Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in May 2007, slightly nervous after reading reviews here but it was the only hotel that wasn't fully booked. I think this is what they rely on, the desperation of many business travellers and oil workers to get a room, any room. At £150 a night the room was spacious enough but badly in need of refurbishing. Dirty grey net curtains, windows that wouldn't open and no air conditioning so the room was sweltering, a fusty smell when the shower was running (maybe the shower curtain?), iron didn't switch on, one of the glasses in the bathroom had lipstick on it.
Creaky floorboards in the room above wakened me frequently. I started with plenty of towels but used some and on day two was left with a floor mat and one towel. Why do hotels ask you to hang your towels up if you are willing to reuse them and then take them away anyway?
Although there are lifts you may still have to carry your case up a small flight of stairs, ten or so. Not a biggie for most people but be aware.
On to the plus side - the staff. Every single staff member I encountered was friendly and helpful, I couldn't fault them. I've read complaints about the food too but what was available on room service, at least, was great. Everything seemed to be freshly made, eg the pasta sauce was clearly full of fresh vegetables and when something from the menu wasn't available they were able to suggest something similar they could make. £5 charge just to bring it to you though and £8 for a glass of wine seemed steep.
All in all, if they refurbished the hotel itself I think they would be onto a winner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, is perfectly placed for exploring handsome, vibrant Aberdeen, known to the world as the Granite City. Located in the centre of Aberdeen, overlooking Union Terrace Gardens and five-minute walk from the railway station, The Caledonian Hotel is a grand example of the city's distinctive Victorian architecture. It's close to many local attractions, and an excellent base for touring the Highlands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Caledonian, Aberdeen Hotel Aberdeen
- The Hotel Aberdeen
- Caledonian Thistle
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel Scotland