“Perfectly acceptable and value for money”

Aberdeen Northern Hotel
Ranked #57 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed January 26, 2014

First impressions were, 'Oh no, what have I booked', but then appearances can be deceptive. It would appear that it's more of a transit hotel for the oil workers but don't let that put you off. If it's opulence you're after, ah-la the Hilton, then this isn't the hotel for you, but if you want something that's within budget then this is a gem. My only niggle on arrival was the (Polish?) girl made me wait until she had finished her email before attending to me - possibly a cultural thing...
The rooms are moderately furnished but quiet, clean and tidy. My bathroom had a very good standard of décor (but the provision of a just net curtain between me and the city council depot made showering something of a performance if you left the light on).
The restaurant had a limited menu and perhaps those on a diet may struggle to find something to their taste but, again, think of the target clientele. The cooked breakfast bar has slices of haggis - WONDERFUL - and sets you up for the day and the coffee is in real mugs. I'm usually a Radisson and Hilton person when I'm away for a few nights so for me this was a surprise, but a pleasant one. Congratulations Northern Hotel, you made a fan out of me.

Room Tip: Before unpacking, check that people can't see into your bathroom, ha, ha.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Had my wedding at The Northern Hotel at the start of November 2013. Was given fast and friendly service throughout the planning- nothing was too much trouble. On the day of the wedding the rooms were set beautifully and just how I wanted. All of our guests commented on how great the food was and thanks to managers Eric and Robert we were all made to feel at home and my wedding day was one to treasure! Highly recommended

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Had a ball! Party night and stayed over! No faults with either. Good Hotel that gives you what. Staff were happy to help when I didn't have phone charger and provided me with one. Would go back tomorrow but Xmas only comes once a year! See you next year Northern Hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had been for Sunday lunch (carvery) earlier in the year that was generally good with all the trimming, although the gravy is more like soup. Service was not the best but on our latest visit standards had slipped even further.

On entering the restaurant you are greeted by a sign “wait to be seated” although plenty of tables were available we had to wait for over 5 minutes and watching staff ideally gossiping.

Once seated we ordered drinks and asked for a menu. 3 drinks to over 15 minutes to arrive and when they did we received incorrect order.
We then ordered 3 meals, 2 adults and 1 child. After a further 35 minute wait (and no bar service for another drink) our meals finally arrived incorrect!!

This is one of the only times I have left a restaurant due to the quality of the service, we kindly asked the waitress to take the incorrect orders back and cancel our order.

Unfortunately I leave a review for food quality that was average at best… defiantly won’t be back and one to miss!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tony W
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Visited with friends for Sunday Lunch in the bar restaurant. starter took ages to come 3 Cullen Skinks and broth soup. After asking what had happened to our starters only 2 soups arrived, a cullen skink 3 of us were finished our soup before it arrived and it was more like potato soup they had run out of the cullen skink and the replacement had no added cream, That was returned after the manager had come to note our complaints.
Everytime you go in it is different staff . The prices are high but the service standard has dropped.
It appears a lack of experience staff and no leadership from the top.
You used to have to book for a table at the Northern Hotel for Sunday Lunch but you can walk in and there is plenty of empty tables now.
Needs to have the management look into the staffing and employing some experienced staff to help the younger ones get to grips with the job.
Will be looking for better recommendations before going back to the Northern for a meal.
On that display I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Not living far from the northern hotel and never having been I decided to go in for a coffee with my girlfriend. First impressions were good nice clean lounge however they could do with painting the celing as it's yellow with decades of smoking punters. Friendly staff and served with a smile, coffee was good but £3.50 is a bit steep, still to decide if I will be back.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This hotel The Northern Hotel great northern road Aberdeen Scotland as ruined my wedding and did not put out all the food I payed for I'd people who was sat at tables we feel we have been ripped off by this hotel my wife spoke with manger and all she got was we are really sorry no one offered us anything back for the amount of money we paid for our wedding this hotel has really upset me and my wife we lost out in a lot of money because of them

• Stayed: August 2013