“Central Aberdeen Hote”

Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #28 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed one night. Conveniently located in the centre of the city. Room was quite large and well furnished. Comfortable bed. Small bathroom. Small TV.
Bar was modern but very functional, it is used for breakfast and dinner. Polished floors do not help.
Reception area very small.
Staff young but very helpful.
Overall a functional hotel in a nice spot. Nothing spectacular

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Good location and friendly staff. The room I was in on the 4th floor was an adequate size although smaller than I expected. Bathroom door only opens so far so you have to go right in and close the door to get to the bath. The hotel is being refurbished and there is scaffolding outside the window. The scaffolding has boards across it so very little natural light gets in the room. Bed was comfortable. Nice sized flatscreen TV but remote didn't work. I handed it in at reception hoping that by the next day it would have new batteries and put back in the room but that didn't happen. I had to leave for work too early to have breakfast so can't comment on that.

Room Tip: Might be best waiting until the refurb has been done or choose a room without scaffolding outside th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Hotel has an excellent location and you can enjoy the nightlife within walking distance. The hotel also offers free parking but I suggest you arrive early as parking is fairly limited. The rooms are clean and the service efficient. The bar also offers a good meal.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with friends for a couple of nights & had a lovely time. We were in room 232 which had no view but the room itself was large, modern and comfortable, with all the amenities you could wish for. There's a slight slope to the room, but it's an old building and this is just an observation not a complaint. The bar & waiting staff were great too. The location is just off the main shopping street in Aberdeen, and a perfect spot close to many bars & restaurants. The parking is limited, and I think it's first come first served. All in, we'd definitely go back!

• Stayed: September 2012
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for spending the time to leave a review. I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable weekend with us and will pass the kind comments on to the team.

Our car park is indeed first come first served and we are one of the only hotels within the city centre to offer free car parking to our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Myself and a friend went to the Caledonian Hotel for Afternoon Tea and it was a real treat. The staff were very attentive and pleasant and we had a nice table close to the window. It was a Monday afternoon we went and we were virtually the only people in the room but that was fine. The deal included a cocktail (which I had forgotten about) and was a nice surprise and you were able to choose anything from the cocktail menu. The Afternoon Tea came with the usual sandwiches, scones/cream/jam, cakes and tea or coffee. All were lovely and appeared home made and plentiful - we could't eat everything! Crockery used was quaint and added to the All in all I would recommend this to anyone and being in the centre of town would be ideal for a girls treat after shopping all morning!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank LittleHoglet
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind comments on our recently introduced afternoon tea. Our Sous chef Bryan Murray created the afternoon tea as part of our 120 year celebrations this year. To keep in with what we think is the ideal afternoon tea we have worked closely with Candy Belle Vintique to create an authentic vintage feel with all our crockery. Our Terrace suite is the perfect place to relax after a day's shopping and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Good lord, this is the 21st century. The tiny bed and breakfast I just left had no lift and a four floor walk up to the lobby - they had free wifi. I thought this one did too when I booked (it was one of my filters). Expensive pay wifi doesn't qualify and should not be listed so that filters fool people into booking thinking they will have access without a huge expense (£20 for 2 days) Lesson: email ahead to check if wifi is provided. (Today wifi is like clean towels: if a hotel doesn't get it right, there will be no return.)

The cupboard door was not well thought out. You had to move the chair because the door opens on the wrong side.

I think the tv remote needs a new set of batteries.

An observation: The view was a scaffolding. I understand buildings need work. Room 407 has an industrial view of rooftops. It would bother others. It is not a big issue for me.

Now that the bad has been said, let's get to the good. Nicely appointed bathroom. The room is a single so it is perfect for a solo traveler. I liked the honey-colored wood furniture and the warm colors (maroons). Plenty of plug ins above the desk for phones etc. (that 21st century thing again). A robe and slippers, an iron and ironing board with a bag for laundry services are cozy little touches.

Overall a nice room. It just needs wifi access.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for spending the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Thistle Hotels do not offer complimentary wifi, however we have introduced our new Signature loyalty scheme that does offer complimentary login time, dependent on the level of membership they have attained and qualifying points that are earned from the day of application. With reference to the scaffolding we are currently undergoing some improvements to our hotel and scaffolding is erected to the rear of the property. We have agreed hours of work with all contractors to ensure disruption is kept to a minimum. Our aim is to complete the renovations in January 2013 these works are a commitment to continual improvement in our service and hotel offering. I am glad to hear that your approved of your room and the recent refurbishment.
I hope to welcome you to Aberdeen in the future and if you would like me to send you some details on the Signature Loyalty programme please do not hesitate to ask.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Booked this hotel for a girls night out in Aberdeen, it was perfect. Great location, very stylish well proportioned rooms, looking out on to union terrace gardens. Stair case had just been painted and was all very fresh. Most of staff very friendly and helpful. When checking in we were supposed to have had champagne, this was missing, but a quick phone call and a while later this arrived. A lovely Buffett breakfast in the morning, just what you need after a good night out! Only thing, the 2nd towel for bathroom was hidden in the top cupboard! Maybe in the bathroom would be more appropriate!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for spending the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear you have a great stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that we did not have your champagne ready for you but am delighted to hear that our team saw to this request immediately. I will pass your kind comments to my team. I look forward to welcoming you in the near future,