“Great location for AECC”

Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre
Ranked #58 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This Hotel is in a great location if you are attending an event at the AECC but that is the only positive thing I can think of. I stayed there while it was very hot weather, the room has no air conditioning and the window only opens ajar. It was important I felt refreshed in the morning as I was working at busy Conference, however I struggled to sleep for the heat, also with the window open I could hear a rather loud buzzing noise all the time, possibly a generator. I was then rudely awakened at 4.17am with my neighbours TV at full volume, which I now understand is the 'alarm call'. I was just about dropping off again when the early morning traffic started....in all honestly I would've been better off staying in a nicer, quieter Hotel in the City Centre and getting a taxi as I felt very tired. I have to say the food in the Restaurant was very average, £17 for fish and chips ??? There were a few complaints that evening in the Restaurant regarding the food, surprising considering the very high prices. Also shocked at the price of drinks at the bar, just under a tenner for 2 x Gin & Tonics, I am just glad it was only 2 nights as I could not have afforded to stay longer. Very overpriced, I would've just about forgiven the problems with the room if the Restaurant and bar had been the same as the room .....'cheap and cheerful' ! Never again, staff were very unhelpful and quite honestly in my opinion all of the Restaurant staff need re-training if they are going to charge that high then at least provide the service and quality !

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Carlos N, Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Dear RLMAberdeen,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn AECC. I was disappointed to hear that your stay was not up to standard. With regards to the room temperature I am terribly sorry you were not able to get a good night’s sleep, in the next few months we are about to start a refurbishment of all our rooms which will include air conditioning.
I am currently looking into your comments regarding the restaurant with both my head chef and restaurant manager so that these problems do not arise again in the future.
If you would like to contact me directly to discuss you stay in more detail please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel or via my email address carlos.nunez@hiaberdeen .com
Best Regards
Carlos Nunez
General manager

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night. Room was comfortable and shower was excellent until it stopped working! Hairdrier next to useless. Breakfast buffet at £10.95 was lovely especially the smoked haddock and poached eggs. I would have complained about the shower if we'd stayed longer but it was OK for the one night. Staff were generally very helpful.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Carlos N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Gailvds,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn AECC. I am sorry to hear you had problems with your shower and I have had my maintenance manager have a look at it to see why this would have happened.
I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and will be sure to pass on your comments to the kitchen team.
I hope the team and I will be welcoming you back to the hotel in the future

Operations Manager

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stayed here for weekend. Room was absolutely spotless. The staff were very efficient and friendly especially young man on reception but didn't get his name. Azalea in the restaurant was lovely and made us feel very welcome both nights at dinner. Food was great both at breakfast and dinner. Hope to have another weekend in this hotel later in the year.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear MaryWoodbine

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at the Holiday Inn AECC. I am pleased to hear you found our staff to be friendly and efficient, I will be sure to pass this onto them.

We look forward to seeing you back for your next visit to Aberdeen.

Ross Andrews

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed here early May as we were catching a flight from the Aberdeen airport. I generally like to stay a bit closer to an airport but the hotel prices were quiet dear in aberdeen especially with the Canadian dollar having lost some value lately. I love the Holiday Inn Express chain so i thought i would give this hotel a try and use my reward points to pay. What a great choice. The staff was friendly and very courteous. The room was a reasonable size for a UK hotel room. We had a great sleep.

They have a restaurant and a sports pub. Great atmosphere.

Only warning: give yourself more time than you think you need to get to the airport. The traffic is busy and slow.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank AngieK-SSI
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Dear Angie-SSI

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn AECC. I am delighted to hear that you had such a nice time. I will be more than happy to pass on your lovely comments about the staff, they always like to hear that they are doing well. I hope we will be welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 5 nights whilst working in Aberdeen.

Staff very helpful and friendly, printed off documents during my stay.

Room was bigger than expected, excellent desk space for work, lack of plug sockets but this is the norm in most chain hotels, clean and comfortable bed and pillows.

The breakfast choice was enormous, no complaints. Restaurant offered lots of choice - benefited from the new menu that was introduced from Day 2 of my stay.

Very convenient for Exhibition Centre.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Dear Lea T,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn AECC. I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay and in particular enjoyed our new menu. I am pleased to hear you found the staff helpful and friendly and will be sure to pass that on to them.

We all look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Aberdeen

Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed at Holiday Inn Aberdeen for 2 nights while attending a Conference next door which was very convenient. Our bedroom was excellent, spacious, comfy and clean. However the restaurant was a great disappointment. We wanted to book a table for 8.00 pm but were told there was none available until 9.00 pm. While passing the restaurant at 8.15 pm I noticed it was only half full and approached the desk and asked if we could have a table then instead of waiting for 9.00 pm. The young woman did not reply but immediately looked at her list and after a few minutes took us immediately to a table. The other tables in the restaurant did not fill up while we were there. The food was served quickly but was very unappetising and was more like school dinners.

The following morning we had arranged to meet our friends at 9.00 am for breakfast. My husband and I had the buffet which was very nice and we enjoyed it very much. However, our friends, who do not eat meat ordered the poached smoked haddock with a poached egg on top. They waiting almost an hour for the fish to arrive despite asking several times if the fish was ready. We were told the kitchen was busy and it would only be 5 minutes. At 10.00 am my husband and I left as we had to check out and get to the Conference for 10.30am After an hour of waiting our friends were eventually served the smoked haddock and poached egg but the fish had been microwaved and not poached. They were too late to get to the start of the Conference and missed the morning session completely. The front desk did refund the price of breakfast from their bill but they would have preferred better service and food. Very disapointing!

Stayed: April 2014
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear Irene B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn AECC. I am glad to hear that you found the bedroom comfortable and clean, I will be sure to pass this on to my housekeeping department.

I am disappointed to read that you and your friends did not have an enjoyable experience in our restaurant. I’m sorry you were not originally able to get a table at the time you were looking for, the restaurant was very busy that evening and due to high demand a lot of tables were booked for later on in the evening, we had a few cancelations as people decided to go out instead of waiting until 9pm and that is when we were then able to take your booking. We do advise that dinner bookings are made upon check in so that you are guaranteed a table at your preferred time.

I am currently looking into what happened the following morning at breakfast time with my head chef and restaurant manager, I am glad to hear that you and your husband enjoyed our buffet. We have made a few changes in regards to how our fish is cooked in the mornings so we hope this will now improve the quality.

Once again I am truly sorry to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as it should have been. We take all our guest comments very seriously and pass them on to all staff members so that we can constantly be improving. I hope if you return to Aberdeen in the future you will stay with us again so we can restore your faith in us.

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Holiday Inn at the exhibition centre last weekend. To find fault with this hotel you would have to be very very picky. Great value for money, great food, lovely room (spotless) and a designated smoking room which is a pleasure for us old smokers. Staff could not have been nicer. We will definitely be back. Many thanks to all the staff especially Scott and fabulous General Manager Carlos

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Carlos N, Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Geoval102

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

It was nice speaking to you and I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to the rest of my staff. I look forward to seeing you back next time!

Carlos Nunez.