“has potential”

Ranked #39 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
moray
“has potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was an easy walk to the music hall. It used to be a favourite of ours but it was a while since we had visited. We did manage to get a space in the tiny car park which was mostly filled with 4x4 vehicles, which probably doesn't help when space is at a premium! The hotel clearly has seen better days. Some of the furnishings, particularly in the room were a bit shabby. The public areas are quite pleasant. We were ready for a nightcap as we returned from our concert just before 11 but the bar was closed. Breakfast was nice though. The staff we met seemed nice. Unfortunately the hotel now has a lot of competition in the city centre. I feel that unless a refurbishment is undertaken it will be left behind by the slicker operations of its competitors. That would be a real shame!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest
The team and I would like to thank you for your kind words and I am pleased the hotel is a favourite of yours, we are ideally situated to the music hall making us a popular choice, an ongoing refurbishment programme is in place we have started on some of the bedrooms and are hoping to continue into the public areas after that.
Do come back and see us again next time you are in Aberdeen,
John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Czech first
Fraserburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Charming
I have recently been staying at the Copthorne Aberdeen where I have to be honest the hotel is charming with really pleasant staff O and the food was great. I had read some of the previous reviews and was sceptical yet I think some comments are a bit unjust. This is not a new hotel with all the mod cons but a charming older property we stayed for two nights, the location was spot on right in the centre we walked to the shops and we visited HM theatre. As we needed to be at the theatre early the general manager got us an early dinner. Well done and thank you Copthorne Aberdeen

Room Tip: Club Room Was Great
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for responding to trip advisor after your recent stay, I will pass on your comments to the team they will be pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. His Majesty’s theatre makes us the ideal choice for when visiting the theatre I hope you enjoyed the performance you chose to see.
Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back.
Auckland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I've been staying here the last 9 days and will be leaving next week. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpfull but both reception and the bar are sometimes understaffed which is an issue the management need to address. The hotel Chef turns out some excellent meals in the evening and the full Scottish Breakfast is also very good. The room that I am working from is supposed to be a club room but is a real dissapointment. The work desk is very small and jammed in between the bed and a wall. The televison is an old style TV that needs to be changed out for a flat screen, right now it takes up a third of a very small desk. The biggest problem with this hotel is the noise, all the floors creak and the walls are paper thin I get to listen to conversations and snoring in the adjacent rooms. I get to stay in a lot of hotels and this room is the noisiest I have come accross.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
I would like to thank you for taking the time to feedback to trip advisor. All guest comments are used in a positive way as this helps us to ensure we keep improving the guest experience.
The Copthorne is an older style property compared to some of the new developments within the city however this makes for the charm of the hotel, the building itself is steeped in character and history, we are working our way through the hotel making improvements as we go, I do hope you make me aware of your next visit so that I can show you the changes we have made.
John

Travelers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel after deciding to stay an extra night in Aberdeen on our anniversary weekend, stayed the first night in malmaison Which is a 4 Star and the difference in quality was unbelievable.

The hotel was ok for a last minute booking and to get our extra night, it was clean, tidy and the rooms were large and well presented. Check in was fast and efficient and the staff friendly enough.

Some not so good points: couldn't charge drinks to the room at the bar, apparently because I had a visa debit card and not a credit card(thats a first), eventually got a drink by paying on that same card on the chip and pin at the bar.

The welcome pack states that each room has a mini bar, request it to be filled by reception, however their wasn't even a fridge.

Lastly, which was unbelievable a member of the hotel staff knocked at the door at 0750 in morning waking me and my wife up and giving us a shock, I answered to " excuse me, sorry sir but what time are you checking out please" he then knocked on every door on the landing and asked the same question, some upset tired people there i think!. I have told the story a hundred times to friends that asked how the weekend was, which creates great amusement.

Overall nice place, clean, well maintained, with friendly staff. Just not 4 star compared with malmaison hotel.

Stayed April 2013
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
Let me begin by congratulating you on your anniversary and for choosing Aberdeen to celebrate this special occasion. Our location makes it a great choice for anyone wishing to get the most out of the city. Aberdeen is a bustling place to visit and I am sure you found plenty to do just a short walk away from us.
Housekeeping has asked me to send on their apologies for disturbing you this was a genuine mistake and are deeply sorry. Please do make me aware of any future reservations that you may have with us so that myself and the team can ensure we look after you.

Aberdeen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Got back to the hotel at 12:15am to find the bar closed. Ah well time for bed. But no there's a disco under our room. Phone the front desk, yes it goes on until 1am, but I'll ask them to keep it down, this made no difference. Just not on for a four star hotel. Will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: notat the back of the hotel unless you like bangin tunes
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your posting, I was disappointed to hear you were allocated a room near to the function room as we try hard to ensure this does not happen. Our guest experience is important to us so please do make me aware of any future reservation so that we can look after you.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed at the copthorne hotel for one night and will never EVER be staying again. The car park was small and underground. Having struggled down with my van, the car park was full. Struggled back out to pay £14 for parking across the road!
The receptionist was COMPLETLEY un helpful in resolving the parking situation. He then proceeded to tell me I hadn't paid for my room, when my boss had pre-paid online! So to get my head down (it was already 10pm) I paid again for the room! The hotel wasnt particulaly clean, my room was basic, the facilties ancient. All together dissapponting and no where near worth the money. If a premiere inn at £40 can get it so right, then how at £80 per night can this hotel get it so wrong!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Clairehazel
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am sorry you found the car park a tight squeeze. We have a small number of parking spaces beneath the hotel however I have to say they are for cars only not for a van or a larger vehicle. Please do not let the parking put you off returning to us, as in the future please make me aware of your visit and I can assist or advise you on a safe and secure place to put your vehicle overnight.

Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at the Copthorne again with friends. Warm welcome at reception. Three of us shared a room with two double beds. The room was comfortable but the furniture and decor was a little tired. There was fixings for what I think was a missing mirror beside the TV and the wall was very dirty and marked. Bathroom was spacious and very clean.
The room service was second to none, quick and the staff were very pleasant. Nothing was too much trouble.
We had room service breakfast which was lovely and piping hot.
Included in our Club room was a free drink and a late check out was perfect after a late night,
Thank you again all at the Copthorne.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback to other trip advisor members after staying with us in Aberdeen.
I have recently taken up the post as General Manager and I have to say my first impressions of the Hotel and the Team is that there is dedication and commitment to you the guest in abundance. This level of service is hard to find these days yet in the Copthorne Aberdeen from the Kitchen to Reception and Housekeeping to the Restaurant this professional approach is certainly there.
As a hotel in a busy city we will always be competing with newer products and facilities yet producing a fantastic service and great food can win every time. Over the coming months we will be working hard to move on with our in house refurbishment programme, I do hope that you come back to see us later in the year so see the improvements we have made.