Macdonald Hotels
$101
$84
Hilton Garden Inn
  • Restaurant
Aberdeen Marriott Hotel(Aberdeen)(Great Value!)
$110
  • Pool
$70
$63
Hotels.com
Skene House Rosemount(Aberdeen)(Great Value!)
$80
$85
$80
$100
$91
Ibis Aberdeen Centre(Aberdeen)(Great Value!)
$49
  • Restaurant
Palm Court Hotel(Aberdeen)(Great Value!)
$65
$52
Agoda.com
All reviewsnorwood hallbeautiful hotelafternoon teawedding partyrobert gordonwedding receptionjunior suitebar pricesstaff were attentivecourse mealboth morningsroom was largecooked breakfasta lovely staylovely roompublic areasaberdeen city centre
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The Norwood Hall Hotel is a lovely grand stately building with great character. Although the hotel is old it's very elegantly decorated. The bedroom was well equip with lovely views which look onto the spacious grounds. The hotel is set in a a few acres which gives you the feeling you are in the countryside not in Aberdeen City and there are lovely walks within the grounds itself. The breakfast was excellent with a good variety of choices. I would use this hotel again as the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: A front view room overlooks the grounds
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
NorwoodHall, General Manager at Macdonald Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted you enjoyed the splendor of our original house.

We are known as the country house in the city, with 7 acres of land surrounded by beautiful gardens and woodland.

I will pass your compliments to our staff. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I was at Paul and Clare Duncan's wedding 2nd August and it was excellent! Well organised, well serviced, food excellent, top night! Drink's a bit pricey tho.. :(
I have to give special mention to Malcolm Robertson MC who was the star of the show for me (best man) and all the wedding party agreed, he looked after us brilliantly! He was always there making sure we had everything and nothing was too much trouble for this guy! :)
The only criticism for the night was the price of drink. Apart from that one of the best night's I've ever had! :)

• Stayed: August 2014
NorwoodHall, General Manager at Macdonald Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I am glad Malcolm was able to provide a top quality service and the whole wedding party felt looked after.

Our drinks are priced in line with other four star hotels in the local area, which we check regularly.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Must rate this as the best place we have ever stayed at
Great location, wonderful grounds, fantastic rooms and internally amazing décor
The food was great and a service to match
An excellent retreat if you want to relax and just chill
Very friendly and welcoming staff nothing was a problem (as the girl in breakfast kept saying..no problem !!)
Maybe a bit on the expensive side but this is a great example of you get what you pay for
Also Wi-Fi is excellent through out hotel
There were weddings on both nights we stayed, so if you want a quiet room check on that first, we did, and got a suite a the rear of property.
Not too handy for city centre though, but bus does run nearby, we never left, so do not know about cost etc
Will we be back, YES, and soon hopefully

Room Tip: Just check on wedding events for rooms
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and felt welcomed and at home.

We are known as the country house in the city, being only a ten minute drive from the city centre. The buses nearby run every 10 minutes most of the day, an adult day ticket costs £3.80 and our staff are happy to book taxis for our guests as well.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

On behalf of my husband and I we would like to thank Malcolm Robertson, who was master of ceremonies for the day of our wedding on the 2nd Aug 2014. He was so attentive and made me feel at complete ease. Everything was in hand and I didn't have to worry about a think. Brilliant service and a top bloke. Thank-you Malcolm and the hotel for a wonderful day!

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Guest,

I am delighted you had a perfect wedding day and I have passed your compliments to Malcolm.

We invest in training our teams to provide a high level of service to ensure all wedding celebrations go without a hitch and it brings great pleasure to know you and your guests were pleased with our service.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I'm not quite sure how to review this hotel. Normally I have a pretty clear idea of what I want to say, but this was such a mixed experience I'm not really sure how to start, let alone how to finish!

We were booked in for four nights as part of a family wedding. We were two adults and two young children (7 and 10).

Let's start with the bad....

I'd have to describe the check in process as chaotic. Our own check in was reasonably straightforward. We arrived at the hotel at about 9.30 pm due to a late flight then a family dinner nearby. The staff were friendly, however, when the young lady who checked us in went out the back to program the keys, I very clearly heard her say "who checks in at this time of day?" in a rather disparaging tone. Well, we do love. It wasn't our choice, and it certainly wasn't your place to comment on it as if we had done something slightly shameful.

However, over the next few days, family members started to arrive (earlier than us I might add) and I observed several dramas - rooms weren't ready even though guests were trying to check in at 5pm, which is really quite out of order, and family members were made to wait with their luggage in the bar or library, while housekeeping readied their rooms.

The check in area/reception itself was very small and there were queues every day, with nowhere to wait.

We went to our room, which was small with the extra two beds in it. There was about a 30cm gap between my side of the bed and my daughter's bed, which was tricky in the middle of the night. The bathroom light clicked off on a sensor when there was no movement, which was not ideal with two young children who like the light on. I'd say that particular room (532) was not suitable for two extra beds. On the first night, as I walked to the bathroom in bare feet, I discovered that the carpet outside the bathroom, just inside the front door, was sodden wet. There was no obvious leak. We reported this the next day and the rather charming concierge insisted we moved, even though I couldn't really be bothered packing and then unpacking again. However, I'm glad we did, as the new room as more spacious and suitable for four person occupancy. The extra bed arrived quickly, but housekeeping had not made it up by 7pm when we had to leave the hotel for dinner. The concierge promised faithfully he would make sure it was done by the time we came home and he was as good as his word.

This room had evidently been reasonably recently re-decorated. There was a large flat screen TV and the bathroom was well equipped. The decor was rather old fashioned however, in dated shades of burgundy etc.

This was nothing on the next room however, which must be on the do-up list. I was astounded to see a (very comfy) sofa in lurid terracotta jumbo corduroy. It was like a little gift from the 1980s. The rest of the room was very terracotta, very dated decor.

The service at breakfast was very slow. One of our party waited 50 minutes for their cooked breakfast. It seemed understaffed and the buffet was not replenished frequently - people were constantly asking staff for bowls, top ups of things that had run out etc. I ordered porridge one morning and it came without the honey and berries promised, but with a dish of chopped nuts, which I thought was really odd. I didn't have my glasses on and assumed it contained sugar and was rather disappointed when I took a mouthful, it was a bizarre combination. The porridge was horrid and I couldn't eat it, no way of sweetening it and it had a very odd taste, not at all what I was expecting. I stuck with bacon thereafter.

Both rooms were relatively noisy, being over the function room, where there was a wedding every night. It was very hot and humid and we had to have the windows open every night due to there being no air conditioning. I would recommend requesting a quiet room far away from the function room. If you are staying there you need to be aware that there will be a wedding nearly every day and it WILL be noisy right up until the early hours of the morning.

Our newspaper didn't turn up on our final day (neither did other family members) which was well handled by reception staff who took the restaurant copy of the Times for us.

Now to the good....

The actual building itself is set in a beautiful and relatively peaceful woodland setting with ample parking close to the hotel. The original part of the building is stunning, with intricately carved woodwork and tasteful Scottish decor. There is a small bar which is well equipped (though very expensive) and a lovely library next door where you can sit and chat. However, often the bar is unattended and it took a while to find anyone.

The staff are without exception friendly and warm (despite the first comment that you read) and we did feel very welcome. One charming young gentleman brought us tablet to have with our cup of tea as the shortbread was still in the oven (major kudos for the shortbread which was excellent).

The room amenities are good - extra coathangers were supplied, there was a good supply of tea/coffee etc and the toiletries were of a very high standard, and plentiful. The bathroom (particularly our second bathroom in 418) was spacious and both showers were excellent.

The hotel responded well to our room drama and took some off our bill, which we appreciated.

The wedding itself was run very well - staff are clearly experienced and skilled at keeping the function going at a good pace. They are rather strict gatekeepers however, one of our party had not received his bucks fizz and the staff refused to believe him so he missed out! The wedding food was excellent and served very efficiently. The breakfast buffet the next day was well handled, though again, they did appear to be short staffed and there was a lot of waiting around for tea and coffee etc.

The wifi was free and there was a pretty good signal in most places.

So, as I said, a bit of a mixed bag, nothing that couldn't easily be fixed. I'd stay here again but I'd request a quiet room with plenty of space and I'd make sure our room was suitable before we unpacked. I think a little tweak here and there and Norwood Hall could be excellent and as stunning as the house itself.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for one far away from the function room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Minkykiwi

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I have considered your comments and suggestions and I am investigating the causes behind your concerns. However, I am glad that our staff dealt with issues as they were raised immediately and I am happy that your overall stay was enjoyable.

Due to Aberdeen being the oil capital of Europe we have guests both arriving and departing at all times of the day and night including an air crew who arrive after 11pm daily. Therefore, there is nothing out of the ordinary for guests to arrive at 9.30pm or later. This would leave no cause for our staff to be surprised by an arrival at this time as it is a daily occurrence.

The hotel was particularly busy with wedding guests both departing late from the wedding the previous day, and arriving early for the wedding taking place on the following day. All rooms were completed by 4pm at the latest and apologies were made to guests who had to wait longer than expected.

Our junior suites are 3 years old and all other hotel bedrooms including the executive room you were moved to have been refurbished in the past two years.

Our bedroom décor and refurbishments have all been designed to blend tastefully with the character of the old house.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed the wedding and your stay despite the unforeseen situations that arose.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Norwood Hall in the future.