Well what a let down the Caledonian thistle hotel was, certainly not worth its 4 stars and not anywhere as good as its 3 star sister hotel on the outskirts where I have stayed on numerous occassions.
The check in process was so frustrating. We arrived half an hour early(130pm, check in is from 2pm) so being told our room wasnt ready was fine and we walked onto Union street for lunch. Arriving back at the hotel at 230pm we were told our room still wasnt ready and we were sent to the bar to wait and to be fair was given a complimentary drink. Another hour and a quarter passes before we finally got the key to our room, 345pm, not a good start and watched numerous others check in quickly and problem free.
We were supossedly 'upgraded' to their executive room on the 4th floor. We had booked a twin room and the second bed was a sofa bed which had been made up, whats that all about?? some upgrade...NOT.
There was so much noise outside at night that it kept both of us awake into the early hours. Even went to Boots the next morning for earplugs but they didnt help much!!
The shower in the room was terrible also. Double size shower with a lovely huge head on the shower but just a small glass side panel and water just went everywhere, had to put towels down to stop the laminate floor getting soaked.
I'm afraid the phrase 'fur coat and no knickers' comes to mind when describing the upgraded rooms.
The only positive here is the breakfast, only one word.....Fantastic!
But I'm afraid I was totally disappointed by this hotel and my stay certainly wasn't worth the money for a supposedly 4 star hotel, and theres a letter to reflect this on its way to head office!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, is perfectly placed for exploring handsome, vibrant Aberdeen, known to the world as the Granite City. Located in the centre of Aberdeen, overlooking Union Terrace Gardens and five-minute walk from the railway station, The Caledonian Hotel is a grand example of the city's distinctive Victorian architecture. It's close to many local attractions, and an excellent base for touring the Highlands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and ACCOR so you can book your Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Caledonian, Aberdeen Hotel Aberdeen
- The Hotel Aberdeen
- Caledonian Thistle
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel Scotland