All reviews living room off street parking secure parking breakfast room visiting aberdeen town centre reception staff lounge apartment roomy scotland
Reviewed June 22, 2017

In October last year our home became unusable through a water spill, so we were required to move to alternative accommodation. It had been a stressful time, and as we dragged ourselves into the reception, we were at our wits end.

Our stresses and worries were immediately tempered by a warm welcome and a sympathetic ear. We were quickly shown to our apartment. It was well appointed, and although it was somewhat dated in style, we noticed the high quality of decoration, functional fixtures, and decent furniture. The apartment offered quite flexible space and it proved to be a comfortable and cozy home from home. Seven months later, when our home was at last fit to return to, we left the same apartment with some mixed feelings; so happy had we been.

The quality of the stay in Skene apartments was impressive on many levels. Crisp sheets were renewed twice weekly, and the apartment was kept cleaned / towels renewed, daily.

The breakfast room offered an impressive variety of items at a hot and cold buffet. Food cooked fresh and an option to order; was served promptly and with good humour. The sausages were frankly astonishing and became a regular treat. fresh fruit salad and lovely pastries were also a daily temptation.

Breakfast was only one of the aspects that made our stay at Skene Apartments so happy. Access to the pleasant walled garden, easy and secure parking, and a supply of delicious complimentary coffee in the lounge were all welcome aspects that made our stay relaxed and assuring.

All in all, I'm a big fan of Skene Apartments. I could find little fault; even the wifi was reliable. However, my appreciation of the comfortable accommodation and quality of breakfast are not what elevates Skene Apartments to top my list of places to stay. The aspect that they score most highly on is the undeniable sense of luxury.

There is no pool or spa at hand, neither are there extensive grounds that offer long walks in the sun. These amenities are always welcome, but their absence is of little import when a much more fundamental element is so richly present. The sense of luxury evident in Skene Apartments is because of their superb staff. Each and every worker seemed genuinely interested in our comfort and our satisfaction. From smiling reception staff to cheery cleaners, from the very communicative manager to active waiting staff; we were greeted and efficiently served with grace and good humour without fault. Our needs were anticipated and our daily stresses forgotten so easily. Our stay was made near-perfect by the luxury of being served by fine people, who took the time to interact with us.

Since our stay, I gather that our apartment has undergone a refit, and so the rather dated style will have been swept away and a more contemporary design put in its place, which will be lovely. However, if I were to have the opportunity to reside once more at Skene apartments, I would above all anticipate their excellent service as the key to a perfect stay.

Room tip: Blocks 1 or 2; they enjoy access to walled garden.
Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Piotr W, Manager at Skene House Whitehall, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review. It’s been a pleasure to read.
I am delighted that you were happy with your suite. Our apartments give some much more space than a typical hotel bedroom and are ideal especially for a long term stays like yours.
I'm also very pleased that you were happy with the level of customer service you received from our staff members. Our staff genuinely enjoyed making you and your family feel welcome and were happy to help whenever possible.
As you know, the apartment block you were staying in is currently undergoing a complete refurbishment; with a modern design, but with the same home away from home feel. We are very excited to see the finished result!
Thank you again for your amazing review and I’m glad you have settled back into your home after your ordeal.

Kind regards,
Piotr and Carly

Reviewed May 24, 2017

We stayed in Skene House Whitehall for three evenings in late April/early May. We were situated in a room on the 3rd floor, with double beds, a bathroom, a living room, and a kitchen. I did like the room setup since it was easy if one person wished to get up and walk about and the other sleep in. You could easily wander off and watch tv and not bother anyone. The kitchen had a microwave, cabinets, cutlery, tea and coffee, pots/pans, and a fridge. While I do think the decor could be update the room itself was quite clean and functional. Beds were not exceptionally comfortable, but not awful either (so out of 5-10 I'd give the beds a 5). Their breakfasts downstairs were not the best (and overpriced- just go to Tesco and buy some food). Also the water heat can be turned off from the kitchen (we had to call and they told us how to re-start it). I think it was a mistake though when they cleaned, so no big deal. The positives were they helped us with our extremely heavy bags up all the flights of stairs and down them again, and the place has an onsite, free, laundry facility and they provide soap. This is extremely useful when you want to clean your disgusting clothes and don't want to find a laundrette. Parking is adequate and behind a gate. Quite frankly, if I were in the area I would not mind staying with them again. They were very affordable and in a location where you could easily walk downtown if desire.

Room tip: Accessibility is possible probably on the bottom floor.
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Piotr W, Manager at Skene House Whitehall, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Skene House Whitehall. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and would return when next in Aberdeen.
Please accept my apologies that there were one or two issues during your stay. We are in the process of replacing many of our mattresses. This takes some time due to the number of suites but hopefully it will be much better for your next stay.
Thank you again.

Reviewed May 19, 2017 via mobile

Seriously, check out the photo I guess it's perfect if you want to build a pillow fort and watch a movie from it?.. Or pass out drunk on the floor?.. ;)

Otherwise the place was OK. Smelled a bit sweaty when we came in, but we aired it out. There's a sofa on wheels right up against a glass wall, so I would strongly recommended sitting down gently on it. The suite was quite basic, with very dated furniture, but perfectly fine for a couple of nights. The shower is great - good water pressure. Very bouncy bed which is my pet hate :/ Overall - "OK".

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
SkeneHouse, Manager at Skene House Whitehall, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Skene House Whitehall. Your comments are very much appreciated, as they are one of the best tools we have for maintaining our high standards of guest comfort and satisfaction.
I was disappointed to read that we were unable to completely fulfil our “service promise” to you, but with your comments we can resolve these issues and improve our service for our guests in the future. I will investigate the issue with the sofa that you mentioned and I'm sorry that the bed was uncomfortable for you.
With regards to your comments about the pillows, we only have 4 pillows on our double beds which I believe is standard across many hotels. I couldn't find your picture so I'm not really sure what your comments are relating to here. I can only assume that you felt 4 pillows were too many. If you had reported this issue to Reception, we would have been more than happy to remove the extra pillows if you found them uncomfortable.

With this in mind, we hope you will consider returning to Skene House again in the future.

Kind regards,
Carly Simmers
Manager

Reviewed May 15, 2017 via mobile

Stayed on an overnight. Clean comfortable and all you need. Welcoming staff and pleasant extras such as coffee, tea and bar. Breakfast was fine with food brought out when stocks are low. Fruit was a bit tarnished as out too long.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Piotr W, Manager at Skene House Whitehall, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2017

We were very pleased to read that we were able to provide everything to make your stay a comfortable one. Please accept my apologies the the fruit wasn't at its best.
Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed May 14, 2017

Again, I hate using such extreme exaggeration but this hotel is well-deserved. I was astounded by how comprehensive the facilities provided by the hotel. It is very helpful that there is a laundry I could use and nice kitchen that I could cook my own meal, and comfortable bed, lounge room, and bathtub. Needless to say I got the biggest room I have ever stayed with the capacity even up to 3 people. It is really a luxury noble treatment with very reasonable price. I feel even better to stay here than my own home. Definitely want to come back.

Room tip: I stayed in suite 10 and it is well-established with a bedroom, a lounge, a bathroom, a kitchen and a guest room.
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank GilbertQi

Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review of your time at Skene House Whitehall. We were delighted that you enjoyed everything so much. We aim to provide a home from home so it's great that we seem to have provided this for you.
Thank you again and hopefully we will be able to welcome you back again soon.