“Loving the old Italian man!”
Review of Basilico - CLOSED

Basilico
Cuisines: Italian
Description: Myself and my husband and our neighbours went to this restaurant on a Saturday night with Groupon vouchers. All we can say is it was truly awful and easily the worst meal we have ever had at a restaurant. Firstly the service was poor - had to wait for our order to be taken, then had to wait for ages for the starter and even longer for the main course. Included in the voucher was 1 free soft drink per person; we never got them and then only got two at the end when we complained. More about that later. We didn't mind the wait as such because we were in good company but the restaurant wasn't busy at all for a Saturday night, which should have been a clue. The starters were the best bit for some, but I had the melon and Parma ham wich was a dried up lump on my plate; my husband had a selection of cold meats which were just place on a plate with 3 olives thrown on top. The other 2 starters were ok. The main course was diabolical. I had the Calzone which was a virtually a lump of dough placed in the middle of a plate and nothing else - the presentation of food was non - exisitant. Two pizzas were ordered and one you couldn't eat because it was swimming in grease, the second was better and was only eaten because the person was starving. Prior to us complaining we heard another couple audibly complainng too. We were the last people to leave but before we did, we complained. The owner was nowhere to be seen so we had to make do with the chef. He started off agreeing the Calzone was undercooked and then when we complained about the other dishes he reminded us that we were using Groupon vouchers. Naturally we replied that this wasn't and excuse to serve well below standard food to which he did agree. The Chef then went on to speak about this problems and how they had sold so many Groupon vouchers that couldn;t cope with the demand (this was a bit odd as the restaurant was very quiet) and the owner had cut the number of staff so it was only him in the kitchen and one waitress and that he was so hacked off he was thinking of just walking out that night because was getting no support. Anyway, because we were using Groupon vouchers, we had prepaid and the Chef claimed he couldn't refund us but did say he wouldn't charge us the £7.50 corkage fee and then gave us only two soft drinks when we should have had 4 but by this time we were past caring. The chef did however give us a ready prepared pepperoni calzone to take away which was in fact very nice. We did leave a mobile number for the owner to contact us but he never did. Certainly would never recommend anyone to eat here - it really is terrible.
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This place is right next to where I live so after a couple of months of it opening I decided to try it. The staff were friendly but not all over you and as you can bring your own wine, you can save on that. I went with a friend, to start we got lovely foccacia and breads with olive and balsamic vinegar. I got a pizza and my friend got a pasta dish, can't remember the name. My pizza was fresh and cleary straight out of the oven, absolutely delicious. From then on, I have always got my pizza from here, unbeatable in Aberdeen.