“Fantastic”

Ranked #45 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, beautiful room, fantastic food, amazing staff, outstanding customer service, I will defiantly be returning here and would recommend this hotel to my friends. I had my 10 month old son with me and my husband and they couldn't do enough for us and we're great with the baby and the requests we had for his allergies.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience from you recent visit to Carmelite. It's always pleasing to read such comments, as the team do strive to extend a high level of hospitality and service. Hopefully we can welcome you back to Carmelite again soon, and once again thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
Aberdeen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

As a group of about 20 for a friend’s birthday we went for the Afternoon Tea. The sandwiches, cakes, scones etc were ok and there was plenty to go around. However the service left a lot to be desired... We ordered a bottle of wine, 30 mins later still no sign so having advised the manager we were still waiting we were told the bar was busy... another 10 mins passed still no wine so advised a waitress and no wine ever appeared. We ended up having to go up to the bar and order it ourselves... they then had the cheek to put the wine on our bill even though we bought it ourselves at the bar. I don’t think I will be rushing back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent visit to Carmelite. I am pleased you enjoyed the food element of the Afternoon Tea, although disappointed to read of the delay in bar service. As you witnessed, the bar does get extremely busy, even with 4/5 bartenders behind, sometimes admittedly we simply can't keep up with the demand of the popular T-Pot Cocktails as they are all individually made. Having reviewed service with the Bar Manager, we are redirecting the service on one of the Bar tenders been responsible for quick simply orders as a bottle of wine, so hopefully with the pre-ordering options for the Intoxicating Afternoon Teas and now this revised focus, we will improve the speed. I sincerely hope you do reconsider and revisit maybe on a quieter day, where there's a much more relaxing experience.
Brechin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Booked for afternoon tea for two. Sandwiches and cakes were lovely! More then enough food for two and enough tea to sink the Titanic! Staff very friendly and attentive even in a very busy restaurant. Will definitely return for food again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Niccig
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments regarding your recent visit to Carmelite for Afternoon Tea. We appreciate the positive comments as well as the not so, as the team do strive to provide a good experience. Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Nice interior, nice music, sat down and I dont know if you have to order at the bar or not but ended up doing so as no one took our order or bothered to tell us what the procedure is. Got a cocktail for my girlfriend at ten pounds was not a large glass for the price but was made well. We decided to order food from the bar menu and it was clearly pre made oven food and not as described on the menu itself. They used the same weird soy kind of sauce on everything. The chicken was probably the worst quality of chicken ive ever seen and was barely warm. Needless to say we didnt eat it and after a long wait we had to call over to a waitress who never even asked how it was even though there was a fullplate of food to take away. My girlfriend complained about the food and we recieved ONE POUND back. If the service and food was up to scratch it would be a good place as I say decoration and music was great.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank civicbore89
GAaberdeen, Manager at Carmelite, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent visit to Carmelite. It is pleasing to read some positives regarding the music and decor, however disappointing you didn't enjoy the Munchies. We receive many good comments about the munchies, so I was surprised to read your comments. However, clearly you didn't enjoy them, and I apologise for the shortfalls experienced. We have reviewed the list for the new menu, and kept the Yakatori Chicken available, as is one of our best sellers. I can't understand why you received so much soy sauce. I can only put these comments down to maybe a new chef cooking you order, and maybe not to our normal standard, which I sincerely apologise. I have spoken with our Chef, establishing corrective training, and to our Bar Manager relating to no-one following up your satisfaction, when leaving food on the plate.
We are reprinting the Tipples, Tea and Munchies Menu, where upon we will place a sentence regarding our 'lounge / bar service'. Thank you for raising that point. All in all, I do hope you reconsider and allow us another opportunity by revisiting Carmelite again. we have some exciting great new 'Smokin' Cocktails and Tray Serves which are very different !

Travelers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed here while on a business trip to Aberdeen, the hotel is small and the room I had was also quite small but I was on my own so that was fine. The rooms were newly decorated and the bed was comfy, no real noise from the road below. The reception is on the first floor up a steep set of stairs, there's no lift so not suitable if you have difficulty walking or are disabled. I ate in the restaurant downstairs while here and the food was really good, service was a little slow but it was busy. The location is ideal for the centre of Aberdeen and the harbour is just along the road.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience whilst visiting Carmelite recently.
We look forward to welcoming you back again, maybe on a return business trip.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed overnight here on 18/19 October 2013. The room I had was large and clean as was the bathroom - which well impressed me. The fittings in the room worked well and it was well decorated. The tea/coffee/biscuits tray was well appreciated. I had lunch here (my first tasting of Cullen Skink- a local soup) followed by a main course and a beer. The food was cooked well and served in reasonable portions.
The Carmelite is ideally situated for Union Street (shops and restaurants) as well as the rail and bus stations. It also has a well-stocked bar which is at street level. I found the staff to be pleasant, polite and attentive. I intend to stay again on my next visit to Aberdeen.

Room Tip: This hotel has numerous rooms (some of which have names), mine was a basic single. During my time in...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience whilst recently visiting Carmelite. We are very pleased you liked the Designer Rooms, and enjoyed the food. Hopefully it won't be too long before your revisit us again soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night to attend a friends wedding. We found the hotel staff to be very friendly, helpful and attentive. The room was one of the more basic rooms that the hotel had to offer but it was still very well decorated and clean. We had also booked breakfast the next day, which was excellent.

One thing that I feel let the room down (and this is a minor point) is that the electical outlets in the room are in very awkward places and trying to iron shirts for a wedding was made near impossible because of this and the terrible iron in the room.

However, all in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and I would deifnitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience whilst staying with us at Carmelite.
We are pleased your friend had a fabulous Wedding Day and you found our 3rd floor standard rooms satisfactory. The team always appreciate positive comments regarding their service and hospitality. We hope to welcome you back again soon.