“Wonderful experience.”
Review of Macdonald Hotels

Macdonald Hotels
Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed one night, dbb. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Greeted by professional, knowledgable and friendly reception staff and the wonderful aroma of a log fire. Room and bathroom were spacious, immaculately clean and furnished to a high standard. Restaurant staff were attentive and pleasant. Excellent food with generous portions. Nice atmosphere. For breakfast we chose the continental option which offered a good selection of meats, cheeses, pastries, breads, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, etc - fabulous.
Will definitely return. Hope to stay longer next time.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Had a wedding there on Sunday 4th August and it was perfect. Everyone had a really good time the food was excellent as too was the breakfast on the morning. Credit to the nightshift guy who served the wedding party at 2am. Bar prices were pretty shocking for spirit and mixer but food and room were really nice

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Robboy2d
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We attended a wedding on the 4th of August 2013. This was a wedding of a close friend and I knew how much her special day meant to her. We enjoyed a perfect ceremony, service and food quality was second to none with some very outstanding staff seeing to everyone's needs no matter how big or small. There were a number of wedding guests staying over at the hotel and everyone was really pleased with their rooms and the service they enjoyed. It was great to see everyone enjoy such a happy, well run wedding day. Speaking to my friend the next day she had the perfect day. A beautiful bride at a beautiful venue, you wll struggle to find a hotel in Aberdeen with more picturesque surroundings, simply stunning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GillL186487
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I had my wedding at Norwood in June this year, I had a great day and so did the majority of my guests, however there were a few issues that have changed my opinion on the venue altogether and I would not be recommending it to any other bride. My review is rather long so I apologise but I wanted to try and mention everything.

Here’s my review… The process of booking the venue a year and a half before the big day was dealt with professionally and we felt confident about our decision and the wedding co-ordinator was very efficient and got in touch when she said she would etc. Everything was clear, we paid our deposit got our contract and we knew where we stood for the next required payments etc.

Then about six months before the wedding things changed, there was no communication with the new wedding team and myself. I had to constantly phone them to find out when things needed to be done etc. Did not receive a phone call to advise when it was time to come in for menu tasting, finalisation etc. I always phoned them, as the wedding got closer this made me feel very nervous. When I complained that there was no communication and that I thought it was odd that I always had to get in touch with them, I was given the response that there are other brides getting married that week that they have to deal with first. I understand they have to prioritise brides that are getting married sooner, but when you have never booked a wedding before it’s nice to have someone tell you what needs done, when you need to come in etc. But not one phone call!

A few of our guests booked rooms for the night of the wedding, more or less every person said that when they asked for their confirmations to be emailed they never received them and everyone was told different room rates. I work in the travel industry and this is not how a four star hotel should be operating.

As the wedding got closer a friend of ours had been to a wedding at Norwood a few weeks before and they did not have a good experience and there biggest problem was that there was hardly any bar staff behind the bar and a lot of the guests were not happy. This is not good news for a bride to be, I spoke to the wedding co-ordinator who reassured me this would not be the case. After making it clear I did not want this to happen and debating that I would like the second bar open as it was really concerning me, the complete opposite happened. At the evening reception of my wedding there were long periods of time when there were only two people behind the one tiny bar for about at least 150 guests. There was a queue round the side of the room and a lot of my guests were not impressed at all, this was very embarrassing. When I complained the day after the wedding I was given the excuse that staff members were sent home sick and they were understaffed, I found this to be a very pathetic and convenient excuse.

I had also asked several times on the run up to the wedding if it was a nice day if we could have some tables and chairs set up outside for guests to sit whilst they were receiving their canapés during the photographs period. I was promised this on several occasions, on the day it was glorious sunshine and there was no tables and chairs set up there was only the rot iron benches which are there whatever the weather. I had to speak to members of staff to get this sorted, not exactly ideal when you are trying to enjoy your wedding day. Then some red chairs were basically plonked outside for guests to sit on, but it was better than nothing.

At the time of the meal half of our guests did not receive skirlie inside their chicken, when the guests complained they then received a bowl of skirlie for the table but by this point they had finished their meal. This is not acceptable for a four star hotel especially when you pay good money to have a specific meal. When I complained the day after the wedding no apology or compensation was given and it was blamed purely on the supplier. This to me was a ridiculous excuse when it is Norwood who supplied us with the food that we paid them for!

Then to top things off the morning after the wedding, my bridal party were packing away the wedding flowers etc. and they noticed that my bride’s bouquet was missing from the cake table where all the bridal party’s flowers were left in the ballroom. This was extremely upsetting as I planned to give my bouquet to my Gran to lay on my Grandad’s grave. Every bride has a sentimental plan for their bouquet and this was taken away from me, it’s disgusting. All five bouquets were on the cake table in the ballroom when all the guests had left to go home at the end of the night and in the morning my one was gone. I spent the majority of the morning after my wedding in tears and the wedding co-ordinator was not sympathetic at all and I was told anything left in the room is not their responsibility. She then went on to say that the only people staying in the hotel were people at my wedding and regular customers who she knows would not steal a bouquet, I was insulted that she would accuse my close friends and family of stealing my bouquet! Funnily enough the bouquet was never found!

I have been a bridesmaid twice and both occasions the hotel courteously put all bouquets in water in a back room for us to collect when we checked out the next day. I admitted that I should have taken them to my room at the end of the night but on your wedding day/ night you are on cloud nine and in a place like Norwood a well-known established hotel you put your trust in them. I recommended they should change this in future and keep the flowers in a room in water so no future bride has to be upset by such a cruel action, the response was that they will not change their policy!

Finally the last gripe we had was my husband’s surname was spelt wrong on all our paperwork from Norwood, I asked several times for this to be amended. It never was and I mentioned this the week of the wedding and was promised any signs with our surname would be correct. The morning after the wedding the sign for guests to know where to go for breakfast had our name spelt wrong. It might sound petty but it is not hard to get something like this right and is rather insulting.

Everything that is promised when you are in meetings in the hotel prior to the wedding are not followed through on the actual day and the way I was treated after the wedding was disgusting. I would not recommend Norwood to any other bride to be. I spent the days after my wedding upset, angry and just feeling let down after so much planning and money spent, for Norwood to just not be up to scratch. It is such a shame as it is a beautiful venue and the majority of staff is very nice, but some let the place down and are not professional enough and there is a major lack of communication. This is not how any customer should be treated especially a bride, when a wedding is supposed such a special day.

Room Tip: Bridal suite is lovely, this is one thing thankfully that we were happy with. AC would be good as th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Ashley M
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We used this hotel as we had a wedding to attend at the very near Marcliffe hotel which we could not get a room.It was very handy in proximity to the wedding.We felt the hotel was a bit pretentious.We did get a good rate through secret escapes which was just as well.Our room had no air- conditioning and no refrigerator not very good as the weather was very hot and clammy!!There was a complimentary bottle of water in the room but that was not much use in the heat with a window that would only open about an inch?!!.Next morning we headed for breakfast looking forward to something special.....No cold toast, one rasher of bacon,the toast rake was re-freshed with wait for it a single slice each of again cold toast!!!Not impressed for a four star hotel with grandeur and poise it let the side down it just kept letting the side down and falling short of the mark.Dissapointed just glad we did not pay full rack rate.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My daughter held her wedding reception in this hotel, the setting was perfect, this hotel is an old style hotel, but well maintained and very clean with lovely furnishings, the rooms were all beautiful, clean with comfortable beds, the grounds were gorgeous, the staff were fantastic! made me realise there is some excellent staff with outstanding customer services which is hard to find these days! The food was excellent and the breakfast had a great choice, service was friendly and efficient! The bridal suite was beautiful and staff were extremely helpful to the happy couple and all the guests, Whether this hotel be used for a wedding, or a holiday I will definitely be back and would highly recommend to anyone looking for that special place in beautiful Aberdeen! Thank you so much for making my daughter's wedding Day perfect! One fault we were not served the wedding cake at the end of the meal and it was all put out for the buffet, which meant many family members did not get any wedding cake, there was only a small amount left which allowed the bridge & groom to have a piece to take home, but I never got any of the wedding cake which looked beautiful! (shame).

The other issue was the dance floor, which had a sloped metal edge all around it, I almost slipped three times, when wearing high heels, unfortunately my niece did slip and fell while carrying a glass and ended up in hospital overnight and had to have several tests and had stitches, she was very lucky as the glass sliced into her neck, missing her main artery, by cm's, the staff acted very quickly and the ambulance arrived in good time, but hope the manager will look to change this, as next time someone may not be so lucky!

Room Tip: Beautiful peaceful surroundings, no noise and had a wonderful comfortable sleep, bathroom was excell...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is really old Scottish mansion. Not a traditional hotel. Looks and feels pretty impressive. Staff is also very nice.

Few remarks, the newer wing, rooms 50-60 are really small, no WiFi coverage. Maybe the most annoying the breakfast service. Very, very slow and disorganized. Not for "busy businessmen". Should be easy to improve.

Room Tip: Avoid the wing of 50-60
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdeen
Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa
Palm Court Hotel
Palm Court Hotel
#14 of 65 in Aberdeen
Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen City Centre

Been to Macdonald Hotels? Share your experiences!