“rubbish”

Aberdeen Science Centre
Ranked #39 of 156 things to do in Aberdeen
More attraction details
Owner description: Aberdeen Science Centre, formally Satrosphere, is Scotland's first science and discovery centre. Originally opened in 1988 we have been engaging people with science for over 21 years. Our interactive, hands-on exhibits and live science shows help our visitors discover more about the world around them and the science of how things work. The Tramsheds Coffee House has been outsourced to Hudsons Catering, serving fresh coffee and homemade cakes daily A visit to Aberdeen Science Centre is not to be missed.
Reviewed August 12, 2012

walked in and thought is this it? and sadly it was. The staff were good and telling us there were talks etc but there was nothing to keep us there for the two hours until the talks alot of the things either didnt work or had no instructions. Was quite expensive and the kids were left underwhelmed and they are the real judges when it comes to places like this will not return

1  Thank debbie h
SciLyn, Manager at Aberdeen Science Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

I am so sorry that your visit did not meet your expectations. We are aware that some of our exhibits are quite tired and we do try to ensure that we always have a fantastic programme of shows and workshops available for our visitors. I am sorry that on this occasion it wasn't what you would have hoped to see.
Kindest regards

in 6 reviews
"workshop"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We spent a couple of hours in the science centre today. My 3 boys had a great time. We thoroughly enjoyed the goldilocks renewable energy show. Goldilocks was fab, the boys thought he/she was very funny! I was very impressed at the stock in the shop. I gave my boys only £2 each to spend, there was plenty of choice within their price range and they were very happy with their purchases.

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your visit and it was lovely to get some feedback about our science shop. I hope we can welcome you to the centre again soon.
Best wishes

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Having visited satrosphere science centre on Monday 16th July I am disappointed to read the negative comment below me as we had an excellent day! Fair enough some of the exhibits are suffering from "old age" but there was still plenty to do.
On arrival we were greeted by a lovely young lady (Elaine I think) who clearly and passionately explained all the shows that were going on that day speaking directly to the children so they could decide what they wanted to do.
After playing on the exhibit floor for a while we were shown some experiments that the children could perform at home (uh oh) by Chris who the kids couldn't stop talking about on the way home...Chris is amazing apparently.
The younger children attended a workshop about heat which was very interesting, hands on and appropriate for their age group. We all came out feeling like we had learnt something and the kids loved Lorraine.
I agree with comments that the renewable energy show could be better, and the video is hard to follow but the two staff members were excellent engaging with audience, particularly the bearded goldilocks.
We also took part in a quiz, despite being a basic concept it was enjoyable.
On leaving we visited the shop and purchased a few reasonably priced toys before being asked of we enjoyed our day. My grandsons said they loved it but were disappointed that they didn't see the bubbles, Elaine promptly found the bearded goldilocks who took us through to the bubbles. This topped off an excellent day, the staff were very attentive and I would recommend this to families with small children as an excellent day out.

SciLyn, Manager at Aberdeen Science Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments. I'm really glad that you had a great day and that the kids enjoyed their visit. We know that as the oldest science centre in Scotland (we're 23 you know) some of our exhibits are showing signs of old age but we do try to make sure that we keep everything in working order and fun to play with.

We always share reviews with our staff so it's lovely that you were able to mention people by name. We are looking at the show. With these things you have to try them to see how they work before you can make adjustments to improve so feedback is particularily important and greatly appreciated.

Hopefully we can welcome you back to Satrosphere soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Oh dear - we had such high hopes for Satrosphere. However, what we found was basically a large room with perhaps 3 dozen or so "hands on" science exhibits. Out of which, I would guess that at least 20-30% were faulty or at best, useless.

One of the exhibits required you to pedal a bicycle wheel in order to get a train to move. My trousers got ripped on that exhibit. I did complain to the staff, and they took my details and said that they would sort something out - perhaps free tickets (like I'd go back! I just want my trousers replaced).

But personal annoyance on that particular exhibit aside, there was a giant game of operation (that was out of order), some interactive videos (no sound through any of the headphones), a resonance bowl that requires you to get the palms of your hands wet, but yet is full of water that looks like it has NEVER been changed, and a few other non-exciting things to do.

There was a small science display put on by one of the members of staff that comprised of 3 or 4 basic experiments that would entertain the kids for a matter of 5 minutes, and then there was the talk on renewable energy which was diabolical to say the least! The balance was so totally wrong - the first 2/3rds had the kids involved in generating electricity by using pedal power, a solar panel and a small wind turbine. Then after that, was a video presentation on hydro power which at some points baffled me!

Would I go to Satrosphere again? Not at all. It's not an expensive place to visit, but there is not enough to keep the kids interested for more than an hour.

2  Thank Chris M

I am sorry to hear that your visit to Satrosphere did not meet your expectations, and for this, I apologise. We take all feedback very seriously and encourage all of our visitors to give us constructive feedback during their visit which allows us to remedy any issues immediately.

I have written to you directly to address the points you have made but if I can be of any further assistance in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the centre on 01224 640340.