“Thanks again Calley!”

Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
“Thanks again Calley!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Just had another amazing night at the Caledonian! This place is the best location in Aberdeen. We normally have a night out in Aberdeen every 6 - 8 weeks and have chosen to stay here for the past 10 years normally in a suite. This time we booked a deluxe double and were upgraded to a suite. The rooms are great and the hotel is right in the centre of Aberdeen. We have always found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. We haven't eaten in the restaurant in the evening but have heard good reviews. Breakfast is excellent!

Thanks again Calley and see you next month!

Room Tip: Deluxe double and suites at front have great views of the terrace gardens. Terrace suite is lovely.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hazels123
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Hazels123
Thanks for your great review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen, it’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Caledonian and return to us each month. As you know our location and historic property are our main selling points as well as being the oldest hotel in Aberdeen. Thank you again for the review, myself and all the team here at the “Caley” look forward to seeing you next month.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Turriff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a fantastic night in this hotel. I booked a suite because it was our anniversary and wasn't disappointed! We arrived back to our room to find two glasses of sparkling wine and fruit and chocolates which was a lovely surprise. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The staff were really friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan L
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Susan L
Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle, Aberdeen. I am Glad you enjoyed your suite and hopefully the recent weather did not spoil the beautiful city view from your bedroom. I hope you enjoyed your anniversary stay and that the prosecco and fruit made it that little bit better. Hopefully we will see you again in a year’s time if not sooner.

Guest Relations manager
Arbroath, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A fantastic 2 night stay in the centre of aberdeen up for friends 50th, I booked this through last minute.com and got a great price for the 4 of us for the 2 nights, everyone very friendly and always there to help. We were given a drink on the house for our friends birthday, we never ate bit expensive but had a few drinks. Couldn't fault our rooms everything was there that we needed.
Fantastic place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lorna K
Thank you for you review on the Caledonian Thistle, Aberdeen. Its great to read that you enjoyed your stay here at the Caledonian I hope your friends did as well, I am glad to see you got a drink on the house for your friends birthday and from all of us here at the Caledonian “happy Birthday”. Hopefully you will return to us soon and we look forward to your return.

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Chose this 4 star hotel because of it's rating, and central location - 10 minutes walk from Railway Station and shopping centre. Entrance steps were filthy, inside reception area was pleasant with helpful, polite staff. Allocated a very small, back bedroom on the first floor overlooking a noisy, narrow cobbled lane. Bed was comfy and clean. Discovered in the morning that the shower did not work. The trickle of water was SCALDING and dangerous, so no morning shower. Had a wash standing in the bath filling a cup from the sink with warm water - not good! On reporting the situation to Receptionist we were upgraded to a Suite which was very nice, but the lack of basic facilities on our first night had spoilt our stay.

The large lounge bar, very quiet in the evening, doubled as the breakfast room. The quality of the Breakfast was disappointing, and some crockery had to be replaced with clean ones. All staff were polite and friendly, but unfortunately I could not recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room with a view. Ask staff to confirm that all facilities in the room (Heating...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kate
Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle, Aberdeen. I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and the issues that you have brought up I shall address personally, and I apologise. I am glad to see that you were upgraded and that the team were good during you stay. I would like to talk to you personally about your stay, My email address is conor.summersgill@thistle.co.uk I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards
Guest Relations
aberdeen
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I am a hhonors diamond member and so usually only use hiltons. I got a cheap rate off last minute.com for good friday and so thought I would give a go. The duty manager and receptionist were so friendly and made the hotel. They upgraded me to a nice room which I did not expect. The night manager was less friendly as wanted to use the Internet for 5 minutes and took a while for him to reluctantly give me a code but he did- I understand they charge but for 5 minutes. In any case, I would stay here again and the Friday night staff were excellent. Also hotel is next to shops and bars.

• Stayed March 2013
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Bikevail09

Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen. I am happy to see you enjoyed your recent stay with ourselves and that you shall be returning. I shall also pass on your comments to Lindsay Aitchison who was the duty manager that day and the staff that were here on the Friday night, its always great to get good staff feedback. I shall look into the Wifi issue as that should not have happened and I apologise. I hope to see you in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I recently stayed for a few nights in March & was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was beautiful, an old building but in great condition & very well looked after.

The room which I stayed in (109) was lovely, a great size, large comfy bed & everything was in great condition. The room was also cleaned to a high standard & was cleaned thoroughly every day. The staff overall were great, very pleasant & always there to help.There was some noise from the street outside in the early hours each day, but I know this isn't your fault.

The only other issue I had was with breakfast service, the staff seemed overstretched & had no time to serve people properly & I had to wait longer than I expected to for my cooked breakfast. However, I will definitely stay when I'm in the city centre again in the near future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FrancesL431
Dear FrancesL431

Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with ourselves and shall be returning which is brilliant, with regards to the breakfast service we have just decided to increase the amount of waiting staff, which should resolve the issue that you came across. I hope to see you in the near future and once again thank you for your great feedback.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Having stayed in a few Hotels in Aberdeen over the past 12 months I was fully expecting the Caledonian to be much the same as the others, i.e overpriced, unfriendly and a lack of well trained staff however, on my arrival I was greeted by name by a Polish ? lady called Edyta who had me checked in with explainations about everything I needed to know within 5 minutes despite a guest shouting at her about a Taxi that was late. A few members of staff passed me before the lift (very slowly) came down to the lobby all with a smile and a 'good morning' or 'hello'. The room I was allocated (119) was exceptional, high ceilings, walk in shower, very large bed with excellent views over union terrace gardens. It was clean and decorated to a very high standard with tea/coffee, hair dryer, iron , a safe, a cooler and a flat screen tv. The bed was very comfortable, bath towels all looked new as did everything within the Hotel. Breakfast was absolutely delicious with a wide range of continental and cooked food available. Just before my Taxi arrived (on time) I informed the Receptionist that my sink was draining rather slow and could she get someone to have a look at it. She immediately passed my message on to the Maintenance Manager (Ian) who said he would 'look at it right away'. On my return, sure enough, sink was draining normally with a card to say that it had been attended to. I dined at the Hotel that night and have to say the food was excellent and the service second to none, Megan in particular was fantastic with all the guest and a credit to the Hotel as were all the staff I have mentioned by name and many others I bumped into during my stay. If I had one critisism it would be the noise from across the gardens that came from a club ? but, once asleep I didnt wake until my alarm went off. My compliments to the the Manager on the profesionalism of the staff, they are a credit to the Hotel and the industry. I will definately be staying there again as it was 'a bit of the unexpected' from a city centre Hotel. If I had one critisism it would be

Room Tip: 119 is a great room, very large, overlooking union terrace gardens.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank J B
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear J B

Thank you for you recent review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen, we are so glad you had a great stay with ourselves and your review made for great reading as hearing guest remember individual staff names from their stay is great and I shall make sure that Edyta, Ian, Megan and all the team are aware of you review. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay and I shall make sure that we do are up most to get you back into room 119.