“Great Hotel For A Wedding”

Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel For A Wedding”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My hubby and I had the pleasure of getting married in this hotel last week. Its a stunning venue with great staff. All the food that we had was fantastic. There was a few hiccups that were outwith the hotels control but they made sure our day was perfect. Colin Gunn and the events staff done a great job with helping us organise the whole wedding and we both felt very safe in their capable hands.

We really couldn't have asked for more from a wedding venue, and would highly recommend this hotel to any couple looking to get married (the staircase makes for great pictures) or anyone planning any event.

Most of our guest stayed the night in the hotel and everyone commented on how lovely and big the rooms were and the rate for the room for the night which included a great breakfast after a night of dancing.

Thanks again to all the staff at The Caledonian. You all helped to make our day special

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
JaneBourque, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Rebecca M,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your wedding in December.

Its great to hear that Colin and the team made it such a success, I know that he and the team all had a fun day working it. We may be a small property but we have a team with years of experience so Im glad the experience showed.

Dont be strangers, we would all love to see how well the pictures on our lovely staircase turned out.

Thanks and Kind Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We visited here on Saturday to partake in the Afternoon Tea and were so delighted I felt I had to write a review. The food was fantastic and the staff were very helpful and accommodating. With the hustle bustle of Aberdeen nightlife at this time of year it was fantastic to have somewhere with such a nice atmosphere and delicious cocktails in the city centre. I would also like to give special mention to the cinnamon scones with Clotted cream and jam - they were divine! Definitely a High Tea I will be indulging in again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

I was in Aberdeen for a night out with some friends who live there. Booked this hotel a few months before the trip and got a good deal.

On arriving, the staff were helpful and friendly.

Unfortunately, our room looked out onto a heating duct, the hotel decor was quite tired looking, it could do with a lick of paint, and we had a problem with our shower which meant it was VERY hot, scalding in fact.
I had to use a shower in a different room and have a bath the following morning.

The TV also didn't work.

On the plus side, the staff were quick to try to rectify the situation and hotel is one of the most central in Aberdeen (minutes walk from some of the shopping centres and theatre).

I just think that if I were to be paying the full price Thistle advertise, I'd be very upset. Really not up to the standard they seem to project.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Chichester
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I’ve just had the great pleasure of staying at The Caledonian and although I don’t usually bother much with write-ups, I felt I had to put on record just how good this hotel is. I needed to run a one-day training course and it had to be in Aberdeen – a city I didn’t previously know. I chose The Caledonian as it was very central and looked to have the facilities I needed.

From the moment I arrived I knew I’d made the right decision. It’s a delightful classic hotel from the great Edwardian days which preserves its classic features, such as the magnificent carved mahogany staircase, but has been brought bang up to date in terms of décor and facilities.

My two-day stay was a delight from beginning to end but I must single out two things. First, the staff are incredibly professional and attentive – nothing was too much trouble and every request was attended to immediately. Second, the food is fabulous. The breakfasts are delicious and for dinner I had the best fillet steak I’ve ever tasted, cooked to perfection.

Nicest of all is the air of quite calm and professionalism and the fact that everything worked like clockwork. I was naturally slightly nervous about organising a training course by remote control in a town and hotel I didn’t know, but it all went off perfectly and that was at least partly due to a first rate venue.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Two night stay - very pleased with level of service. Wifi was good coverage and fast speed. Meals were well presented, hot and a good variety to choose from. Room was fine, good modern bathroom. Excellent house keeping service. Good night's sleep and very quiet room. Front desk very helpful in booking taxis and making travel arrangements etc. Location is ideal for city centre breaks.

Only downsides were lack of view (or sunlight) from the hotel window - just looked straight into someone elses room, so kept curtains closed to maintain a bit of privacy. Also, room was a little chilly at times so had to put on an extra layer.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Lerwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013

really enjoyed my stay here the reception staff were friendly and helpful and was a marvelous location for christmas shopping, very central. thr room was lovely, clean and comfortable, plenty of tea and coffee, arrived a bit early and asked if i could leave my luggage, and was given my room key, the bathroom was clean, comfortable and warm. all in all i thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and would certainly want to return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

This is my second stay at the Caledonia, and again I had a very good stay.
Initially I was allocated a room that was in the middle of the corridor, making it a bit noisy (and I had work to do). I returned to reception and was offered a different room. The reception person was extremely good about it, asking me to check and only change if I wanted - this was the only room available, and was a bit smaller. In my mind it was perfect. Far from others, and for one person, the size was great.
The room also had many sockets, good mirrors (often things that are lacking), a great bed, and lovely shower - perfect.
Room service was piping hot, and breakfast in the restaurant was a good standard too.
If I was to say anything, I would like to see a vegetarian breakfast on offer, and if really picky - Earl Grey tea in the rooms.
All in all, a great place for a business trip, but I'd use for a weekend break too.

• Stayed November 2013