“Great hotel, great staff but not a 4 star.”

Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here for business and had been given a twin room.

The room was nicely decorated and had the ususal amenities but I had to call down for a robe as there was not one provided in my room. I was told that house keeping was closed but they would check. To be fair about half an hour later they knocked with a robe. It's a minor point but that's one of the things that make a four star hotel, robe and slippers which it states are included in your room on the website.

The bed wasn't very comfortable and the mattress was fairly lumpy. Luckily I could sleep on one made twin bed (for extra padding) and used the bed linen from the other bed.
The bathroom was very clean and a great shower. The usual toiletries were supplied.

It was quite a noisy room (single glazing on the window), I could hear the people / traffic on the street below and also the guests talking / watching telly next door.
The rate did not include breakfast which I think should be included considering the price for a mid week night (£119).
The hotel was centrally located and had a nice view from the window overlooking the park and church.
The staff on reception were very friendly and very helpful. I didn't try the bar so can not comment, but it looked inviting and a good choice of optics.
Overall I had a pleasent experience but I I would have rated this as very good but for the lack of sleep quality.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the park although a good view, I found it noisy with the road..
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear Shezza42

Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen. I am sorry to hear that you did not have the best of stays. I shall action all of your points above and the bed comfort is something I shall really look into. We here at the Caledonian have a great but old building and sadly the single glazing is one of the things we are not allowed to upgrade, I do appreciate that some noise can be heard and we are constantly looking at ways to reduce this. At current during the week Aberdeen competes with London for Room prices, I hope that in the near future you shall return to ourselves and we can restore your faith in the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen

There are newer reviews for Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I cannot fault anything about this Hotel .We booked it after a late show at His Majesty's theatre. The staff were so friendly and would actually engage in your conversation rather than the usual , 'Hello , had a nice day' routine . Even though our room overlooked union terrace gardens , their was no noise we had a good night sleep and the room was spotless , and the hotels facilities was great . Breakfast was really nice , outstanding actually and I must say this is probably the best hotel in the region in which I have stayed !

Room Tip: No need for tips , rooms are perfect .
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Katiana906
Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen. I hope that you enjoyed your visit to His Majesty’s. Great to hear that the team were helpful and engaging. Good to see that you enjoyed your room the view over Union Terrace Gardens it is brilliant when the sun is out. Our Breakfast is something we as a team have worked hard to better and its great to hear that what we have done is “really nice, outstanding actually” I really hope that we see you in the near future.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Overall our stay at the Thistle was perfect, I cannot complain about anything.
I had emailed them a few weeks previous to advise my partner has Arthritis and would require a walk in shower and also to find out if they had disabled parking. The hotel kept in contact with me and advised we could have a room with a walk in shower and they would keep a disabled space for us to insure we wouldnt have to park far away from the hotel and walk.
When we arrived we got out space straight away and were very please to see the car park was meters away from the back entrance to the hotel and also was meters from Union Street so it was perfect for us.
We were checked in very quickly and were given room 119. When we arrived at our room we were excited to see it was the Balmoral suite and when we went in we were not disappointed. The room was massive with high ceilings, a sofa and large windows looking onto Union terrace gardens. The bathroom had a walk in shower as well as a bath with a shower which was exactly what we needed. The bed was huge and nice and firm.
Within 10 minutes of checking in the door went and it was a waiter bringing us champagne and fruit as they had taken note that the trip was for our anniversary. This was amazing and such a surprise.
I am someone who checks if a hotel has WiFi as soon as I book it as I like to connect up my ipad but luckily this hotel uses BT and as a BT customer we have free access to all BT Hotspots so we connected up straight away which was great.
We never stayed in the hotel for dinner as we already had plans but did look over the menu which looked good and also we never had breakfast which we kind of regretted not booking.
Check out was at 12 which is good as some hotels have an 11am check out. We got checked out quickly even though it was busy.
We have stayed in Aberdeen quite a few times in the last few months and we have now decided that all future stays will have to be at this hotel, it had everything we need, amazing rooms, free parking, great central location and friendly staff.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front of the building appear to be the newer rooms and are more modern with a bette...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear 19megs89
Thank you for taking the time to review the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay, its even better to hear that you will be returning to us and hopefully soon. I am glad that the hotel met and surpassed your expectations. We here at the Caledonian are very lucky to have a beautiful old building which is celebrating its 120 years as a hotel, in an amazing location with newly refurbished rooms and most of these allow guest to take in the beautiful view over Aberdeen. The Balmoral Suite is a great room with great facilities within it to aid our guests, on this occasion we had in fact upgraded you to this suite in particular to meet your needs as it has a huge wet room. However our deluxe rooms are to a very similar standard and most have low stepped walk in showers and enjoy a similar view from the hotel.

Glad to see that the team and duty manager that day picked up on the fact it was your anniversary and from the rest of us here at the Caledonian Congratulations. From myself and all the team we look forward to seeing you soon.

Guest relations Manager

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel is nicely presented - The rooms I have stayed in on three visits are to a very high standard. The full breakfast is of a very good quality. Mostly, the staff are are helpful and friendly. Unfortunately on my last visit the receptionist seemed to want to get rid of me quickly although I think this was because she was dealing with another customer with some complex issues. The lift is very slow but I think that reflects the stateliness of the building so it's not a negative for me. Is that the voice of Peter Sallis in the lift by the way? The only down side on my last visit was being woken at 3.15 am by A PAIR OF THOUGHTLESS IDIOTS WHO WERE TALKING IN VERY LOUD VOICES IN THE CORRIDOR and I was wearing earplugs as a standard precaution.

Room Tip: All of the three rooms I have occupied so far have been quiet with the exception of what is mentione...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear Paul E
Thank you for taking the time to review the Caledonian Thistle Hotel, Great to hear that you like our rooms here and are a loyal guest. Good to hear you enjoyed our breakfast as its something we have worked to improve. I apologise for the noise in the corridor and it is actually something we are currently looking into but due to the age of the building there are a few barriers. I am unsure about the voice in the lift but now that you have mentioned it, it sounds very much like him I shall do some digging and find out. You now have all the staff believing Wallace from Wallace and gromit is in the lift.

Look forward to seeing you when you return

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I would like to thank you for a lovely afternoon tea that me and my husband enjoyed on Friday night.

I treated my husband as I was going to "another hotel" for afternoon tea with my friends for a special occasion the following day and he was feeling a little bit jealous.

Unfortunately we had a very bad experience with the other hotel due to very poor customer service (including them not providing dietary requirements that had been confirmed with them twice prior to the visit).

This experience highlighted what a lovely time me and my husband had on Friday and how lovely your staff were (I think the waitress was called Megan) and another female member of staff (maybe management as she had on a suit) came and spoke to us and they were both very pleasant and genuine.

Bad service seems to provoke a reaction from people but unfortunately good service goes unrecognised but I wanted to redress this balance.

Thanks again

A very happy customer and will definitely be back

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear MerleColins
Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen. Its great to get any feedback on what we are doing here at the Caledonian and your feedback is the best kind.

We as a team have worked hard on our Afternoon Tea and Bryan Murray our Senior Sous Chef spent some time at Royal Horseguards in London training to perfect our Afternoon Tea and its always a continuous process to better it. This year is the Caledonian’s 120th year as a hotel and Afternoon tea is defiantly the best way to celebrate this. I shall pass on your great comments to Megan and I believe it was Paulina Okon who was the duty manager that day, we here at the Caledonian look forward to having you return. See you soon.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I, along with our 7week old daughter and 18month old son, have just stayed at The Caledonian this weekend to celebrate my 40th birthday.
I had done a lot of research on other hotels in the city and decided on The Caledonian following a recommendation from a friend tat lives in Aberdeen.
As it was my birthday we booked Room 418, The Wallace Suite. Fantastic! There is a small flight of stairs from the lift to get to the 4th floor, which was a little annoying when we had the pram, but bearing in mind the age of the building it was absolutely trivial in the grander scheme of things.
The views from the room surely cannot be surpassed anywhere else in Aberdeen and we were greeted with complimentary fruit and chocolates as it was my birthday.
The Reception staff could not have been anymore helpful and as our return flight home was in the evening they allowed us to store our shopping in their luggage store after checking out on our last day.
Full English Breakfast was perfect, no problem at all with the hot water(unlike other reviewers), hotel decor was perfect and the location is undoubtedly the best for city centre shopping with no external noise at all.
This is now our Aberdeen residence and we can't wait to go back !!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MerleCollins

Dear MerleColins
Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen. Great to hear you enjoyed you stay here with us and its great that you celebrated your birthday here, I hope you and your family had a lovely time. The Wallace suite is a fantastic room and like you said the views are amazing.

Thank you for the photos that you have taken as they are great. The team and I look forward to having you and your family back here at the Caledonian, maybe next time you wont need an excuse to come visit.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was our third stay at this hotel will deffo be back :) lovely hotel with excellent service from all the staff.The staff are brilliant at this hotel and go out of their way to make sure you are happy with everything.We stayed for two nights as it was my hubbys birthday,I called in advance and requested room 118 as we love this room,delighted to get it on arrival.Unfortunatley there was a problem with the door not locking,we had to leave them dealing with it to go to Emeli Sande concert.We were not happy with our change of room,but the next day we got moved to a suite and got a free drink and breakfast, which was lovely :) Brilliant staff and hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear Maureen S

Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen, Its great to read you enjoyed your stay, I hope you enjoyed the Emeli Sande Concert and your suite. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Caledonian in the near future.