“Good music terrible food.”
Review of Carmelite

Carmelite
Ranked #47 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Nice interior, nice music, sat down and I dont know if you have to order at the bar or not but ended up doing so as no one took our order or bothered to tell us what the procedure is. Got a cocktail for my girlfriend at ten pounds was not a large glass for the price but was made well. We decided to order food from the bar menu and it was clearly pre made oven food and not as described on the menu itself. They used the same weird soy kind of sauce on everything. The chicken was probably the worst quality of chicken ive ever seen and was barely warm. Needless to say we didnt eat it and after a long wait we had to call over to a waitress who never even asked how it was even though there was a fullplate of food to take away. My girlfriend complained about the food and we recieved ONE POUND back. If the service and food was up to scratch it would be a good place as I say decoration and music was great.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank civicbore89
GAaberdeen, Manager at Carmelite, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent visit to Carmelite. It is pleasing to read some positives regarding the music and decor, however disappointing you didn't enjoy the Munchies. We receive many good comments about the munchies, so I was surprised to read your comments. However, clearly you didn't enjoy them, and I apologise for the shortfalls experienced. We have reviewed the list for the new menu, and kept the Yakatori Chicken available, as is one of our best sellers. I can't understand why you received so much soy sauce. I can only put these comments down to maybe a new chef cooking you order, and maybe not to our normal standard, which I sincerely apologise. I have spoken with our Chef, establishing corrective training, and to our Bar Manager relating to no-one following up your satisfaction, when leaving food on the plate.
We are reprinting the Tipples, Tea and Munchies Menu, where upon we will place a sentence regarding our 'lounge / bar service'. Thank you for raising that point. All in all, I do hope you reconsider and allow us another opportunity by revisiting Carmelite again. we have some exciting great new 'Smokin' Cocktails and Tray Serves which are very different !

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed here while on a business trip to Aberdeen, the hotel is small and the room I had was also quite small but I was on my own so that was fine. The rooms were newly decorated and the bed was comfy, no real noise from the road below. The reception is on the first floor up a steep set of stairs, there's no lift so not suitable if you have difficulty walking or are disabled. I ate in the restaurant downstairs while here and the food was really good, service was a little slow but it was busy. The location is ideal for the centre of Aberdeen and the harbour is just along the road.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience whilst visiting Carmelite recently.
We look forward to welcoming you back again, maybe on a return business trip.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed overnight here on 18/19 October 2013. The room I had was large and clean as was the bathroom - which well impressed me. The fittings in the room worked well and it was well decorated. The tea/coffee/biscuits tray was well appreciated. I had lunch here (my first tasting of Cullen Skink- a local soup) followed by a main course and a beer. The food was cooked well and served in reasonable portions.
The Carmelite is ideally situated for Union Street (shops and restaurants) as well as the rail and bus stations. It also has a well-stocked bar which is at street level. I found the staff to be pleasant, polite and attentive. I intend to stay again on my next visit to Aberdeen.

Room Tip: This hotel has numerous rooms (some of which have names), mine was a basic single. During my time in...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience whilst recently visiting Carmelite. We are very pleased you liked the Designer Rooms, and enjoyed the food. Hopefully it won't be too long before your revisit us again soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night to attend a friends wedding. We found the hotel staff to be very friendly, helpful and attentive. The room was one of the more basic rooms that the hotel had to offer but it was still very well decorated and clean. We had also booked breakfast the next day, which was excellent.

One thing that I feel let the room down (and this is a minor point) is that the electical outlets in the room are in very awkward places and trying to iron shirts for a wedding was made near impossible because of this and the terrible iron in the room.

However, all in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and I would deifnitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience whilst staying with us at Carmelite.
We are pleased your friend had a fabulous Wedding Day and you found our 3rd floor standard rooms satisfactory. The team always appreciate positive comments regarding their service and hospitality. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

My partner and I had 45 minutes before our train home after a Saturday night dinner out so we decided to stop in to the bar for a nightcap before heading to the station. I hadn't been in for a couple of years and the renovated interior looks nice from the outside. I'd heard the drinks were good and that they had live jazz so it was an appealing choice but in fact it was another case of an Aberdonian venue trying to be chic and cosmopolitan and falling fairly short of the mark.
We were shown to an area to choose a seat which was mostly empty apart from a 2 couples but all the tables still had empty glasses which were yet to be cleared. We waited 15 minutes before a waiter/waitress returned to take an order, despite there being more staff in the bar than customers they all studiously avoided our attempts to make eye contact for service when scuttling about clearing up. We ordered two cocktails which then took a further 10 minutes to arrive leaving us with 10 minutes before our train left; we threw our supposedly relaxing night cap down our necks and left after paying at the bar. My drink tasted nice enough but it was luke warm and really not worth £7.50. The live music would have been nicer had the double bass not been miked up and put through the speaker system drowning out the acoustic piano - it's background music in a bar, not Hampden Park.
Just a really disappointing experience all around - shall not be returning.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here several times as my employer preferred this hotel.

Sitting in my room at the Carmelite one evening, I heard the door lock click and a stranger walked in carrying his luggage. My basic expectation of a hotel is that I should be safe. This mix up by the receptionist was inexcusable.

Some of the rooms are absurdly small and uncomfortable.

They claim to take Amex but for months always claimed that there was a temporary problem taking a temporary authorisation.
Once, they asked me to pay in advance because of the above problem. I refused and said that give the issue was with their system, I would pay the next morning on checking out.
Behind my back the receptionist found my credit card details from my previous stay and processed the payment. I lodged a complaint but nothing was done.

I do not trust them with my safety or with my my credit card details.

For all the above reasons I no longer stay at this hotel when visiting Aberdeen.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Barry B
carmelite1, General Manager at Carmelite, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for your review, sincere apologies for the issues you have encountered with us, as yu describe - totally inexcusable. It is perhaps more appropriate to email me direct with your coments in order for me to get dates/times and such like for me to investigate fully.
We did have an issue pre authorising amex cards for a period of time, I am sorry I dont think it is unacceptablet to ask for payment up front in this instance, our procedures are pre authorisation or payment on arrival. There are many other corporate chains with the same policy. We certainly should not have been able to charge from your card previously - if this was over month ago then I can confirm this can not happen now as we have invested considerably in upgrading the front office system which does not store card numbers. Perhaps in a private email you could explain the scenario as I can not understand why we would have charged your card with out you being present - most people would pay on arrival or departue? my address is elaine@carmelitehotels.com

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed here last weekend for 1 night. We arrived early (around 10.30am) and were told that we would not be able to use the car park as nobody had left yet from the night before. Possible but unlikely... We came back at 2pm to check in but the room still wasn't ready and it took another 45mins to get access to the room. Even then we still couldn't get into the car park as apparently now the fob for the car park gate wasn't working... Told to park outside as its free on a Sunday which it is...before 1pm and after 5pm! As this was 2.45pm, we had to pay till 5pm. Whats more, had to then get up at 7.30am to go to the car and pay for the street parking for Monday morning (charge starts at 8am on a weekday). You can only pay for 2 hrs at a time so instead of havng a lie in we just left the hotel at 10am.

On the evening we'd arrived back to the Hotel after dinner and instead of smiling or saying hello the receptionist looked then turned their back on us - not very welcoming. There was also a bizarre sign beside the lifts warning guests not to something (can't remember what, a piano or something) - it bordered on threatening, hadn't even noticed the thing I wasn't supposed to touch...again unnecessary and not very welcoming...

Room is ok but very small. Toilet & shower have see through doors! Bed comfortable, shower good. Hotel was cheap (we paid £50) but any more and I'd have been Very Disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Apologies for the parking issues you encountered, it was a genuine maintenance issue which required the key fob to be re programmed. we only have 4 spaces so it is quite possible that guests prior had not departed on your arrival.

The sign you are refering to was in relation to the baby grand piano which has recently been moved to the other side of the revolving door - it was an over sight on our part that the sign didnt move with it, since you have reported this we have of course moved this to the appropriate place.