“Terrible food”

Ranked #44 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Fraserburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Terrible food”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Second time i have stayed here and i wont be returning...EVER!! My dinner on the first night arrived cold and did not taste fresh - some of the muscles still had their "beards" on and these should be removed prior to cooking, i suspect that they were frozen rather than live muscles as the quality was terrible.

Now breakfast........on the first morning i had a very good breakfast from the hot menu, HOWEVER i helped myself to a glass of juice to find that this small glass of juice added £6.50 onto my bill as it was "not included and part of the breakfast bar which i had not payed for"..........which leads me to the second morning, i waited 20 minutes for my incorrect breakfast to be brought to me, when i stated that this was not what i ordered i was told "yes it was".......emmm trust me it wasn't. I was then asked if i just wanted the incorrect breakfast......no its ok. Eventually i ran out of time for breakfast and just left.

Nice rooms let down by poor food.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank FJS1986
carmelite1, Manager at Carmelite, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for your review, I can only apologise for such poor standards of food & service, could you possibly email me direct with the date of stay please in order for me to investigate further. My email is elaine@carmelitehotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
Motherwell
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Carmelite is a hotel I'd want to stay in again, no question. It's beautiful and full of character, and the food is very good, but where they really score is on their exceptional service. One gets the impression that the staff are well-trained, and even younger ones have good social skills and plenty of motivation. We were there for a birthday party with over 100 guests, which began with canapés and a welcoming drink at three on Saturday (at least three other events were simultaneously going on, but we never got the feeling that staff couldn't cope). Then our party went on to dinner in the Balmoral Suite, where a three-course dinner was served, the hot courses hot and in good condition, with the minimum of fuss. I think it's fair to say that all the guests had a wonderful time at both dinner and disco. We booked a standard room which was very good value for Aberdeen. We could have done with drawer space as well as the wee wardrobe, but the standard rooms are to be refitted this year, and this small niggle will undoubtedly be addressed. The room was bright and comfortable, and beautifully CLEAN, with a lovely bathroom benefitting from plenty of natural light. Oh, and free Wi-Fi, which is an essential these days. I have to come back to the staff, though. They actually seem to love their job, and combine personal warmth with professionalism. Wonderful! Some reviewers may down-star the hotel for city-centre noise (so pick a hotel in the suburbs!) but this old and fascinating granite ex-monastery offers the buzz that only a city hotel can provide. During the day you can sink into the deep chairs and sofas and chairs of the funky lounge, and be quiet if you want to. Staff will make sure you have everything you want. I want to go back - soon.

Room Tip: Perhaps not near the lift?
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
carmelite1, General Manager at Carmelite, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
So glad we gave you a weekend to remember! Our staff will be delighted to read such positive reviews - I will ensure your comments are passed on to all the staff involved.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here as a treat for my birthday and got a deluxe king room for £69 couldnt beleive we got such a bargain !!!!
We waited in the queue to check in with a party in front of us, we waited for around 10 mins as there seemed to be some issues with their check in, they were then taken up to their room. No apology for the wait, but we were checked in with no problems and went up to our room (101) the room was spotless and lovely no complaints at all.
We headed out for a few drinks and a nice meal in the town and headed back to the hotel for a coffee in the bar, the hotel seemed busy with a function, we then went upstairs this is when we discovered why our room was such a bargain, as there was a 40th birthday party in full swing right under the room, and not just muffled music we could hear everything the dj was playing up to the point I was able to sing along with the music !!!!! There was no way anyone was going to get any sleep !!!
I called to reception to complain and also ask why this was not pointed out to us at the time of check in and at that point given an option to move to another room, the receptionist apologised and didnt know why it wasnt pointed out, she then asked if we would like to be moved to another room if there was one available, we were a bit reluctant at the thought of having to pack up everything and move at that time of night but didnt really have much option. She checked and within a few mins she had arranged to shift us, and also offered to come up herself and help us move rooms so within about 10 mins we were moved to a bigger room at the other end of the hotel.
I would like to add that I cant praise her enough for how she dealt with this and also how speedy it was resolved.
I have rated our stay as very good because the hotel itself is lovely but we were obviously faced with the hassle of having to move rooms at 10pm at night when all we wanted to do was go back to our room to relax (nights away from young children are few and far between !!!!) and to make people aware if you are at that side of the hotel and there is a function it will be noisy.

Room Tip: rooms above function suit on the 1st floor very noisy
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I am sorry you were disturbed by the party going on in the Ballmoral Suite, unfortunatley one of the drawbacks of operating such a histoic building is that there are areas that are not as sound proof as we would like. We do try to pre warn guests prior to arrival and apologise that this was not the case with your stay. I hope it didnt put you off staying with us again, if you have plans for an over night stay somewhere in the near future, let me know and I will try to ensure you have an undisturbed night.
aberdeen scotland
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked a room at the Carmelite Hotel, in Aberdeen as it is a beautiful and central hotel, perfect for shopping, lunch, evening dinner and cocktails. Our standard room was very big and bright not to mention immaculately clean. The staff were friendly and polite and made us feel welcome. We had some cocktails in their stunning four poster bed style area whilst listening to the piano and saxophone. We then headed out dancing and returned to our comfy beds at the early hours. The late check out was perfect too so we had time to recover from all the Manhattan's we drank.

Room Tip: Email the hotel in advance to see which rooms are available
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Glad you loved the four poster & your stay with us, Our Four Poster certainly is certainly a feature that people love! Hope to welcome you back soon.
Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Wonderful hotel, quirky, fun, colourful & even a little crazy!!!! We stayed in the Japanese Suite, which was an amazing room. Roll top bath, plasma in the bathroom, wonderful shower room, all within the fantastic, traditional oriental style..

Room Tip: Japanese suite as a checking in upgrade!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
carmelite1, General Manager at Carmelite, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Wonderful to read this review, the Japanese is one of my personal favourite suites too. Many more quirky rooms for you to try though, hope to welcome you back soon.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed here on business between Friday 17th and Sunday 19th May. The Carmelite appeared to offer the better value as it was right next to the Train Station and (as with most Aberdeen Hotels at the Weekend) at a good price. I opted to stay in a Designer Room and was not disappointed.

I was an hour late arriving into Aberdeen and after nine hours on a train I was tired, weary and in need of a nice bath and a good meal. The Hotel is located up a side street and whilst the past reviews are correct in saying that there are lots of pubs nearby – they aren’t really that bad. Upon entering the Hotel it isn’t immediately obvious where the Reception desk is, but I found it soon enough. I did have to wait though for someone to appear and it was unmanned.

I was allocated a room on the first floor and in fairness to Carmelite, when the Receptionist did arrive, it took literally ten seconds for me to sign my life away and get my room key which had already been arranged for my arrival. Straight up the lift to the rooms on the first floor and along a corridor which smelt newly decorated.

The room did not disappoint. A room filled with luxurious furnishings, a digital television, and a small but well appointed bathroom with a roll top bath and rain shower. All the facilities I needed was in the room however there is only a small information leaflet with a limited room service menu.

I had room service delivered and it was lovely, and then had a long soak in the bath before falling asleep. One thing you will notice (again, with most old buildings in Aberdeen) is that the floors do slope considerably. It was a bit weird at first but you tend to ignore stupid things like that when everything else is so nice.

The hotel was very clean, and the service is very good. The staff are great and you can guarantee that your request will be met with a response of “sure” or “no problem”. I will be back.

Room Tip: Higher floors or floors at the back of the building I think would be quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review, its pleasing to read such positive comments.
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here for business and was upgraded to a suite which was very nice, well equipped and spacious, staff were very attentive and polite, Decor modern and very clean. Good location for trains but poor for Airport as a cab will cost you around £20. Good for city centre pubs and eateries.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Glad you enjoyed your upgrade, hope to see you back soon