Booked a deluxe room at this hotel for a weekend during the start of the world cup 2014.
Here is my list of pros and cons about our experience.
Reception staff very nice and helpful mostly.
Deluxe room is very large. Room itself is finished to a high standard.
Bathroom also very nice, high standard.
Breakfast is excellent. Basically eat as much as you like for £10 with varied choices available.
Room was hot. Couldn't open window wider (understandably due to security reasons)
Noise from city centre if room is open is fairly loud.
Pay for a deluxe room but the facilities of the room are exactly as you would get in a 3 star hotel. Nothing extra that i can see.
TV wasnt working properly...all channels were very grainy and low visual quality. I phoned reception about it. They said they would have a word with the manager. I waited 45 minutes no call back so went down stairs. Met the manager and was told that all the TVs in the hotel were affected. Bear in mind this is at the start of the Football World Cup 2014. He told me that it would be fixed by Sunday (my day of departure) and it was. But too late for me. No apology offered.
Transiting to and from your Room using the lift is a tad cumbersome if it is even a little busy. The lift is very small and the location of the lift is in a cramped area.
Waiting staff at the breakfast area not as efficient as the staff at reception e.g. if i had cornflakes and finished i would then get up to get some toast or something else. On the first day of breakfast waiting staff removed my used plate. On the second day of breakfast they did not so i had to leave my plate at the bar. A minor point yes but when you are paying premium for the breakfast experience then any minor point is noticeable.
And that is the entire point of the review. The hotel to me felt like a 3 star hotel with 4 star breakfast (not the breakfast waiting staff) and 4 star prices. Location in the city is good but there are plenty of hotels within city centre walking distance that are cheaper and offer the same facilities as you will receive here. If i pay a bit more i do expect to see that reflected in what i get. If you are looking to book this hotel please note that a good 3 star does everything the same (except breakfast maybe but that costs extra anyway..and its not included in the price). I would not advise booking this hotel. Just for me...what is offered at the price you pay is not equitable for a 4 star hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, is perfectly placed for exploring handsome, vibrant Aberdeen, known to the world as the Granite City. Located in the centre of Aberdeen, overlooking Union Terrace Gardens and five-minute walk from the railway station, The Caledonian Hotel is a grand example of the city's distinctive Victorian architecture. It's close to many local attractions, and an excellent base for touring the Highlands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, ACCOR, Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Caledonian, Aberdeen Hotel Aberdeen
- The Hotel Aberdeen
- Caledonian Thistle
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel Scotland