“Great and intimate hotel!”

Ferryhill House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 103 Aberdeen B&B and Inns
Kentucky
“Great and intimate hotel!”
Reviewed October 4, 2007

Loved Ferryhill House Hotel. It's a charming hotel with excellent staff. Clean and lovely rooms. Fabulous restaurant and adjoining pub with crackling fire to keep you warm on those chilly Scottish nights. Everyone was friendly and helpful and it was centrally located so we could walk to the city centre and train station. But it was also in quiet nice neighborhood for privacy and peace.

There are only 9 rooms, which makes it even more special. Great food!

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank termede

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
berkshire
Reviewed August 26, 2007

Hotel was good, excellent location,food fantastic and the staff were very friendly. The rooms were a litle to hot maybe fans would be good in the summer months, or top sheets instead of heavy quilts. Building work going on at moment, did hear a little noise during the night, did not spoil our stay.

The hotel is very popular with the locals in Aberdeen, the only negative comment I would like to mention was the way smokers sit on the front steps - the main entrance to the hotel . Did not like walking through the cigarette smoke .Maybe signs should be put up stopping this happening, did notice this was the case on other bars in Abedeen.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms too hot
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lynnph
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2007

We were so disappointed with the food - had arranged to meet friends for dinner and the pork that 3 of us ordered was so tough that you could hardly chew it! Had anticipated it though as we had overheard two women complain about it as well.

I wrote a letter of complaint as it was an expensive meal at the quality that we received but to this day have still not recieved a reply,which is really, really disappointing customer service.

Six of us will not be back.......

• Stayed May 2007
1 Thank Smiley2!
traveller1Scotland, Owner at Ferryhill House Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2007
My husband and I take all forms of criticism very seriously. After receiving a letter regarding the disappointing experience these people had with their meal at the hotel, we discussed the pork dish in question with our chefs and have now removed it from our menu. A full refund was sent for the main courses which were not up to our usual high standard. It is our aim that everyone visiting the hotel and restaurant enjoys their time with us and we are confident that in the vast majority of cases we live up to the very high standards which we set.
Julie Lyon
Province of Alicante, Spain
Reviewed December 13, 2006

Well where to start; I was going to Aberdeen on business and knew that I would be there for several weeks so the travel lodge I might usually use for an overnighter was out of the question. (Who in their right mind would spend more than 1 night in a travel lodge?) I wanted to find somewhere comfortable with decent food, a bar and at a reasonable price - IN ABERDEEN!!!!
I've no chance - or so I thought...... What do I do when I go on holiday, I pondered, hmmmm.....? Trip advisor.
Once again guys you didn't let me down, what a wee gem! The staff are polite, helpful and friendly, the food was very good indeed, and plentiful portions. I would recommend that the chef try and introduce a bit more variety though, I suspect with his talent he could afford to be a little more adventurous! The rooms were clean and comfortable although there is most assuredly a problem with the water pressure in room 7. A couple of occasions I was left in the shower lathered up with nothing coming out of the shower head to rinse me off. I suspect this had to do with the building work on their extension which should be finished in the New Year I think.
This small family run hotel is clean, comfortable, welcoming and is very centrally situated. All in all real value for money. Trip report from Latvia coming up in the New Year. Keep up the good work guys!

• Liked — The warmth and helpfullness of the staff.
  • Disliked — Water pressure
  • Tips/Secrets — Book way in advance and also book your table for dinner.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank AceOspades
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2006

Great Hotel Comfy Rooms and Excellent Selection of Malts and Real Ales in the busy friendly bar. Excellent Breakfast too.

• Liked — Great Bar
  • Disliked — Walking from City centre in the rain
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DerbyDave
inverness
Reviewed November 17, 2006

My fiance & I stayed here for 2 nights at the start of November, we had never stayed here before but after reading a couple reviews of other sites were glad we did.
The hotel is small about 9 rooms, has a public bar & seperate restaurant.
On our arrival we were surprised at how busy it was & had a problem trying to get parked, they seemed very busy in the restaurant which was a good sign.
The room we had was big, clean and comfortable although we did reckon could probably do with a wee face lift as decor was alittle dated. We didn eat in restaurant on our 1st night, but decided to on our 2nd and were more than happy with the menu and the service was excellent they couldn't do enough for you, but I would advise anyone wanting to eat in the restaurant to book your table as they managed squeeze us in but did advise us that would need table back for a certain time which we were happy enough with as we had plans for rest evenng.
The hotel is very central and easy to find by car, but you needn't take car into do shopping as is only about a 10min walk and saves on the parking charges which are awful in aberdeen.
We would recommend anyone to stay here and also even just for a meal, and if we are back in aberdeen for a night again would def try to book in here again.

• Liked — How central it was
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank scottish-lass2
UK
Reviewed September 30, 2006

Spent one night at the Ferryhill House in September, on a business trip. Arrived very late and very tired, but even the outside of the hotel was welcoming in the drizzle. It was about half an hour's walk from the train station, up and down hill.

I checked in at around 2230 and asked about dinner options: nowhere in town would be open at that time, so the manageress kindly made me a baked potato with chilli. I found the room clean, cosy and spacious. Although it was a standard room, there were lots of nice features: planty of plug sockets, hot chocolate in the courtesy tray and wireles internet. Nice bathroom with a good strong shower. On leaving, the breakfast was very generous and well-cooked.

The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. My overall impression is that although this looks like a fairly standard hotel, it's got lots of nice extras that make it a good place to stay.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Not central
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't walk from the station
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Nonamesorry