“Always look forward to my stay”
Review of Macdonald Hotels

Macdonald Hotels
Ranked #18 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I have found myself staying at the Norwood Hall in Aberdeen on numerous occasions this year and i really look forward to my stay.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable and spacious.

All of the staff are very friendly and helpful and just cant do enough for you during your stay.

I can highly recommend the food in the restaurant,it is among some of the best i have ever had.

Finally the hotels location is beautiful and very tranquil.

Highly recommended

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed May 23, 2010

Hotel is in lovely setting and very impressive to drive up to. We did not like our room, the staff were unhelpful and then we decided to eat in the restaurant. Food very expensive and very small helpings. A wedding reception was being held whilst we had our meal and they seem to get all the service and attention. We heard someone else complaining and also that they did not believe that a hotel in this day and age would charge £2 admin fee for them paying by credit card.

We would not go back.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed April 15, 2010

This was my second time at the Norwood Hall Aberdeen and must admit that wasnt expecting this stay to be better than my first but it was. Staff was just amaizing...From a very relaxed and humorous check in to great food and service throughout my stay.
Having read previous comments on this site wasn't sure what to expect but can safely say that it did not apply to myself on any of my stays ... This is for sure the only place I will stay when in Aberdeen.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We booked for a two night "Spring Break" for our anniversary and cannot fault any part of our stay. The entrance and reception area is filled with Victorian charm, creating a calming atmosphere. Our room was bright, spacious and very comfortable. We dined in the Tapestry restaurant and had the best meal - ever!! We were most impressed with all the staff we encountered they were all helpful throughout our stay and service could not be faulted.
Although an extension is being built at the moment it did not inconvenience us in any way. There was also landscaping work going on along the driveway to the front of the hotel and when it all comes to bloom it will look very impressive.
This was our first visit to Norwood Hall and we will be back!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2010

My wife and I stayed here after a wedding in the hotel, having stayed here after our own wedding many years before. The wedding went very well, as much due to the company of good friends as anything else. Our room was OK, though maybe a lttle tired... faded elegance, perhaps. However, there was a complete failure of the heating system to our wing resulting in no hot water in the morning, so no shower! Worse still, no warning of this from management on the basis that they felt the guests wouldn't wish to be disturbed! What irks most is that there was just a glib apology on checking out followed by an equally glib reply to my letter seeking a partial refund of my bill. Not good enough, Norwood Hall! This guest will take his custom elsewhere!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2010

just back from a night stay, had a candle lit valentines dinner, on arriving at room, found champaign, and chocolate yum yum, meal was great, got rose at end of meal, was dissapointed, that most staff was polish, although very polite, thought they be dressed in true scottish dress, room very clean, although there must be air in the pipes, as heard plumbing problems everytime toilets in our wing was flushed, stayed in room 10, this building is listed, so ownwrs are not allowed to upgrade a lot of decor, in main reception area, it needs a better reception , and more lighting , my option i would defo stay there again !

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2010

I have stayed here on business about 7 or 8 nights in the past 3-4 months. I always found staff to be exceptionally friendly and efficient (especially reception) and over the months I felt they got to know me and treat me really well. There was always humour and genuine customer care. On several occasions I was treated to an upgrade and once I was given the best room in the hotel even though I paid a bargain rate. That was fantastic! My most recent stay was SO different. Reception staff were fairly efficient but brisk and not particularly friendly and problems with my Standard room door lock and TV were dealt with but I was made to feel stupid. I also felt I was inconveniencing the duty bar staff by ordering a bar meal after 9.30pm and generally I left with a fairly negative feeling......I am not sure if I will book in again for my next Aberdeen trip in February. I don't expect upgrades every time but I do expect better customer service. Maybe this was just an off day but there was such an extreme contrast in service compared to my last visit that I worry things are going downhill here :(

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business