There's an old saying that says 'you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter' and that's kind of how this hotel is. It has an air of long faded grandeur and although my bathroom had new, good quality fittings and there were some artsy pictures on the wall of my very small room, you still kind of get the sense that the entire place is very slowly falling apart.
For all of the above though, the hotel is in a great location in the centre of the city and without exception, the staff, were cheerful, friendly and unfailingly helpful.
I think that if I'd paid £80 or at a push, £90 a night for my room, I would probably have been pretty well satisfied with what I got for my money. As it was, my room cost £140 per night and for THAT money, my expectations were way in excess of what I actually got.
In conclusion, this is not a terrible hotel by any means, but it simply isn't worth the price that they're charging.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, is perfectly placed for exploring handsome, vibrant Aberdeen, known to the world as the Granite City. Located in the centre of Aberdeen, overlooking Union Terrace Gardens and five-minute walk from the railway station, The Caledonian Hotel is a grand example of the city's distinctive Victorian architecture. It's close to many local attractions, and an excellent base for touring the Highlands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com and ACCOR so you can book your Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Caledonian, Aberdeen Hotel Aberdeen
- The Hotel Aberdeen
- Caledonian Thistle
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel Scotland