Booked a table in the cafe bar for Saturday lunch with friends. Had problems when booking as receptionist said they were very busy. As it turns out there were only 3 tables booked. And, if they know in advance they are busy, they can rota on extra staff. So, I really didn't understand the issue. Was pleasantly surprised to find they have carpeted the cafe bar. Have been an occassional diner/drinker here for several years, and always found the wooden floor caused any noise to echo round, and it had no atmosphere. Just putting down the carpet has made a big difference (although I'm not sure how easy it is to keep clean). On arrival, drinks delivered swiftly, and food order taken. No issues with starters. When the main courses arrived, there was an issue with one of the dishes. We had asked for a classic burger with 'NO' salad and cheese as an 'EXTRA' topping. When it arrived, the burger was on the plate, with NOTHING. It was sent back and promply returned in a bun, but without cheese. When we queried this with the waiter, he said that the chef refused to put cheese on it as there is NO cheese on a classic burger. We pointed out that we had requested it from the list of optional extra toppings listed on the menu. By this time, our food was going cold. One of our party went and found ketchup and mayo as this was not offered. Neither were we offered any more drinks. Once we had finnished the meal, our table was cleared. We were not asked if we wished coffees or deserts, or another round of drinks. After around 10 mins the duty manager appeared. He had obviously been given a brief outline of what had happened. We would have been happy with a genuine apology, and perhaps some coffees. However, the duty mamager waived our entire food bill for ALL the food, and only charged us for the drinks. We had a tastecard, so the foodbill would have been half the normal rate anyway. So this gesture was totally unexpected, and made us feel a little guilty as 3 of the meals had been fine. However, he pointed out that the 3 diners with good food, would have enjoyed it more if the 4th diner had been happy. Occassionaly problems arise, but it is how the venue deal with them that will dictate whether the customer is happy and will come back. We will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, is perfectly placed for exploring handsome, vibrant Aberdeen, known to the world as the Granite City. Located in the centre of Aberdeen, overlooking Union Terrace Gardens and five-minute walk from the railway station, The Caledonian Hotel is a grand example of the city's distinctive Victorian architecture. It's close to many local attractions, and an excellent base for touring the Highlands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Accorhotels.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Caledonian, Aberdeen Hotel Aberdeen
- The Hotel Aberdeen
- Caledonian Thistle
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel Scotland