“AWFUL!”

Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen
Ranked #41 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
“AWFUL!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed at the copthorne hotel for one night and will never EVER be staying again. The car park was small and underground. Having struggled down with my van, the car park was full. Struggled back out to pay £14 for parking across the road!
The receptionist was COMPLETLEY un helpful in resolving the parking situation. He then proceeded to tell me I hadn't paid for my room, when my boss had pre-paid online! So to get my head down (it was already 10pm) I paid again for the room! The hotel wasnt particulaly clean, my room was basic, the facilties ancient. All together dissapponting and no where near worth the money. If a premiere inn at £40 can get it so right, then how at £80 per night can this hotel get it so wrong!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Clairehazel
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am sorry you found the car park a tight squeeze. We have a small number of parking spaces beneath the hotel however I have to say they are for cars only not for a van or a larger vehicle. Please do not let the parking put you off returning to us, as in the future please make me aware of your visit and I can assist or advise you on a safe and secure place to put your vehicle overnight.

John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Czech first
Perth
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at the Copthorne again with friends. Warm welcome at reception. Three of us shared a room with two double beds. The room was comfortable but the furniture and decor was a little tired. There was fixings for what I think was a missing mirror beside the TV and the wall was very dirty and marked. Bathroom was spacious and very clean.
The room service was second to none, quick and the staff were very pleasant. Nothing was too much trouble.
We had room service breakfast which was lovely and piping hot.
Included in our Club room was a free drink and a late check out was perfect after a late night,
Thank you again all at the Copthorne.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback to other trip advisor members after staying with us in Aberdeen.
I have recently taken up the post as General Manager and I have to say my first impressions of the Hotel and the Team is that there is dedication and commitment to you the guest in abundance. This level of service is hard to find these days yet in the Copthorne Aberdeen from the Kitchen to Reception and Housekeeping to the Restaurant this professional approach is certainly there.
As a hotel in a busy city we will always be competing with newer products and facilities yet producing a fantastic service and great food can win every time. Over the coming months we will be working hard to move on with our in house refurbishment programme, I do hope that you come back to see us later in the year so see the improvements we have made.
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This month (March 2013) I went to 2 parties at Copthorne Hotel : the first is a charity fundraising and the second one a retirement party. I have found that the food (buffet) is delicious, the staff are so friendly & helpful and the service is excellent.

It's already hard to be satistied with a hotel once but this is twice in one month!! This is impressive. Three Cheers to the hotel manager and his staff!!!

Dear Guest,
In fact I should say, dear regular guest, thank you for informing me of the two wonderful experiences you have had at the Copthorne Aberdeen, The dedicated food and beverage team work hard to deliver an expectation that is producing to carry a lot of merit across the city.
Each night the chef puts together a special board that consists of dishes he and the team have been working on for future menus; our current menu has just been launched along with a new bar menu. Why not follow us on face book to see chefs dish of the day.

cumbernauld, scotland
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My brother and I visited Aberdeen for a one-nighter 'on the tiles'. Arrived at hotel at 1.00 pm and squeezed into car park (having a smart car helped). We got a good deal on a club room and this included a free drink each and snacks and a full breakfast. The room was big and quiet (but then again the hotel seemed to very quiet in any case). Two twin double beds, good toiletries etc. Location is good - two minutes from Union Street and breakfast was excellent. No cause to complain!

Room Tip: Club room package was good. Saved a small fortune being able to park in hotel.
Dear Guest,
Being central to the city does make us the ideal choice when looking to do some shopping, go to the theatre or simply to visit some of the fantastic art galleries locally. The Club rooms are always well received so thank you for pointing out the luxury toiletries and the benefits with in the room.
I hope you come back to see us again in the future – for some great leisure break offers please follow us on facebook .
Linlithgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

On business in Aberdeen my colleague chose the Copthorne as it indicated that it had a car park. However on arrival at 17:00 we found that this was quite tiny and down a very narrow entrance. Once inside it was so cramped and full that it took a 10 point turn to prepare for exiting again! We were then blocked by two incoming cars who had to reverse up the ramp back into the street.
Adequate car parking is available just 50 yards away in the public car park (Chapel Street) - this is a pay by phone or cash only system - no credit cards. Paying by phone if you are not registered involves making a phone call and trying to respond to texts to get registered - took me 30 minutes! If i had known I would have registered my vehicle on the website (https://paybyphone.co.uk/parking/) as once registered payment is extremly easy (taken from the registered credit card) with email receipt - it is also cheaper than the cash value advertised for 24h parking!.
As to the hotel - it was comnfortable, quiet and provide me with a good nights sleep. Breakfast is the normal self service buffet style affair and was agreable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Parking under the hotel is extremely limited that is correct, for being so central we are lucky to have some spaces however as you mentioned the car park opposite the hotel does some fantastic deals during the week and at weekends https://paybyphone.co.uk/parking following the link will get you to the web site for reserving parking prior to arrival.
Breakfast has to be the best meal of the day and for us to improve our service to you the guest we have now taken away the buffet breakfast Monday to Friday and replaced it with breakfast to order this ensure you receive your breakfast hot and fresh to your plate. Should you be in a rush in the morning the team will do you a grab and go which will include a hot coffee of your choice with a roll filled with any of your preferred breakfast items? I am looking forward to you welcoming you back.

Aberdeen
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I used the Crystal Suite and bar/restaurant area for a business function in November 2012 and could not fault the service i received from Jennifer Mann and her team. I worked very closely with staff in the weeks and months running up the event and they provided a bespoke package of food, drinks and services to match my exact needs.

The city centre location is excellent and rooms are affordable for delegates. Although there are undoubtedly more modern hotels in the city centre, i have used this location on a number of other occasions for parties, lunches, meetings etc and enjoy the comfortable and friendly atmosphere it offers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
What lovely comments you have made on the hotel, thank you so much as this is a real boost for the team at the hotel. As a hotel we have been listening to our clients and as a result Jennifer and her team are putting together an event in May to showcase our wonderful new corporate menus some with a special twist – function rooms set for meetings and events, all so that you the client not only gets to see what we do but also gets to taste what we are proposing.
I do hope that you can get the chance to come along, also anyone reading this reply that would like to be invited along please contact Jennifer Mann on 01224 630404 for further details or follow us on facebook for further information

Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed here on business for five nights on a DB&B rate.
I found the hotel to be as others have reported, a bit dated, however it was very comfortable and clean. The bathroom was perfectly acceptable and there was no issues with hot water. I will say that the shower head is at an odd height and i found that to be slightly frustrating.
The bed was very comfortable and I have to say i slept well there. I had no issues with being too hot or cold, which for me was a nice change when staying in a hotel.

I never ate breakfast as the dining room does not open till 7am and i had to leave the hotel then. I do feel the hotel should give consideration to opening this a little earlier.

The meals in the evening were all cooked to a high standard and I felt the menu was very well thought out. It's not startling, but it is all very acceptable.

The hotel has a tiny car park under the reception,, you will find this a challenge. once full you have to use a multi storey over the street, or get on street parking, both options are expensive. If you are driving i would keep this in mind.

The hotel itself is in a great location, just a very short stroll from Union Street.

Finally, I would say that the staff here were exceptional. I found almost every one of them to be friendly and helpful.. well done to them!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
A big, big thank you for highlighting the great team at the hotel and for raising such a valid point regarding our breakfast times, from you prompting this issue I am happy to inform you that as of Monday 25th March 2013 we have moved the restaurant opening time to 06.30, this will not show on our stationary just yet.
As I have always said listening to our guests is the best way for us to learn the expectation of you the client. Thank you again for guiding us to improve our service to you

kind Regards