“Relaxing break”

Ranked #29 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Hawick
“Relaxing break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Recently stayed in a family room for 4, two adults and two kids, aged 8 and 6, it was spacious, very clean and comfy with great attention to detail. All the staff were attentive and welcoming and the atmosphere was relaxed throughout. There was an excellent choice of food at breakfast, served buffet style. We dined in adjoining Molly's Bistro in the evening, again food was good and there was a nice kids menu.
The hotel is in a central location and I understand is presently in the middle of a complete re-furbishment. The only negative point on this occasion was re. the car park which is on a small area of waste ground nearby, it has very tight spaces with minimal room to negotiate manoeuvres, unsure if this will be re-vamped too. There is a multi storey near by if this is full. Would return and recommend The Douglas hotel.

Room Tip: Understand hotel is in mid re-furb, ensure room has been re vamped because we had to complain about...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Susan M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
Hamilton, South Lanarkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

I turned up early to leave my bag at the hotel to go shopping when I was told my room was ready & I could check in early which made my day first of all.
The room was great, very comfortable & the shower was amazing!
The breakfast buffet had a good selection too.
The staff were all friendly & accommodating.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Deb0579
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

My friends and I spent a great night at The Aberdeen Douglas Hotel. The reception staff were warm and welcoming and quickly checked us in to two twin rooms.
The rooms were very pleasant and the beds particularly comfortable.
We ate in the Bistro and the food and service were great. We were given recommendations by staff for a night out in Aberdeen but we were told we wouldn't go far wrong with Malones bar at the hotel and that certainly proved to be good advice. We enjoyed the live music and the great atmosphere and wished we could have spent another night at the hotel.
The rooms were very quiet and after a good nights sleep we had a very hearty breakfast.
The central location of the hotel was ideal for shopping and was only a few minutes walk from the train station.
I have previously stayed in a couple of other hotels in Aberdeen but definitely would choose the Aberdeen Douglas Hotel again as I found in to be much more friendly and perfectly located for central Aberdeen.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MissMorningside2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

From the moment we arrived the staff were so welcoming, polite and helpful. Rooms were beautifully clean and the decoration was lovely! Breakfast had a good range of food and drink. Also the hotel is located right in the centre of Aberdeen so it was only a 4 minute walk to the train station. Perfect! Definitely recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Razzy L
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

We're just back from this hotel and I have too say it was beyond all my expectations lovely the first impression of the foyer was a pleasant surprise as from the outside it looked a bit shabby .. The the staff were very friendly and helpfull our room which was room 201 turned out to be right above the pub but as soon as I complained about the noise we were moved to another room without any problems this actually turned out a bigger and better room ... We ate in the bistro that evening and it was really lovely again staff lovely and helpful I will definatly be back at this hotel it was delightfull ..

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room above the pub
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Inverness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

I was not impressed with this hotel at all. There were 5 of us staying for work for a total of 12 days. The check in went well but that was about as far as it went. I was given an apartment which was ok inside, a little damp smelling and the finish wasn't great. The down side was it wasn't actually part of the hotel and was across the road with no cameras as far as I could see. With me being a young female I found myself being very nervous going in to the property later at night because there was quite often a number of men hanging around quite close to the doorway and even sometimes in the door way, some rather drunk due to there being a few pubs near by. The other people were given rooms in the hotel which were said to be small, very warm and almost impossible to sleep in, partially because of the heat and otherwise because of the constant noise of seagulls when they opened the windows to get some fresh air in. With our food the company had given us an allowance which I believe the hotel may get regardless of whether we use it or not that may have impacted on the service given. We often had very a long wait for them to take our order then the same to receive the food with people coming in after us getting theirs first! when we did get the food over the range of the 6 days we actually ate there before getting fed up, the food was overcooked, under cooked, RAW, the wrong order totally, chips slung off the plate when serving to us and desserts were quite often given to us melted (ice cream). The longest we had was from half 7 until 15 past 10 for a two course meal for 3 and a 3 course meal for the other 2. The staff were sometimes very hard to communicate with and the restaurant manager was very stand offish with us. I was woken up every morning without fail by house keeping even though I had my still sleeping sign on my door which was not very pleasant as I was working a nightshift whilst there. There was a lot of noise from the pub out the back, I do understand the hotel isn't in control of this but it would perhaps be good of them to liase with them because I was woken up by a man sanding wood out the back at 8.45 on sunday morning! The laundry bags weren't replaced, I was constantly having to go back and forth to reception to get bags for it and at one point was given laundry back that wasn't even mine. I would not stay here again, if I have to go back with work I will be requesting they use another hotel and will be informing friends going to Aberdeen to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Lana4203
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

Stayed here for one night as 2 couples . Booked the exec room over standard room for extra £30 . Room was nice but expected more . Staff were always very helpful and friendly . Hotel was very clean . Only real downside was being near the harbour ( we were facing it wit a few buildings inbetween us ) and the noise of the seagulls through the night was a pain . Oh and the knob to empty the bath was broke so couldn't empty it but didn't matter . Very near great pubs and shopping . Would stay here again .

Room Tip: Parking is round the back of the hotel and tricky to find if never been before . I google mapped it...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple