“Outstanding B & B”

The Jays Guest House
Ranked #3 of 103 Aberdeen B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Excellent hosts, 5 star accomodations, good location. I highly recommend for anyone going to Aberdeen. Near downtown, expo center, and restaurants. Close to the shore and golfing. Comfortable bedding, nice décor and furnishings. Parking available in back of house.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Merton T
GeorgeJennings, Owner at The Jays Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Hi Mert
Thank you for your promised review. It is much appreciated and it was a pleasure to meet with you, albeit for a short period of time. Hope you enjoyed your golfing experience and we look forward to seeing you again.

Regards,

Alice and George.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Thanks you George and Alice for such a wonderful stay. My very elderly mother ( 93) stayed much of the time in her room but had a pleasant view, flat screen TV, comfy chair and a nice chat with the cleaner while we got on with what we had to do in Aberdeen.
There is close proximity to the city centre, excellent access for a walk/run on the beach and good transport links outside the front of the house
Our rooms were spotless and beds very very comfortable and plenty of hot water. Breakfasts were delicious and having mentioned that my abiding memories of Aberdeen were of Buttery Rowies, Lo and behold they appeared at breakfast the next day !! now thats service you don't get everywhere......
Thank you both for a stressfree experience on our visit

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank EnglandAnders
GeorgeJennings, Owner at The Jays Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Thank you for your positive review. I am so glad that your mother enjoyed her stay, she is a remarkable lady. Hope to see you again under happier circumstances for your family.

Alice and George

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed two nights, no fuss, or drama. A clean, friendly and well run guest house. Comfortable bed, free internet, great shower and a breakfast that will leave you not needing a lunch. A small Tesco’s 2 minutes easy walk away, a few pubs around and an Indian take-away 3 minutes up the road………

Only one small niggle, No hot food allowed in the rooms.

All in all I recommend ‘The Jays’ and would happily stay there again when visiting Aberdeen.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Bill253
GeorgeJennings, Owner at The Jays Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Hi
Thank you for the review of your stay at The Jays Guest House and that you enjoyed the facilities and breakfast provided. We do not allow hot food in our bedrooms, because before long the aroma of stale food, would soon permeate the whole house. We do of course allow any other food or beverages to be consumed within our rooms.

Regards,

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed in The Jays Guesthouse while I was in Aberdeen for a university interview. I was made very welcome after a long journey and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. There is a bus stop close by, and the bus only takes a few minutes to get into city centre. The room was comfortable and cosy and the breakfast ext morning was top notch! I would recommend this guesthouse to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank lorns_mcm
GeorgeJennings, Owner at The Jays Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Hi
Thank you for your review and Alice and I are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your positive remarks encourages us to redouble our efforts in maintaining our standards and helps to maximise our enjoyment in what we do.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Excellent service and a very homely feeling in the Guesthouse. Personal service excellent when I forgot to take breakfast in time, due to a wonderful walk at the seaside! The location is perfect: very close to the campus, to the seaside - in short: the beste in Aberdeen!
Hans Schaeffer

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Hans S
GeorgeJennings, Owner at The Jays Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Hi Hans
Thank you for your positive review and it was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you don't already know, Aberdeen is a city where finding accommodation is a major undertaking at the best of times, booking a B&B even month or more in advance is impossible, and where an non-prebooked taxi between 4-8 is a miracle - all these things thanks to the booming oil & gas industry, and its annual swelling student population due to several universities. I was lucky enough to stay off the cold street by pre-booking Jays well in advance, ending up staying here on and off during the course of one month. George & Alice were excellent hosts, nothing was too much for them, they were even kind enough on occasions to store some of my things as they are not open Fri onto Sat and Sat onto Sunday (rightly taking their well-deserved break). Genuine lovely people, who look after you, but dont fall over themselves fussing over their guests, so if you expect some sort of 24/7 hotel style attention, this is not a place for you. Similarly, if the kinda "cosy grandma's place" decoration a la early 90s irritates you, then look elsewhere.

My only little qualm about the place, is that the bed, at least in room 9 where I stayed for the first week, was rather ancient, with metal spirals protruding and not contributing to good sleep, affecting one's back as it kinda sinks and there wasnt sufficient hard or other mattrass toper to make it more rewarding sleeping experience. Single bed in Room 7 where I stayed for the rest of the month was totally fine though. Last note, to those noise-prone, the windows to my understanding, were not double-glazed, and it being located in one of major Aberdeen thoroughfares, King St, it was noisy, downstairs in particular, so ask for upstairs room. My single room upstairs was too noisy to sleep in with open window even though it faces onto not so attractive carpark, tombstone makers and the sea. So bring ear-plugs if that's something that is important to you. The place is super clean, and Chris the housekeeper is delightful and has been with the hosts for some decades.

I had breakfast there only once, full English to me was average and wasn't worth the £10 extra, but I guess if you are on company account, then it's worthwhile if only to stop you travelling 20min by bus to town, and they had decent choice of little cereal boxes, yoghurt and fruit. The breakfast room, in that old fashioned English style, was very small and cosy.

Would I recommend this place, most certainly, the £60 for a single may seem unreasonable by London standards, but for Aberdeen prices and the service you get, it's well worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for room upstairs, less noisy; Single rm 7 perfect for solo traveller
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank l-globetrotter

Hi Lillia
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, but I feel I have to reply to some of your observations. The Jays is our HOME and as such is decorated to our tastes. We have attempted to create a homely atmosphere and not a sterile one that is sometimes present in other establishments that try to mimic hotel décor.
Secondly, the bed in Room 9 is not 'rather ancient' nor has it 'metal spirals protruding.' Our 4 star rating precludes us from having beds to the standard as you describe. I questioned at least 3 other guests, who subsequently slept in that same bed and not one of them complained regarding their sleep quality or state of the bed.
Let me assure you that ALL the windows in The Jays are double glazed and I am at a loss to understand how you would have come to a different conclusion. We have attempted to make the car-park as pleasing to the eye as possible, by landscaping - see web site. However I have no control over adjoining buildings.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I believe I got the last available bed in Aberdeen (due to a cancellation) but luck was with me on that day. The welcome I received from George and Alice was outstanding. The Scottish media want to have a look at The Jays Guest House before they print their negative remarks. The Jays Guest House is homely and spotlessly clean, It is very comfortable quiet and reassuring, hence I slept like a log! I would strongly recommend anyone who is visiting Aberdeen to stay with George and Alice.
Roddy MacKinnon

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Roddy M
GeorgeJennings, Owner at The Jays Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Hi Roddy

Thank you for your wonderful review - Alice and I are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It gives us so much pleasure to know that our guests appreciate our efforts to make their stay with us, enjoyable and satisfying.