“Cults Hotel, Aberdeen - December 2011”
Review of Cults Hotel

Cults Hotel
Ranked #50 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Newtonhill, United Kingdom
“Cults Hotel, Aberdeen - December 2011”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Stayed with my partner on Hogmany as wanted somewhere quiet, reasonably priced but also pleasant. Having dined at the excellent restaurant several times we were unlucky that it was booked up, however this was our fault for making a last minute booking. There was a Subway across the road so we went for this and ate in the room for some fine dining! On a serious note, the restaurant at the Cults Hotel is highly recommended.

We looked at the rooms on Tripadvisor and the one we got was very cosy with a little balcony. The view wasn't the most romantic (an allotment) but was still pleasant and overall the room was very cosy and welcoming with a nice bathroom and well worth the £75 we paid. For the bells we popped downstairs to the cosy bar at the back for a few drinks before retiring to the comfy bed. Breakfast in the morning was included and didn't disappoint.

As we are local to the area we won't stay here often, but if you are coming up to Aberdeen and not too fussed about being right in the city centre then I'd definitely recommend staying here.

Overall rating 5/5.

Pro's: Excellent hotel overall, first class food, welcoming atmosphere.
Con's: Limited car parking, 10 - 15 minute drive from city centre.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Hotels in Aberdeen are so expensive but The Cults Hotel is only 3 miles out of the city centre and offers good value for money. Very friendly staff and the food is excellent. The rooms are nicely decotated and the beds are very comfotable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
aberdeen
Reviewed January 25, 2012

The Cults Hotel is a great place to meet up with friends for a meal. There is quite a large menu - but the food is always good. Be warned portions can be very large!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Spent a night at this hotel while attending a wedding in a nearby hotel. Staff really friendly. Room was warm, welcoming and well decorated with an extremely comfortable bed. Food was excellent. Car parking was a nightmare as it is far from clear where the car park starts and stops. The result was a parking ticket courtesy of Aberdeen City Council. This and only this means we are unlikely to return as what would have been real value for money turned out to be rather more expensive than expected. The Council and the Hotel need to get together and get this sorted.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Stayed here one night whilst on business and upon a recommendation from a friend. The hotel is on the outskirts of Aberdeen and in a quiet suburb. Parking is at a premium, but you should eventually be able toget a space. I had asked for a quiet room at the end of a corridor which, on first impressions is roughly what I got. The rooms are very tastefully decorated and I would go as far to say that it is of the quality of a 4 or 5 star hotel, given that the bed was also one of these super king sized things.

things were going quite well until I heard a mobile phone going in th room next to me. As the gentleman in the next room answered his call, not only could I hear his side of the conversation, but also that of the person on the other end of the line. I gave the wall a light tap and noted that it would appear the rooms are only separated by a stud partition wall with little or no soundproofing. It was further confirmed when the lady in the other room also took a phone call and again could make out every word. Now fortunately, neither of them were loud snorers and neither watched the tv too late, so I had a very sound sleep, but I cold imagine this being a problem for others.

The had a meal at the restaurant downstairs as the food came highly recommended. I was directed to a table which I sat at, but I noticed that every time someone walked past me, the table and all of its contents lurched to one side, because of a group of obviously loose floorboards under the carpet. it annoyed me so much, I moved to the other seat to minimise its effect. I ordered Lasagne, as the other meals were a bit too grandiose for my liking. It did say it came topped with cheddar cheese, but they didn't say it comprised of a large layer of cheddar cheese. It was way too much and nothing like a genuine oven cooked lasagne, so sorry guys, bit of a letdown here.

The staff were great and the value of the room tariff also good, but I couldNt let this pass without comment.

Room Tip: At the very end of a corridor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank gazburns
Moray Scotland
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Having been to this hotel many times over the last 12 yrs I want to say that the food is consistently excellent.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Cornwall
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Visiting the nearby Camphill Village at Newton Dee, I was looking for somewhere to stay and found the Cults Hotel on the internet. As my stay would be split between a 2-night and 1-night stop I rang to discuss prices, rather than try and book on-line. The receptionist was pleasant and helpful (and remembered me when I saw her later).
Arriving by taxi from the airport (£19.50) in the early evening for the 2-night stay the reception was unstaffed, so (wheeling my suitcase) I went through the restaurant behind reception to ask the busy barman if I could sign in, which wasn't a problem, but I felt a bit intrusive. (My problem, not the hotel's).
Having signed in I took the lift upstairs for Room 1. I was gobsmacked! I hadn't expected anything like a room such as this! Huge, *very comfortable indeed*, and clean with an enormous bed, and probably the best hotel shower I've ever found.
The only slight downside was the view (there wasn't one), and the shaving light was broken, but that didn't matter as the light in the bathroom was plenty bright enough.
Returning downstairs to the restaurant I was again pleasantly surprised by the variety of dishes on offer, and plumped for Cajun Chicken followed by coffee and a whisky (well, it is Scotland!). This came to £21, which I felt was a reasonable price.
At breakfast the next morning I discovered the true meaning of a "Full Scottish Breakfast". The word "Full" is a good one, and I wondered when I would next feel hungry!
Returning later in the week for my 1-night stay I was a bit taken aback to be told that there was a function on, so to give me a good night's sleep they had decided to put me in the "Annex" (Room 13). This is accessed via a door next to the local post-office, and a VERY steep and somewhat faded flight of stairs behind it. (no lift). I really wondered what I'd find, if this wasn't the main part of the hotel, but need not have worried. My room was as big, clean, bright and comfortable as Room 1, with what appeared to be a brand-new bathroom. My only slight concern was that the shower-head did not connect properly to the shower-hose, so leaked constantly when in operation. I also discovered that the toilet cistern needed adjusting as the flush didn't stop. And the TV wouldn't turn off, which was an interesting scenario.(the remote needed new batteries, I thinkl). I also didn't find the coffee-making facilities until I was about to leave the next morning - I had obviously not been looking for them properly! (But I slept soundly and I didn't hear any sound at all from the function in the main building). I reported my minor concerns when I booked out, and the receptionist said she would take note.
I would stay here again without a moments hesitation. Though its on a main road there was no sound of traffic at all. Buses pass by regularly, too, so its easily accessible from Aberdeen, though if you're going to or from the airport use a taxi as the traffic into the city is incredibly slow.

Room Tip: Room 1 and 13 were on the back of the hotel. Annex not accessible by disabled people, as far as I co...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family