“Awaiting a response to a complaint!”
Review of Macdonald Hotels

Macdonald Hotels
Ranked #18 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Perth
“Awaiting a response to a complaint!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed recently and was extremely disappointed. On the first morning of my three day stay I had no hot water and despite me pursuing reception and housekeeping for an hour I was unable to access an alternative room or have the plumbing problem solved! When asked if was going to have to leave the hotel that morning with no shower or breakfast (as too much time has lapsed by now) I was told "Yes"! No offer of rom service delivery of even a piece of toast. I requested a change of room for the remainder of my stay which I was given but was made to feel they had done me a favour! The original room was classed as an executive double but in reality it was more like poor staff quarters! No wifi access or ability to be able to buy access - hardly what an executive requires! Food was overpriced and of mediocre quality too although food delivered via room service was of a better quality than I had in the restaurant.

Reflecting on my stay I submitted a complaint to the manager and also to MacDonald Hotels and I await a reply from either 3 weeks later! Poor service and proof that Aberdeen hotels are getting business regardless and not having to try in the slightest!

Room Tip: Avoid executive doubles at any cost!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank megster80
NorwoodHall, General Manager at Macdonald Hotels, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Megster80,

Thank you for your review, following earlier correspondence from yourself on the 20th May a letter was mailed out to the address given, this letter has been resent by recorded delivery, look forword to hearing from you in due course.

Margaret Fraser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Attended for business conference. Good facilities. Food during the day was good. The dinner was excellent and presented well. Friendly staff and informative staff. Range of complementary facilities added to the event.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear EllisNic,

Thank you very much for your kind review, we pride ourselves in using high quality produce for all our menus. I am delighted you found the staff attentive and our conference facilities to be of a high standard. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Scotland
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had the pleasure of being invited to a full wedding here, we paid a wee bit extra to check in early and it was so worth it, despite the importance of the day it seemed a very relaxed affair, no hassle or stress. The whole event ran so smoothly, the ambiance and atmosphere made it an excellent choice for a wedding, we had photos in the lovely settings outside and the meal was a great success. We stayed overnight in a lovely large room and could not wait to get down to the breakfast in the morning to enjoy the famous Stornoway Black Pudding and it did not disappoint.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer extension.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JakeaI82,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed the wedding day. We are very proud of our wonderful location for such a special day. Our Junior Suites are fantastic spacious rooms which everyone loves. Stornoway black pudding is always a favourite glad you enjoyed it!

Edinburgh
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Booked this very short notice and whilst I'm familiar with the rest of the hotel chain these guys in Aberdeen did themselves justice- must be all the Oil & Gas business and competition keeping them on their toes!
I arrived pretty late on but they were happy to serve me in the restaurant - great menu and just what I was after following a 4 hour drive. The scallops from Mull were outstanding and the staff were all very friendly even so late on in the evening!!!!

Looking forward to my next visit in a couple of weeks.

• Stayed May 2013
NorwoodHall, General Manager at Macdonald Hotels, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found the food and service to be of a high standard, we are very proud of our food statement and only purchase the highest quality foods. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Norwood Hall has always had a special place in our hearts. My husband and I had our wedding reception here in 1976 and both of our sons also chose it for their "big day" along with their beautiful brides! Margaret and her hard working team made sure that everything was calm, relaxed and ran to plan. The Wedding Day was splendid. We stayed here before and after the wedding enjoying the beauty, character and peace of this beautiful Country House Hotel. I cannot speak highly enough of our most recent stay here in April. Unique in many ways - give it a try and enjoy!

Room Tip: We have stayed in both the original rooms and the more recently added - both have their charms and a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Elainer24,

Thank you so much for your kind comments, it was an absolute pleasure to look after your party for your son and daughter in laws big day. It was wonderful to see your own wedding photographs on our famous staircase 37 years ago!
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We didn’t just stay at Norwood Hall – we felt part of the place. We stayed for 3 nights earlier this month and enjoyed it so much. The burning fires and character of the building make it feel alive and welcoming. There’s a great team of staff who are motivated to ensure that guests enjoy their visit – thank you to everyone who made our stay so lovely. Our junior suite was superb, comfortable to relax in, lovely large bathroom, huge 40 inch Sony TV and proper full size hair dryer. What more could a girl ask for? Norwood Hall we would love to return :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear SallyWright,

Thank you for your positive review, Norwood certainly has great charm and character. I was delighted to hear you found the team provided a good level of customer service. We hope to welcome you back to Norwood in the near future.

Norfolk UK
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I ended up staying here as opposed to the normal Holiday Inn/Hilton choices due to Aberdeen being almost full on Monday and Tuesday nights now.
The building itself is very impressive and has a real class about it.
Even in May, Aberdeen can be cold so the log fire in reception was very welcome. I think they may have overdone the logs in the morning though as they almost had to issue breathing apparatus to the guests, there was that much smoke!
Check in was a little on the slow side but extremely friendly and helpful reception staff.
The room was a very good size and well appointed.
Plenty of wardrobe space, well appointed bathroom and a good range of toiletries.
Bed was extremely comfortable and room was delightfully quiet.

I used room service for breakfast and it arrived bang on time both days. Typical of most Scottish hotels, what you order is exactly what you get so you have to ask for salt and pepper, ketchup etc but quality of breakfast was very high.
The restaurant was a little too stuffy for me so I used room service for my evening meal and was not disappointed.
20 minutes from order to delivery and, like breakfast, piping hot food, great quality and well presented.
I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking for a change from the normal chain hotels.

Room Tip: I had a very quiet room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mike B
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and might use us again in the future.
If the restaurant is not suitable for you, we would happily serve you dinner in our bar. We look forward to welcoming you back to Norwood Hall Hotel in the near future.