“Problem when dining, but handled very well by duty manager”

Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #28 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Booked a table in the cafe bar for Saturday lunch with friends. Had problems when booking as receptionist said they were very busy. As it turns out there were only 3 tables booked. And, if they know in advance they are busy, they can rota on extra staff. So, I really didn't understand the issue. Was pleasantly surprised to find they have carpeted the cafe bar. Have been an occassional diner/drinker here for several years, and always found the wooden floor caused any noise to echo round, and it had no atmosphere. Just putting down the carpet has made a big difference (although I'm not sure how easy it is to keep clean). On arrival, drinks delivered swiftly, and food order taken. No issues with starters. When the main courses arrived, there was an issue with one of the dishes. We had asked for a classic burger with 'NO' salad and cheese as an 'EXTRA' topping. When it arrived, the burger was on the plate, with NOTHING. It was sent back and promply returned in a bun, but without cheese. When we queried this with the waiter, he said that the chef refused to put cheese on it as there is NO cheese on a classic burger. We pointed out that we had requested it from the list of optional extra toppings listed on the menu. By this time, our food was going cold. One of our party went and found ketchup and mayo as this was not offered. Neither were we offered any more drinks. Once we had finnished the meal, our table was cleared. We were not asked if we wished coffees or deserts, or another round of drinks. After around 10 mins the duty manager appeared. He had obviously been given a brief outline of what had happened. We would have been happy with a genuine apology, and perhaps some coffees. However, the duty mamager waived our entire food bill for ALL the food, and only charged us for the drinks. We had a tastecard, so the foodbill would have been half the normal rate anyway. So this gesture was totally unexpected, and made us feel a little guilty as 3 of the meals had been fine. However, he pointed out that the 3 diners with good food, would have enjoyed it more if the 4th diner had been happy. Occassionaly problems arise, but it is how the venue deal with them that will dictate whether the customer is happy and will come back. We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Colin G, Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear MrsS304,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to us.

The Bistro area is certainly a marked impovement on days gone by and I'm glad you too found the changes to be favourable ones.

I am sorry you experienced some issues with your order when dining. I have spoken with the team and this was a genuine misunderstanding.

I was very pleased to read that you accept that mistakes happen and it is how a team resolves the situation that is of highest importance. I am glad that because of the manager on duties actions that you will be back to dine once more.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We booked this as somewhere reasonably priced and central to stay over when visiting relatives.
We were pleasantly surprised on arrival, the accommodation was better than expected and the customer service was excellent. The rooms were a good size and very comfortable. We didn't eat there as we already had plans so cannot comment on the food. We will be travelling to Aberdeen in the future and will likely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank gaylie
Colin G, Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear gaylie,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review.

Its great to hear that the hotel exceeded your expectations and you gave us 5 out of 5 for every aspect of your stay.

I hope you do indeed choose us again on your next visit.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

As part of my Birthday Celebrations I booked an Afternoon Tea Party for my friends. From the initial contact in early March through to the actual event on Saturday 21 June, I cannot fault the arrangements made. The "team" were wonderful and nothing was too much trouble. I had booked for 11 which meant we had to book a separate room and The Diamond Suite was just perfect. We had the room to ourselves from 2-4pm and because no-one else had booked this room after us, we were able to stay on longer which was just as well, as we over-ran!!! We had the "standard" tea, and I arranged for a pre-tea drink for everyone before we had our food which consisted of a good selection of sandwiches, scones and cakes - and was enjoyed very much by everyone. We had great service and I can thoroughly recommend this venue for an afternoon tea party. Many thanks to Chris Plant and his team for making this so special for me - oh yes, and Brian was a STAR!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Dykeside,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent event with us at the hotel.

Our afternoon teas are becoming ever more popular for special occassions such as birthdays, hen parties and even Christenings so its great to hear that Chris, Brian and the team met your needs from the first point of contact.

I have shared your feedback with Brian and Chris who are both delighted.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

I believe that a good portion of what separates a passable hotel and a great hotel are the people working there. While the Thistle Aberdeen is quite a nice hotel, the staff went out of their way for me with check-in and out, and did everything with extreme friendliness and courtesy. The only reason I wouldn't give this hotel a 5 is that it IS a bit loud and creaky, but not in any way that disturbed me too much- it's just the nature of the building, and I think it's as lovely as it can be. However, if you need extreme silence, stay in a modern-built hotel. However, you will be missing out on the charm of a wonderful hotel in a great location with the best staff you could ask for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off of the street, maybe on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank vanilarama

Dear vanilarama,

Wow. What a fantastic review. Thank you so much on behalf of all the team at the hotel.

I am glad that you saw past the ocassional creek in a floor board and took the hotel for the charming 121 year old characterful building that it is, your review really did make for pleasant reading for us all.

The team are as you said what sets the competition apart and we are very lucky to have a great one working with us here.

Thank you once again and kind regards,

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I recently stayed here on a business trip and I cannot fault this hotel.

The room was first class with a comfy bed and great amenities.

The staff were very courteous and friendly.

Had dinner and breakfast at hotel and the food was excellent. Great breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Stayed in suite 418. Great suite.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Annie01Scotland,

Thank you for your 5 star review on your recent visit.

It really was great to see 5 out of 5 for all aspects of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

we made reservations in Thistle, The Caledonian through Late rooms. com and got a wonderful rate for a deluxe room in the Hotel. From the minute we arrived we were treated as vip passangers, what made us feel very well. The ladies in reception were helpful and extremely kind, showing us in the map the best features of the Neighbourhood. Our room was very clean, very nice decorated and full of light. We loved it. The shower was perfect and the pillows were the most confortable we ever experienced. Breakfast was something else. We arrived after 20 days travelling, and thought we had seen it all. But we were mistaken. The customized, "a la carte"breakfast was unique. Not to mention the many items in the buffett. Delicious!!!! We'd like to point out specially the proffessional attention we recieved every morning from Pedro, who made our stay an unforgettable and warm experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear PatoJazz,

Thank you for your very very kind review on your recent stay.

Much like the review previous to yours I am delighted at how you have summed up your stay as the entire team work very hard to delight our guests as they have you. If they could thank you personally for your kind words I am sure they would.

Both Pedro and the kitchen team are delighted with your comments surrounding breakfast.

Pedro is a massive asset to the team and the feedback from guests regarding him is fantastic and its great to hear that our new breakfast offering is going down so well with the guests.

I hope you choose to visit us again soon.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

The choice of Hotels and Guest Houses in Aberdeen is staggering, especially when you are trying to find a suitable hotel for a private visit. I looked at several hotels but selected the Caledonian as it satisfied many of my needs on paper. The Hotel is central, easy access for shopping, easy access to and from the airport and an evenings entertainment is only a short walk, in every direction. Express "check in and out" was smooth, the hotel room was extremely comfortable, well maintained and the cleaning was first class. The staff at all levels where there when you needed them and at a discreet distance, when not needed. My stay was thoroughly enjoyable, relaxing and provided myself with an ideal location overall for my stay in Aberdeen.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side of the hotel enjoy the morning sunshine and are also very quiet in the evenin...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Dear Philip James C,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review.

I dont think if I were to write a review myself I could have summed up the ethos of our hotel as well as you have. A great reflection on the hard work the team puts in day to day to try and provide the best for our guests.

We hope to have 'The Viking' back again soon.