“Business stay in Caledonian Thistle”

Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #16 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Houston, Texas
“Business stay in Caledonian Thistle”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed her for 8 nights. My company chose and paid for my room. The room was small, not a lot of room in one wardrobe with an iron board stuffed in there also! Shower cubicle was also small. The staff were very helpful and pleasant at all times. Wi-Fi was expensive, evening meals were very good, breakfast was also very good except for the scramble egg (came soggy with water on the plate), and I personally thought wine by the glass was too expensive. Overall stay I would say was good though, thanks to all the very helpful staff.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank pottyok
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear the team were helpful throughout your stay and I will pass on your kind comments. With reference to the WIFI charges Thistle Hotels do not currently offer complimentary Wi-Fi to every guest, our new Signature loyalty scheme does offer regular guests complimentary login time, dependent on the level of membership they have attained with qualifying points earned from the day of application.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back the Caledonian in the near future
Jane Bourque

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The location is great. 100 meters from Union street, near shopping centers and the harbour.

The room in which I stayed was extremely small. As you open the door, you can see a 2,5-3 meters long room with a TV o the left and before it a tiny 1 person bed, a small tall closet on the right and a masive desk right next. Is you're staying for more than 1-2 days you won't have any room to place you troller. I stayed there for 2 weeks and in the not even 1 meter between the bed and the desk I had to leave my troller, cause it wouldn't fit in the closet.

On the right of the door you can find the bathroom in which you barely have enough room to brush your teeth, no way of moving in there.

Also, the windows did not open: there was no handle to do it.

The cleaning was ok. Still, didn't appreciate the call that I received from the cleaning lady while having a "do not disturb" on the door handle. She called to ask if she could clean the room today. That I found extremely rude.

There is no pool or gym and the wifi is innexistent. You have to pay separately for it and the only option is BT Open Zone who is just rubish.

Long story short I would say it is way to expensive for the type of services offered. I won't be staying there any time soon.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel or ask for a room to the street side.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for spending the time to review our hotel. It is however disappointing to hear of you experience with us. I am not sure what room you are referring to so cannot comment regarding the size. We do have a number of single rooms in our property that offer excellent value to guests wanting to stay in the heart of the city and I am assuming this is the room type you are referring to. At the Caledonian we have a variety of room choices to suit all guests with a range of rates which are competitive within the Aberdeen market.
I have spoken with our housekeeping department regarding your comments and can assure you that this has been rectified and I apologise for the inconvenience this caused.
Whilst we are privileged to have such a historic building dating back to the 1800's this does come with a number of challenges as we are a listed building and in a conservation area. That being said a good night's sleep for our guests is paramount and we are currently undergoing some repairs to the rear elevation to the hotel and that includes replacing all the rear windows which is due to be completed within the next 3 months.
I would welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again I have sent you a separate email to your trip advisor account with my direct contact details on should you wish to discuss this further.
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2012

After travelling back and forward to Aberdeen for the best part of 20 years I can't believe that this was the first time I'd ever stopped at the Caledonian (now a Thistle hotel). I was there for just one night. Location is excellent - only yards from Union Street (the main street in Aberdeen). It's one of the older hotels in the city, but that is a plus point as it gives the place a real character - from the mosaic outside the front door, the steps up to the hotel and the wrought ironwork that spells out the hotel name on the entrance canopy. Reception is more up to date and the staff there were really friendly an helpful. Breakfast was very good and, again, the staff were really pleasant. I can't comment on the quality of the food in the evening as I was meeting friends, in town, for a meal. So far, so good. Unfortunately, even though my room (301), and en-suite shower-room, was very clean and the bed was very comfortable, the size was a major disappointment. The room only contained a single bed but this had to be pushed up against the wall to allow me to get out at the other side. Whilst the inclusion of an ironing board (stored in the very small wardrobe) would have been a bonus it was not possible to use it as there wasn't enough space. I considered moving the ironing board out of the room, and into the corridor, but the power lead wasn't long enough. So, in conclusion, I liked the hotel, and yes, I would go back there but I would make sure that I was given a room of at least reasonable sized proportions. For the one night I was there it wasn't worth complaining about, but I wouldn't have stayed in that particular room for more than that.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 301 and check the size of whichever room you are given as I know that other ro...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay. We are indeed the oldest hotel in Aberdeen and will be celebrating our 120 year anniversary in October of this year. It is great to hear the positive comments regarding our team and I will ensure this is shared with all.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kippen, Stirling
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We recently had an overnight stay due to our daughter's graduation ceremony. From the friendly welcome, the very tasteful and comfortable accomodation, to the excellent breakfast and snacks; this excellent hospitality just added to what was a very special time for us!
I have already recommended this hotel to friends who intend to visit later in the year.

Room Tip: Rooms 113 and 115 - very tasteful and comfortable
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us on this special occasion.
I am very proud of the team we have here and I appreciate your kind words and will ensure this is passed on at our weekly meetings that are held to discuss our guest feedback.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Caledonian on your next visit.
fife
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Just back from 2 days in this hotel . We found it to be first class from the breakfast in the morning to snacks at night. One of our party was given the Wallace suite and it was really a lovely surprise for them .The staff were friendly and thoughtful and couldnt do enough for you . We will certainly go back .

1 Thank water1ce19
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Water1ce 19

Thank you for taking the time to respond to us. It is great to hear your positive comments and I will pass these over to the team. Graduation has been a busy period for us and it has been a great experience for us to be a small part in everyone's celebrations.

Lerwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This was my first time ever of staying in a 4 star hotel (I got a wonderful deal), and I had a fantastic stay at the Caledonian Thistle in Aberdeen. It was perfectly situated for getting to the places I needed to go either by walking or catching a bus, lovely decor, and friendly staff (one was particularly sweet when I was explaining how my 4 year old and I were going to Disney Magic Show...she wanted to come along too).

I stayed in a standard twin room with my daughter, which was an ample size for our needs. It was a lovely surprise to see that the hotel had kindly provided colouring books, crayons, puzzle books, modelling clay kit, etc for my daughter.

The beds were so comfy, we both fell asleep in no time; with our room being situated towards the back of the hotel, we slept right through the night without any disturbance from traffic or nearby pubs. Plus, as someone who suffers from back problems, I found the mattress to be perfect and woke up with no aches :)

The room's amenities were great...TV, 2 phones, iron & ironing board, hairdryer, slippers, dressing gowns, chocolates, hot drink facilities, bottles of water, miniatures in the bathroom; all you need to take is clothes, toothpaste and toothbrush as everything else was provided. Must add that my daughter loved the big, deep bath; it was a struggle to get her out of it. In the end, I had to coax her out by saying we were superheroes on a mission to get rowies for her Uncle, and remind her we were going to Codona's.

I wouldn't normally stay in a 4 star hotel, as with my budget I can't afford it and go for cheaper accommodation like Travelodge instead. But, as I mentioned earlier I got a great deal and I'm glad I took it. I would happily treat my daughter and I for a stay here again.

Edinburgh
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I am currently staying in this hotel on business on week one of what should be three weeks here along with my colleague who is also at this hotel (I might well look for somewhere else for weeks two & three though).
I am in a small room to the back of the hotel (room 108) with old fashioned wooden furniture, there is no view at all due to the ripple glass window pane & hardly enough drawer space to place my clothes, The photos in Andrea from Romania's post below pretty much reflects how my room looks as well.
I have actually stayed here before & the last time I stayed here I was initially placed in an equally poor room, it was winter then and incredibly there was no heating in my room. When I complained about that I was moved to a much nicer room to the front of the building.
Based on that second room I decided I would return to this hotel during my current business trip and I asked for a room to the front of the hotel when I checked in.
It was explained to me that it would not be possible to give me a similar room to the front as I had before as these are apparently classed as de-luxe rooms and come at extra cost. I guess I must have had a free upgrade last time because of the lack of any heating in my room !
The de-luxe room I had before was pretty much on par with a standard room I have stayed in during another visit to Aberdeen at the Hilton Garden Hotel close by .
I can't say since being informed about this that I'm overly impressed.
At least the television in my room is a modern flat screen type unlike the rest of the furniture but then even the television has a grainy picture quality,
That all said, the rooms are at least clean.

Outwith my gripe about the "standard room" quality the wi-fi is expensive but the rest of the hotel is nice enough, the staff are friendly, the location is good & from what I remember the breakfasts & dinners are pretty good also.

For the price though I can say there's nicer "standard rooms" to be had out there & if staying in Aberdeen for more than a night or two, it's probably worth seeking them out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear EdinburghBiker

Thank you for your feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to pass on your comments. I am aware you had been in contact with the reception manager during your stay and alternative rooms were offered. With regards to your previous visit you were indeed upgraded due to the lack of heating caused by boiler failure, we have since had a new boiler installed. Please accept my apologies you did not feel the room was not to your standard. All our rooms have undergone extensive refurbishment and while we have invested a substantial amount to our front facing deluxe rooms our standard rooms were done to an equally high standard.

Thank you again for your feedback.