“Pricey Hotel”

Ranked #51 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Pricey Hotel”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn as i was working in Aberdeen. I did request something more central but the location of this hotel is anything but central. It is rather a long walk into the city centre. Not for the faint hearted.

The hotel itself i can only describe as a Holiday Inn, nothing special. It was clean and tidy and the staff were very pleasant. The room was similar to what you would expect in a Premmier Inn but certainly nothing better.

Due to its remote location i ate in the bar during the evening. It was nearly £19 for a Guiness with burger and chips.

Breakfast was good, a buffet style hot plate.

In summary the standard of this hotel i would view as reasonble but the prices are shocking, £149 bed and breakfast. I have stayed in 5 star hotels in city centres for less. A very very expensive hotel taking into consideration it is very average.

If you have to stay here take out a loan for a good night in the bar and for some decent food. Otherwise make sure you take biscuits tea and coffee for your room. My complimentary tea and coffee lasted a couple of hours. NO BISCUITS. For £149 every room should have a bottle of wine and some decent biscuits (even cream cakes).

Room Tip: All very similar. Ask for one not facing main road. Very busy with traffic.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nige S
K_Parchimowicz, Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your recent review.

I am happy to notice that overall you have enjoyed your stay and appreciated our staff efforts to make you feel comfortable. When it comes to our prices I do admit that Aberdeen market driven by the very high demand for rooms at the moment pushes the prices up however I would like to assure you that we are trying to balance that up by offering advance purchases with significant discounts as well as very good weekend prices.

Once again thank you for your time.

With kind regards
Reservations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently and I must say its terrible the receptionist was arrogant not at all helpful. What there pass as food is disgusting the chips not even half cooked the bread bun fell to pieces I only order chicken burger and chips. The breakfasts are terrible bacon that's virtually alive. £4 a pint of lager. Location terrible

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Ian C,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and providing feedback. I'm glad you found our hotel clean. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation and then let you down with our service. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Travelled up to Aberdeen for the weekend. Really impressed by the receptionist - very warm and friendly. Same with the staff in the restaurant for breakfast. Room was clean and comfortable. All in all, very good value

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
K_Parchimowicz, Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for your recent stay in our hotel and your kind comment.

It is always fantastic to receive such a great feedback. What pleases me the most is the fact that you have appreciated our staff efforts - part which as far as we are concerned is the most important. Please be assured that I will pass your comment to all my collegues and I am sure that it will put a smile on their faces.

Once again thank you for your time

Kind regards
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Room clean and tidy, but lacking in complimentary tea and coffee. No bottled water, which is a little mean at £120 a night B&B, although I accept this is cheap for Aberdeen.
Restaurant too pricey for what is essentially standard bar food, although very well cooked and presented. Breakfast choice and quality was excellent.
The biggest asset to this hotel is the staff. Polite and efficient at all times, a rarity these days.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our property on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that overall you have enjoyed yourself during your recent stay with us and appreciated our staff efforts to make you fell welcomed. Your comments about the quality of the food served in our restaurant are also very appreciated. I do admit that our prices are on a rather high end however it is due to a very demanding Aberdeen market and we always make sure that we stay in line our local competitors.

I do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

Many thanks
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times now, the staff are always friendly, the room always clean and spacious.
Odd not to see porridge on the breakfast menu or rye bread for those with wheat allergies, in this day and age, some alternatives would be nice. I was disappointed in one thing though and that's the wifi system. Being a member of the priority club I still don't understand why we have to pay for wifi or use those silly little username/password slips of paper for 30 mins!
A bit annoying when you are trying to connect with work or family.
The young lad Matthew is always polite and attentive when serving, in fact it is nice to see him when we arrive in Aberdeen, a friendly face.
Parking can be difficult if something is going on at the exhibition centre next door as I found out returning from visiting a very ill relative. Other than that the hotel is lovely clean and friendly.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
K_Parchimowicz, Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and feedback on your recent stay in our hotel.

I am delighted to learn that you have enjoyed yourself and appreciated our staff effort to make you feel at home. I would also like to thank you for your comment on our WIFI - I appreciate it and will certainly make sure that it is passed on to our GM.

In regards to breakfast menu I would like to assure you that on the very last page of it we have certain items listed which are available on request and porridge is certainly one of them. In terms of any other special requests (for example gluten free diet) we are always happy to help our guests however we encourage them to let us know as soon as they book a room if possible as it allows our kitchen to get stock ready.

Once again thank you for your precious comments.

Kind regards
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Very good location for where I was working during the week.
Room always clean which in some hotels is not always the case.
Standard of food ok but nothing great.
Helpful staff always.
Will return next time but will probably eat elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
K_Parchimowicz, Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel - I am delighted to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you have found both your room as well as our staff services satisfactory. In regards to your comments on our restaurant food I would like to assure you that I have advised our Head Chef as well as FB Manager and I am sure they will act on it - thank you for letting us know.

I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back rather soon and that you will decide to give us another chance and will decide to dine with us.

Many thanks
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at the holiday inn express next door and visited the restaurant here at the main hotel, and to be honest...was a little disappointed. Bang bang chicken to start was bland, very cold and poor, the Yorkshire pudding and dessert was he only thing worth being here for. The menu was that you would find in a basic cafe, the table was laid out like there was no effort and the price of the meal for 2 people was WHOAH!! Over priced to the max!!! I would consider getting in the car and getting better quality from the beefeater down the road!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent experience in our restaurant. I am very dissapointed to read that you have not enjoyed your meal and I would like to apologize for that. I would like to assure you that both F&B Manager and our General Manager were advised and that relevant action will be taken to make sure that situation like that does not happen in future.

With Kind regards