“marriage made in heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rox Hotel

Rox Hotel
Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
“marriage made in heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Fantastic venue for any wedding, held my own here after falling in love with the hotel. Had a fantastic day and our family also commented on the excellent service, food, staff and venue as a whole. Unfortunately I did not like the lack of response from the wedding coordinator but have since heard she has left.
Have been back for lunches and cocktails. Its a hidden gem and Its easy to forget your on market street.

Room Tip: Top floor have fantastic views of the harbour.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

I booked this hotel for afternoon tea for mothers day which was down in the cafe bar. Lovely decor and seemed quite impressive at first. But, perhaps not helped by half my party arriving late and one person being added to our party too which was all because of the snowy weather(perhaps WE were the customers from hell), what followed was a whole lot of confusion and frustration. It seemed as if the staff were in utter chaos, which was odd as there seemed to be plenty of them, and their communication was clearly awful despite them trying to be professional and pleasant. I was left feeling really irritated and a bit embarrassed.

I had booked for afternoon tea for 4 but when I arrived was given a menu. Then we waited what seemed a LONG time for someone to appear and we were all hungry and looking forward to ordering so we started to feel a bit impatient, but instead of taking our order as I had expected by that time, because of the menu, which said afternoon tea one side and hot meals and snacks on the other side, they put down a cake stand for the number of people on our table when by that time some of our party had wanted to order something hot. But we just went with the flow and had the tea except for my sister who felt rather annoyed when she was told she couldn't order anything off of the menu we had been initially handed; frustrating if you have just spent well over 15 minutes looking at it!! She was then given a special mothers day 3 course set menu which she didn't want but was told that was all she was allowed to order from. This was sorted after she pointed out the small writing on the mothers day special menu that said we could order off the usual menu too, yes, the one I had initially been given!!! We shouldn't really have had to point that out to the waiting staff.

What was more annoying was that it took another 10 minutes for our tea and coffee to come after the cake stand was put down!! Granny and great granny were extremely disgruntled by that point! I was mortified as I had booked this 'treat',

Perhaps we didn't help by adding a person but I do feel this experience could have been way better particularly for a hotel and one which handles big functions. In the end I didn't really feel like complaining because they were trying to be so nice. But I should have as they did not really apologise about the situation. We were served by about 4 different staff so perhaps this was the problem.

On the plus side the sandwiches were beautiful and the coffee was delicious. The room was warm and the toilets immaculate. We were shown the ballroom on the way out and thought it was breathtaking.

All in all: frayed nerves on mothers day!!!

Room Tip: did not stay here
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have stayed at quite a few "amazing one of a kind" hotels and I would nearly put Rox in that same category. The first thing to note is that the staff and service is outstanding. Kelly at reception was more than helpful in accommodating every request that I had. From the moment I arrived I felt welcomed and respected by each member of the staff. Everything from directions, restaurant recommendations, or accommodating special requests such as receiving a delivery from British Airways (my lost luggage).

As others have mentioned the facade of the hotel does no justice to the actual hotel itself. Once inside you are swept away into the lap of unique luxury. The lobby/lounge provided a perfect setting (with the TV turned off) to warm up by the fire after some shopping or exploring the wonderful city of Aberdeen. A quick jaunt down to the cafe level for an espresso and the day was complete before returning to the thoughtfully luxurious Jr. Suite I stayed in.

While the pictures of the Jr. Suite do give the impression that the suite is much larger than it really is (I assume the pictures are of the two suites joined, which they can be), it is still very nice. It's more spacious than most suites and the decor and amenities are thoughtfully luxurious. The room was very clean (each day) and the bathroom was quite nice. The bathtub is a bit small but still enjoyable due to the fact the water is instantly hot. The slippers and bathrobe were a very nice touch.

The bed was large and comfortable, with nice bedding and quality pillows. A good nights rest was quite easy to find. The view from the room wasn't thrilling, but it was a nice view of the near by harbor and of southern Aberdeen.

The location of the hotel was absolutely fantastic and made exploring the city not only simple but enjoyable.

The breakfast served was nice, above average (fruits, some pastries, cereals, bacon and eggs) but not exactly worthy of the price. I would recommend skipping the breakfast at the hotel and instead finding something to eat at Books and Beans which offers a wider selection for a more reasonable price. However, the "Rox burger" offered by room service is something worth experiencing. Perfectly cooked, fresh bread, great amount of veggies and very tasty chips included as well. If you enjoy a good hamburger then I do recommend you give a try.

Room Tip: I highly recommend one of the Jr. Suites. I stayed in 501 on the top floor and it was well worth the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joshua M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

My fiancee and I visited Restaurant 21 for a valentines meal. We were treated with VIP service, top notch food and a variety of delicious drinks. The fillet of beef main course was the highlight, cooked to perfection and lots of flavour. The decor is stunning and in our eyes perfection. We have our wedding booked at Rox Hotel for later in the year and cannot wait to spend our special day with friends and family at the best hotel in Aberdeen City Centre.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TJCABDN
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Went away for a quiet weekend. The hotel omitted to tell us there was a function on, booked us into the 2nd floor. The noise was shocking, eventually I got up & phoned reception to ask what time the function finished, receptionist could not even hear what I was saying on the phone!!!! To cut a long story short no compensation was offered, although they did offer to move us, as my hubby was sound asleep I refused. We will not stay at this hotel again & I would recommend if you want a quiet weekend do NOT go here.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angry186487
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Went for a works Christmas party and was very disappointed!
The food was of poor quality, but being greedy the table wanted another plate seen as everyone didn't arrive, didn't think it would be a problem as the food was cooked but staff didn't want to give 1 plate.
Very nice deco, this was the high light on the night.
The entertainment as an Abba duo act that cleared the dance floor went they had a break the dance floor filled up(night manager should have taken the hint).
Won't be going back

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank guest79963
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

This is only a lunch review so i cannot pass judgement on the hotel, to be fair, but on this experience alone i shall not recommend this as a place to relax for a meal with friends. The entrance to the hotel is very gloomy and narrow, and the reception area claustrophobic. Down a terrifying glass stair is the cafe bar - a cavernous tiled basement that felt like an airport lounge without the carpets or the crowds. Bad art and a tv showing football were the only break in the sterile surroundings. The staff were very friendly but the food was terrifically overpriced and underwhelming. After a full caesar salad and sticky toffee pudding i was left hungry for some lunch. Nice clean toilets but i really didn't fancy lingering any longer!

• Stayed January 2013