“Quirky”
Review of Carmelite

Carmelite
Ranked #51 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Having read the various reviews, I have to agree with most of them, both the good and bad when I stayed there for a week recently on a business trip. First the bad:

1. Had a room on the first floor which was extremely noisy, especially when there was a karaoke night in the bar (this finished at midnight).
2. My room wasn't cleaned for the first two days I stayed - no explanation given.
3. The restaurant is a bit shabby and needs some redecoration.
4. The reception is normally unmanned, but when I asked at the bar for service, a manager arrived very quickly.
5. For this price, I'd expect a gym.
6. The area in which it is located is very shabby.
7. No satellite TV.
8. No toiletries in the bathroom.

Then the good:

1. I found service in the bar and restaurant to be very good.
2. The food was excellent - I had breakfast every day and dinner twice. However, I'd probably get tired of the menu if I stayed longer, and the absence of salt was strange to say the least.
3. The hotel was very convenient for both business and shopping and I didn't need a taxi to get anywhere.
4. The decor was quirky and not to everyone's taste, but I found it a welcome change from the norm.
5. The room was comfortable (if noisy), though having to boil water on the floor and the absence of a wardrobe was strange.

Would I stay again? Probably. though only for a short stay and certainly not on karaoke night!

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room on the first floor near to the stairs.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Having been to the Carmelite once before for quite a nice meal I thought it would be a good choice to go back for a nice Sunday lunch. I called up and booked the lounge area as they have live music, which is a fab novelty to enjoy whilst dining.

When I booked the table I asked if they had a Sunday lunch menu which I was advised they did and was told to check the website which I did and it looked fab not to mention it was 3 course for £15 which was great value so overall was looking forward to a nice meal. Unfortunately this didn't quite happen ......

We arrived at the Carmelite and the music in the lounge was in full swing however we were taken to our table....at the very back of the restaurant as far away as possible from the lounge!? I explained that we had booked the lounge area and asked if we could be moved closer but was told 'no it's full'. No apology at all and even though I booked it days earlier it made no difference. We decided to try not let this spoil things and just continued to browse the Sunday menu however the menu we were given was the generic restaurant menu. I asked for the Sunday lunch menu that was on their website but was told 'oh we're not doing that anymore!!' (Even though it's STILL on their website!)

Again no apology at all despite the fact that I'm pretty sure it was the manager/supervisor that was serving us. She seemed to have a very 'couldn't care less' attitude (and that’s being more than polite)! We ordered our starters which two of them were salads and one homemade pate but for some reason we were made to wait 45 minutes!! This time at least to be fair they apologised for the wait, which I guess, was something. The starters were good although I'd be concerned if they got a salad and pate wrong!!

We then waited another 35 minutes for our main courses, which were just average. The beef at least was tender but the fish was extremely greasy and the tagliatelli with smoked haddock & poached egg should have perhaps been described as tagliatelli with flavorless sauce and a VERY hard boiled egg!!
Overall the meal was just bad from start to finish and that's saying something as I am not generally one to complain but I felt this deserved the write up for the bad service more so than the poor food.

Credit where credit is due though due to the VERY long wait the waitress gave us a lemonade off the bill hence the only reason why I'm giving them the 1 star as I would have chose to give them none! With many other nice places to eat in Aberdeen I think it's safe to say I'll wait till they train their staff better before returning to the Carmelite!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Terri021
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have been going to the Carmelite for over 6 years and we can't understand the bad reviews.
The staff are fantastic and friendly, the service in the bar and restaurant is second to none as soon as the staff see you they come and ask what you would like to drink and bring it to your table.

The rooms i
On the first floor are very special, the stand alone bath is fantastic to relax in after a day in aberdeen, the beds are massive too. ( possible choice of pillows could make it better)
Can't wait till we are back again in 2 weeks thanks again to all the staff.
See you soon.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Carmelite is a nice hotel centrally located just off Union Street.

Spacious comfortable rooms. It is probably a nice bargain for weekend breaks.

Only a shame that Aberdeen is so pricy during midweek stays.

£170 for one night plus (!) breakfast...

Hotels that can charge this amount and leave an impression of value for money are few and far between, and Carmelite is no exception.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade during midweek.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

If you're looking for a hotel that's a little different from the others, this could be a good place for you.

The rooms on level 2 have recently been refurbished, and mine was very clean! The room was a little cold upon arrival, but this was soon sorted by staff.

I can't comment on breakfast- I chose to go to a cafe a few minutes down the road.

My only gripe matches that of another user- the reception. You frequently find the reception unmanned. This wouldn't usually be an issue as many other hotels will have a bell that you ring to attract the attention of the staff, but there's no such thing here.

Overall, great 'wee' hotel in a good location- 2 minutes walk away from the Union Square shopping centre. Judging by the rooms on the second floor, this is a good quality three-star, but don't go expecting the Ritz.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We were at the Carmelite for dinner after purchasing an itison voucher, big mistake! Two steak dinners for £17 and even at that we thought we had been ripped off.
Entering the Carmelite the lounge and bar are beautiful, however when we were led through to the restaurant it was very down market, scruffy tables that didn't look very clean and non existant decor.
The service left a lot to be desired, a different member of staff came up to us every two minutes and didnt seem to have a clue whether we had ordered drinks or our food or anything, this was probably due to the fact we ordered a bottle of wine and it did not come for 20 minutes.
As for the food, the steak was ridiculously overdone even though I had asked for medium and the actual quality of the meat was apalling- tiny and mostly consisted of fat! served with 5 chips and a tomato oh and a cremated mushroom.
The no salt at the table was just stupid as well.
I would never go back to this restauant it was laughable how bad it was.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sheila_4321
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Ten of us had afternoon tea at the Carmelite Hotel, Aberdeen - it was fun, something different for a Saturday afternoon. Very busy so would recommend booking.. Very relaxed, comfortable seating but a bit squashed and could have done with a larger table. We had cocktails in the teapots and bit disappointed that not in vintage style teapots but plain white. Also could with done with labels on the pots so we knew what we were drinking! Cakes and sandwiches lovely. Service good and would go back. A great idea for a girly weekend, hen do or just a celebration!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends