Thank loobylou299
Reviewed November 28, 2011

On the occasion we visited we were told they had no scallops, no casserole and only 1 sirloin steak. Very poor for a restaurant. We would not have booked had we known in advance.

Reviewed November 8, 2011

Went in a group for dinner and everyone left feeling happy and stuffed full.

Apperance of the lounge and the restaurant was very good. Looks neat and tidy.

Toilets were fine.

Service was fine.

Everyone thought the food was good. Portion sizes were very large and a few struggled and failed to finish their main course.

The prices for food was slightly up on what I would consider the Aberdeen average but I guess that is offset by the fact portions sizes were very large and quality was good.

The draft Tennents lager was a very good pint here may I add. I'm sure that will influence a few of the men!

All in all everything was good without any aspect to complain about. Deserves a 4 out of 5.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

We have been going to Carriages now for many years on and off but had not been recently so decided to go for supper one evening this month. It was just as I had remembered it. A lovely comfortable restaurant with a cosy old fashioned atmosphere. The food has always been top notch and our recent experience was no different. It tends to be a little more expensive than some other town centre eateries but the quality is evident.
The menu consists of some pub classics like scampi and lasagne but there is some dishes that are a bit different from the norm like monkfish, duck and belly of pork with accompanying sauces
The bar and restaurant are separated but you can eat in either and although we chose to dine in the restaurant the bar is equally appealing.
We certainly won't be so slow in returning here in future.

2  Thank ScfamilyAberdeen