“Ideal for 3”

Ranked #1 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Kirkcudbright, United Kingdom
“Ideal for 3”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Husband, daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights recently. The 2 bedroom apartment was in a building behind the main hotel and was 'compact' but perfectly adequate for our needs with double and single bedroom, small bathroom, kitchen and sitting room with TV and computer access. Breakfast was f.o.c. for Continental with very good choice and not expensive for the cooked option. Tea and coffee provided all day in the Lounge and in the evening an Honesty Bar appeared which was handy and inexpensive. Staff couldn't have been more helpful and we would definitely stay again. It was a 15 minute walk to town so might try one of their properties nearer the centre next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2whitehall, Manager at Skene House Whitehall, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Skene House Whitehall. We are delighted that you found our staff helpful and that you would return to stay with Skene House again.

We are very fortunate to have a spacious guest lounge with an honour bar and we try to keep our prices as reasonable as possible.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards
Karen Barbour
Manager – Skene House Whitehall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
West Michigan
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We only stayed here one night, but did this place ever make an impression on us.

First, the location is great--easy walking distance to the main downtown, the ferry, museums, everything you want to do in Aberdeen.

Second, our accommodation was spacious and lovely. It was nice to be able to spread our things over a couple of rooms after 10 days of staying in hotel rooms. One word of warning to Americans, though: Our room was on the third floor, which meant it was four floors up. It was a long, steep way to haul all of our luggage.

There also was a guest laundry, which was one of the reasons we chose to stay here.

But the real standout was the staff. They all made us feel welcome and answered our silly questions and were extremely helpful. Everyone was willing to give us recommendations and directions. I'm sure, however, they were snickering discretely behind our backs. One poor man actually trekked all the way from the front desk, outside, down the block a bit, and up four flights of stairs to show me how the shower worked. I had tried everything. (It was simple and he was gracious.)

And now the grand finale. We left two bags of luggage there while we took a trip to the Orkney and Shetland islands. When we returned, we faced a real dilemma. We were on our way to Iceland and needed to totally repack to distribute clothes to A) meet airline weight regulations and B) make sure we each had clothes in several bags in case something got lost.

They actually let us spread out all over the guest lounge and totally repack our four bags. Remember--we had stayed there ONE night a week before. And they even called a cab for us when we were finally ready to go.

We had worried plenty about how we were going to reorganize, and they made it simple. Their hospitality was unmatched and a wonderful welcome to Scotland.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
JenniferMLindsay, Guest Relations Manager at Skene House Whitehall, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Skene House Whitehall. We greatly appreciate your efforts and indeed the great detail in your review is extremely helpful to other travellers.

We take great pride in the quality and delivery of our customer service and I am delighted to read that you described your experience as 'unbeatable'. The Whitehall team is always willing to go the extra mile to ensure that guests have a comfortable and memorable stay, whether the guest is staying for one night or one year - and your experience is a perfect example.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Skene House Whitehall in the near future.

With kind regards,

Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We chose Skene House Whitehall after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor.

We were greeted by a very friendly and efficient receptionist (Lindsay) who explained the set up at the suites and then arranged for us to be taken to our suite. The suites are located near to the reception, lounge and dining room but by the nature of the suites there isn't a walk through - you need to go outside to walk to them.

The suite consisted of a bedroom with en-suite, small kitchen and a large lounge.

The rooms are well appointed, and ours included small extras such as fresh milk in the fridge. Also, the rooms are well provided with power sockets.

Breakfast is a self select continental buffet but if you required it a hot breakfast was available at an extra charge.

The lounge area is located next to reception where coffee, tea and biscuits are freely available all day. In addition, there is an honour bar which has a good selection of alcoholic and soft beverages that are reasonably priced.

The location of the suites is only a short walk (5 minutes max) from the top of Aberdeen's Union Street.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing Skene House Whitehall on TripAdvisor.

We greatly appreciate that you have taken the time to write such a detailed review and shared your thoughts with other travellers.

Your lovely comments have been passed to Lindsay and indeed we work hard to provide consistently friendly and efficient service.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon,

Kind regards,

Kilmarnock
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife & I have stayed at Skene House twice before, and we returned with confidence for our 40th wedding anniversary weekend. There is nothing new we can say about this accommodation, service & staff - everything was perfection as usual, with staff ever ready to assist willingly with anything you liked to ask for. We'll certainly be back!

Room Tip: You do not need to "choose a good room" at Skene House, they're all good. A concierge...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JenniferMLindsay, Guest Relations Manager at Skene House Whitehall, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you chose to spend your 40th Anniversary at Skene House Whitehall.

Whitehall's spacious suites and warm and inviting atmosphere provides the perfect setting for any celebration. Indeed, we do strive for perfection every time so I am delighted that you have shared your experience with other travellers.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon,

With kind regards,

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We booked the Skene House for a family gathering to celebrate 2 very special birthdays. The staff''s attention to detail was second to none, making our weekend very special indeed. We will definitely come back next time we are in Aberdeen.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review Skene House Whitehall on TripAdvisor.

Skene House Whitehall's spacious apartments are perfect for family celebrations in Aberdeen. We take great pride in making our guests' feel special and I am delighted to read that you found the team's attention to detail 'second to none'.

We look forward to your next visit,

With kind regards

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The staff were outstanding in helping me understand what I could find in the area and just at generally putting me to ease in my new settings.

I arrived to find I had been upgraded which is usually a good thing but I was moved to a suite which had five separate rooms… very much overkill for me considering I was only one person and had to keep moving about the individual rooms whereas I’m used to having everything I need in one. Apart from that it was a lovely suite, furnishings are a little dated but clean and overall in good condition. I’d recommend it to anyone passing through who is looking for accommodation in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2whitehall, Manager at Skene House Whitehall, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
First and foremost I would like to apologise for the late response to this review, due to a technical glitch our original response was not posted.

I was pleased to read that our staff were outstanding and that you were happy with the cleanliness of your suite and would recommend us to others. I am sorry that on this occasion the upgrade provided was more than you were looking for. We have a wide range of suites available and should you decide to return I am sure we can find something to suit your needs.

Kind Regards

Karen Barbour
Manager - Skene House Whitehall
Houston, Tx
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The staff is super helpful and friendly. Location is great - easy to walk to Union St. I stayed in 832 which is on the 4th floor, with no elevator. The bellhop cheerfully carried my heavy bag. The problem were the 2 skylights in the bedroom and bath, which weren't completely closed. Now if you live where it rains, wouldn't you keep the skylights closed and not rely on your guests to have to play around with it to get a tight seal? This is my first gripe-y review but I was irritated when the desk sent a letter telling me they weren't closed as if its my duty. They also sent a huge box of chocolates. Just left a sour taste with me. It's really a great option, but I'd skip room 832.

Room Tip: It's a 4 story bldg without elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pegomh
2whitehall, Manager at Skene House Whitehall, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us at Skene House Whitehall. I was pleased to read that you found our staff to be both helpful and friendly; they pride themselves on providing excellent customer service.

As your review mentions, we don’t have any elevators, all our suites are situated within granite buildings and therefore are accessible only by stairs. We have 24 hour concierge staff, always on hand to help with luggage, but should you return to Skene House in the future, please do not hesitate to contact Reception prior to your arrival and request a suite on the lower floor, we always do our best to accommodate guest’s requests.

I am sorry that you experienced an issue with the windows in your suite, this was due to the windows not being correctly closed. The letter sent to your suite was only meant to explain the reason for the leak and we were in no way suggesting that we expected you to resolve this issue. This is why we have 24 hour staff, on hand to help. I sincerely apologise if this is not how the letter read and again the chocolates were meant as way of an apology for the inconvenience you experienced.

I hope that we get the chance to welcome you back to Skene House in the future.

Kind Regards