“Servicable hotel”
Review of Rox Hotel

Rox Hotel
Ranked #52 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed July 14, 2013

A pleasant enough room with some smart, modern furniture. Very clean and tidy. The "Restaurant 21" was almost empty but the food was very nice. Had a smoked salmon starter followed by their own interpretation of a chicken chasseur with some rather nice tarragon dumplings. The staff were very attentive without being over-keen. The only problem was the surrounding nightlife of Aberdeen! There are some very loud bars/clubs around the hotel and the noise raged on to nearly 4 pm - not good - I realize this is not the hotels fault but do consider it if you need a sound sleep!

Maybe the hotel could sound-proof their windows a bit? Not sure what would be possible here.

What is handy though is its proximity to the ferry terminal which I was headings for that following day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I recently had a conference at this hotel. Following the conference, approximately half the delegates stayed for dinner in the restaurant. I have to admit that we had two large tables with approximately 12 on each table - maybe slightly more. I don't feel that the hotel had hired enough staff to cater for our large party. Once seated in the restaurant, we seemed to wait a long time for any drinks - even jugs of water. Bread rolls were then served before we were offered any alcohol. We had pre-ordered our meal so there shouldn't have been that many problems but there seemed to be one poor waiter expected to take out all the plates and he just couldn't cope. Eventually, he was given some assistance but the hotel should have been better prepared for our arrival. I had the scallops and black pudding to start which was lovely. However, my main course of fish and chips with mushy peas was average. I wouldn't have been happy if I'd been paying the bill. The wine that was chosen for us however was lovely and there was plenty of it. The staff at this hotel were very friendly though and I couldn't fault their professionalism. I wouldn't however rush back to eat here. Also, our conference was in the main ballroom and the heat was unbelievable. I'm unsure if the hotel's AC system is old, but when it wasn't on, we were all fading with the heat, and when the system was switched on, the noise was loud. But because of the high temperature, we would have been happy for the AC system to have been switched on for the duration of our conference!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Donna M
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited twice in Dec 2012- 1 for a birthday, 2 for office Xmas lunch; both experiences as bad as each other. Food was cold, salty and dry on both occasions. Drinks seem to take forever to arrive and staff are very unattentive.
Ordered coffee after our Xmas lunch, this came out in vacuum flasks but yet was cold- even someone who drank it black with no milk found it cold. I had to go searching for staff to ask for fresh coffee. It came out boiling the 2nd time around so not sure what the problem was first time- maybe we had left over coffee recycled from another party? Whilst the dining area is modern it has a very odd layout and I don't think I'll visit again willingly :(

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed for 1 night. Staff were very nice but I am not sure how it was awarded a 4star. Clean but very basic hotel. Be aware you also have to pay for parking.

Will not never staying again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Citroen05
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I would just like to thank all of the Bar Staff who were on duty on Sat 6th July 2013 for your excellent service and help in making my friends birthday a night to remember, There was 20 women and we were all looked after very well you were all appreciated very much and the Rox has been highly recommended by all. My son and daughter in law had their wedding reception there last sept and i can see that the standard of care and attention you give to all of your guests whether they are resident or not has not declined in any way and you have a Hotel and Staff to be very proud of.

Room Tip: All Rooms are of same high standard
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dwood25
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, room was unique like a loft, lovely big modern bathroom and tv.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious I didn't eat at restaurant.
Only downside was traffic in Aberdeen nothing to do with hotel and car park is NCP about 5 mins walk away and hotel validates ticket for £20.
I would stay here in a minute.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Me and some of my friends decided to go out for an afternoon tea and cocktails so we booked Rox. On arrival the set up and seating areas are lovely and the staff were polite and friendly. We were given a glass of prosecco each and our lunch arrived quickly afterwards. To be honest I was slightly disappointed with the 'high tea' as it looked quite boring. The finger sandwiches were quite dry and only had 3 flavours which were tuna and cucumber, cheese and pickle and egg mayo. We had scones with clotted cream and jam which were fine but my biggest disappointment was the cake selection. All the cakes were brown in colour, we had raisin flapjacks, a cherry bakewell and tiny chocolate cheesecake slices. You didn't have much choice if you weren't a massive fruit fan. One of my friends actually asked if we could have more colourful cakes and we were brought shortcake and a raspberry cheesecake slice. After we had finished eating we were asked if we would like a cocktail so I ordered a mint cocktail which was ok. The cocktail menu isn't very large and you only have a choice of around 8 cocktails that are slightly out of the ordinary. Nobody cleared our table the whole time we were seated and we had to get up and find someone to ask for more drinks. Overall I would say my experience was average and I don't think I would go back. I feel Rox need to be a little more creative with there cakes and sandwiches and work on their service standards.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends