“Looking forward to a return visit!”
Review of Atholl Hotel

Atholl Hotel
Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Cumberland Center, Maine
“Looking forward to a return visit!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

A VERY warm welcome from the staff, and they were warm and friendly throughout my stay. Breakfast was nice, with LOTS of options, hot and cold. Evening meals were tasty. (Only negative was the cole slaw.) Otherwise, I had a lovely visit and I look forward to returning!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room #23, a single that, other than being able to easily hear the snoring from adjacent...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
AthollHotelAberdeen, Director of Sales at Atholl Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Good afternoon and thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. It is great to hear that you had a pleasant visit to Aberdeen and that you enjoyed your time at the Atholl. Your comments will be passed on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
City, StateAberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I dine here with a group of friends on a regular basis, and the dining room, as well as the bar area, is always full. The food is consistently good, the service friendly but unobtrusive. I noted the review from Al D, and found it unbelievable that we were writing about the same place...and the "fish and chips" which he appears to think overpriced, is an excellent portion of fresh haddock.
Yesterday, we all seemed to choose different options, and absolutely none of the eight of us was disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
AthollHotelAberdeen, Director of Sales at Atholl Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Good afternoon, thank you for your recent review regarding your visit to the Atholl. It is great to hear our regulars are still enjoying our food and service on every visit. We pride ourselves on having a great team along with great food. Your comments will be passed on to the staff who will be delighted to hear them. We look forward to seeing you at Atholl in the near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have eaten at this hotel for various occasions, work related which has been upstairs and family meals and leaving do's when we have a lunch. Recently though it was really bad the food and the service, I think they take too many bookings and it is so busy for the staff, no fault of their own. The food is very ordinary and one of the ladies in my company had to put back her pasta, under the lights too long. Their menu is not the dearest in Aberdeen but you expect to get a nice fresh meal. A lot of places now do fresh cut chips, maybe with a cost but worth it, frozen ones are bland.
Not sure if I will hurry back, it is handy for parking and having nice surroundings but that is all!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review regarding your recent meal at the Atholl. It is disappointing to hear that did not enjoy your visit. We are indeed very busy with locals and hotel guests in the evenings and the weekends. As you will be aware the bar and front hall area are first come first served areas and unfortunately most people do like to dine at similar times which can make the hotel very busy for meals.
Your comments regarding the food and service have been passed on to the relevant departments. We hope to welcome you back to the Atholl in the future.

Banchory, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have eaten here on many occasions over the past few years and it has always been okay without being anything special and the service good. Good for lunch with some work mates. Okay bar food but no gastro pub. My visit yesterday was terrible, my curry, which is normally okay, was terrible. The sauce was from a tin/jar etc and had a skin over it from being pre plated and sat under warming lights for too long. The 4 condiments were mango chutney, ok, desiccated coconut, really, raisins?? and pieces of tinned peaches??? It was all very bland. My wife's chilli bowl was bland as well and consisted of very cheap over ground mince, not steak mince, and onion, not a bean in sight, it was terrible and chilli is a basic thing to cook and should be easy to make a good one. The sour cream was cream with lime added. This is not sour cream. When we complained the waiter questioned the chef who said it was fresh that morning and was in fact cream with lime added. You would only, maybe, do this if you ran out of sour cream which is cream that has been cultured like yogurt. Anyone calling themselves a chef would know this and real sour cream is readily available and cheap. Other meals I saw looked worse than ours, a plate of mince and tatties looked like something I remember from school dinners. I would have had fish and chips but I am not paying £13.95 for battered fish with frozen chips and peas.
Do not eat here until they have a good look at what they are doing the food is terrible and overpriced. Service was okay.

3 Thank Al D
AthollHotelAberdeen, Director of Sales at Atholl Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review for your recent visit to the Atholl. I was surprised to hear that you did not enjoy your meal with us. The Atholl Curry with condiments has been a firm favourite with our guests for many years. It is most certainly not from a jar or a tin. We do apologies if you feel the curry was not up to your standards.
We have taken on board your comments regarding the sour cream, which has now been changed. It is a pity that you did not choose to discuss the other issues raised whilst you were speaking to the Assistant Manager, who could have clarified your concerns.
We do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here last weekend whilst visiting friends. This hotel is very good, have no doubts. It is like a little journey back in time. Rooms are spotless, but the service from the reception staff is fantastic. Very , very helpful . Probably the best service I've had at a hotel, to be honest.

Breakfast is really nice and plentiful. The only criticism is the dinner I had on the Friday night was just a tad dry, but nothing drastic.

Our room was great and also very quiet.

Again, I'll mention the reception staff, one in particular who was there when we arrived and also there on the Saturday. Her customer care was outstanding.

We will stay here again and I would highly recommend the Atholl.

1 Thank Tonyh190
AthollHotelAberdeen, Director of Sales at Atholl Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Good Morning,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Atholl. It is great to hear that our customers are receiving fantastic service from our team. Our reception staff will be delighted to hear your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Atholl on your next trip to Aberdeen.

Glenrothes, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

First visit, rooms were very very good, bed very comfortable,furnishings well looked after and all the same. Decoration through the hotel is simply lovely. staff in the bar were very nice and friendly. Food was very good.Over all we had a very nice stay and would highly recommend it for a stay.

Good morning Edith,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review for your recent stay. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at the Atholl. Your complimentary comments will be passed on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Stockbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had the sad duty to travel to Aberdeen recently to attend the funeral of my best friend. The Atholl is situated opposite the old studios of Aberdeen's local radio station, Northsound, where Paul and I began our careers in broadcasting in the early 1980s. In those days, our radio station had three studios (A,B and C), so the Atholl inevitably became known as Studio D, as in "See you in Studio D in half an hour".

The old girl has changed a bit since those days, with an extension to provide more bedrooms and a stylish refurbishment of the bar and restaurant areas. But when I arrived in the evening after an exhausting 600 mile drive it was clear that the original ethos hadn't changed much - local customers enjoying dinner and a few drinks in a friendly and buzzy atmosphere.

The menu features the usual suspects, but to my delight the management have retained what they describe as Atholl Classics, basically traditional Scottish cooking such as Scotch Broth, Mince and Skirlie (fried oatmeal) and, joy of joy, Stovies. For non Scottish readers, stovies is peasant food, potatoes and onions fried up with whatever leftover meat the family might have. These all pressed the right nostalgia buttons for me and, although this kind of cuisine is probably hell on the arteries, generations of Scots have been weaned on this stuff.

A really nice touch was that mini-portions of complimentary stovies were offered round the bar, and I can confirm that they are the real deal. Like Scottish tapas, though that may be a stretch!

The mostly young staff (many students I expect) charged about all evening serving food and drinks under the watchful eye of the manager and his assistant. Cheerful and efficient, can't fault them.

My room was spacious, well appointed (Sky TV as standard) and spotless. A rarity these days was a full length bath in which I soaked away the weary journey.

My only criticism, and it's a minor one, is that in order to access my room I had to ascend a flight of stairs and then almost immediately descend another set. A tunnel would be better! But after industrial quantities of Scotch at the wake (we media folk like a drink), this proved a bit challenging, so full marks to the charming young man who guided me safely back to the room.

I stayed three nights and the bill was just south of £400, but that was including drinks and meals charged to the room. Maybe not cheap, but Aberdeen is a very affluent city and nowhere is really.

So a 100% recommendation if you ever visit my home town. I just hope that your trip is undertaken in happier circumstances than mine.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JonT999
AthollHotelAberdeen, Director of Sales at Atholl Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your review for your recent stay at the Atholl. It is great to hear that you chose to stay here, unfortunately in such sad circumstances. There are many of the team here that still remember the Northsound crew coming over for food and 'refreshments'. The Stovies we serve in the bar on a Friday evening have become a favourite over the years with the locals and guests and they will continue for many years to come. We do hope to welcome you back in the near future, hopefully in happier circumstances.