“Wedding Palaver!”
Review of Macdonald Hotels

Macdonald Hotels
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Like the previous reviewer, I also experienced terrible service from Norwood when it came to arranging my wedding.

Initially, I had arranged to see the Norwood wedding-planner to discuss my requirements and be shown the facilities. When myself and fiance arrived at the agreed time, we were told the wedding-planner had left for the day! The duty manager had to show us the facilities but could not provide any details re. the wedding services. We had to therefore make another appointment to see the wedding-planner. Arrived for the second time to be told that the wedding-planner had left early - no notice given! Eventually we decided on the Norwood because we loved the venue and arranged to pay our £500 deposit.

Due to a change in circumstannces, I decided to get married overseas very recently. My initial wedding date was for end of May 2009. I knew that there was a possibility that I could lose my deposit altogether but thought that as I was giving quite a lot of notice and that this was a popular time to get hitched, the Norwwod would at least consider a partial refund. However, when I phoned them to cancel, the events planner was extremely blunt, verging on rude, and told me in no uncertain terms that my cancellation was to be in writing and that I would not receive any refund whatsoever. I know that this was a contractual agreement but I also klnow that the Norwood will have no problem booking another event for that date. It makes me wonder how they can justify keeping my full deposit!

From my experience, I am glad that I did not get married at the Norwood - I hate to think how my big day could have been spoiled due to their appalling customer service! I would advise anybody not to fall for the venue like I did, but to make sure you trust that the staff will ensure you have the best day of your life!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ClaraScotland

Reviewed July 31, 2008

This is a slighty different situation, but I am currently organising my wedding and used this site for ideas for venues. I' ve always thought that the Norwood Hall was a lovely venue, and certainly in years gone by it's had a great reputation for functions. However, my parents popped in to ask for a brochure last week, and were treated with complete indifference, then I called on Monday to see about arranging a viewing of the facilities. It's now Thursday, and no-one has called me back. I don't live in Aberdeen, and so can only really manage a weekend, or a Friday night (at a push), but when I explained this, the wedding co-ordinator was very huffy with me and treated me like I was being extremely awkward and causing major problems. She was supposed to call me back on Monday afternoon with a time (I said I'd move other appointments if necessary), but I've heard nothing since.

I'm really shocked at the service - having worked for many years in the wedding industry myself, I know when a bride is being awkward, and asking if it would be possible to see the facilities so that I can spend a good few thousand pounds in their hotel is certainly not a difficult request! What makes it even more negative for the Norwood Hall is that all the other hotels I have contacted have been extremely accomodating - one is even setting up a section of their function room on Sunday for me so that I can visualise what it would look like! And no-one else seems to think that only being available on a weekend is a problem...in fact, it appears to be quite normal.

Very poor show from Norwood Hall; I know a few couples who are getting married, and I'd certainly never recommend they even bother calling getting in touch.

Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank VHhill1980
Reviewed June 7, 2008

Was our first time in this hotel and it was very nice. Rooms are large, well appointed and very traditionally decortated.

Friendly staff - old part of the buildin where we were was like a set from Hogwarts in Harry Potter.

Rooms look like they have been recently re-decoreated wth new flatscreen tvs etc.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends