“Excellent B&B”
Review of Bimini Guest House

Bimini Guest House
Ranked #24 of 103 Aberdeen B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at this B&B for one night in September 2012 having arrived at about 8pm which wasnt a problem for the owners who were quite happy to show me my room and let me know about the local restaurants. The room was very comfortable and spacious, but the really outstanding thing about this B&B was the cooked breakfast which was truly superb. I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone visiting Aberdeen as its on a quiet street only a few minutes walk away from Union Street (the main street), and a short walk the other way to the beach and the seafront.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank AlecCanwell

Reviewed April 6, 2011

We stayed at the Bimini for 7 nights and could not fault it at all. A well situated B&B a short stroll to the beach and the city centre. We stayed in the twin room at the front near the main road - it was exceptionally clean, very quite, tidy, very comfortable and had all the usual extras. Tea, Coffee & biscuits - clean towels etc. The rates are very reasonable and I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone.

A big thank you to Colin & Karen

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank wakeb
Reviewed March 15, 2009

We stayed at this place for 3 days and really loved it. Colin really goes out of the way to make sure that you are comfortable and is very helpful in giving advise about the city. The place itself is a guesthouse around 7-8 min walk from Union Street and is very convenient place to stay. The rooms are well maintained and have an old world charm about them.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank skunzru
Reviewed January 23, 2008

i was very lucky in getting a room with little notice. The room and ensuite was clean and more than satisfactory. the owners were very friendly and helpful in directing me to places and ordering me a taxis. i stayed in aberdeen due to having an interview the next day. the double bed was very comfortable and warm and slept like a log-which i dont usually do! i had a light breaky of which there was toast, cereal and fruit. u could have a cooked breaky if u wanted. it was cheaper then the horrible travel lodge in the city, and i would recommend. ideal for singles, and business travellers.

• Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank amy100
Reviewed June 30, 2007

We stayed at this bed and breakfast for 5 nights in June 2007 in their twin bedded room.

The place does not deserve its current ranking on trip advisor and the proprietor gave me the impression that he does not value his guests. Here's why.

Firstly, we had to wait for 10 minutes when we arrived before someone opened the door . That was the proprietor Colin and he offered no apology.

More importantly, we had asked for a quiet twin room when we made our booking and we were surprised to be shown a room that faced the road. I asked Colin if the room was noisy at night? He immediately looked displeased, asked me what my problem was and said the noise couldn't be helped as it was the city centre.

We sat in the room for a while and found that the traffic outside was quite heavy. Considering that it was the afternoon, I was still worried so my husband went to the basement to speak to Colin and he was shown another room facing the back. Because the other room was not a twin room and it was smaller (we had a lot of stuff with us), we decided to put up with the room facing the road instead.

It would have helped if we had been informed when we booked the room that it faced the road and that there was traffic noise. The response from Colin when I first asked him about the room was also most horrendous.

Noise aside, there was no soap or shower gel provided. I requested some soap and Colin gave me his displeased look again so I asked my husband to help. He had to run to their `office' in the basement to get the 4 packets of shower gel. What's worse is that these were NOT replenished during our 6 day 5 night stay.

You may consider shower gel or soap a luxury (and something for the ladies) but I'm sure you would agree that toilet paper is a necessity! We ran out of toilet paper on our 3rd day (there was no replenishment on the 2nd day) and, having learnt my lesson, I asked Colin's mother Molly instead. She was nice and chatted with us during breakfast but still, there was no toilet paper in the room when we got back from breakfast. Eventually, I got my husband to run to the basement again to ask for a toilet roll and he came back with one roll.

I then went to see Colin and asked if we could have an extra one just in case we ran out again. He looked visibly angry and told me off in a condescending tone that he would place another roll in our bathroom later.

In addition to the poor attitude of the proprietor, the room was not fantastic either. The furnishing was plain and there were stains on the carpet , which looked worn, and on the walls and door frame. They also placed a dresser along one of the walls and it restricted our access to the closet space.

Although it is within walking distance of Union Street, it is still a walk , and I have friends who stayed at Holiday Inn just off Union Street for 15 pounds more per night. At least, I did not hear any complaints from them.

Also, I stayed in 5 other bed and breakfasts during my trip to Scotland and this was the only one that was terrible. (I should mention that Balloch in Isle of Skye is highly recommended. The owner Barbara was warm and friendly and made us feel most welcome. Barrisdale in Glasgow was also very nice.)

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Gonzee
Clanmorrison, Owner at Bimini Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2007

I am sorry that this customer had such a bad experience. We pride our self on customer service which we believe is our core business ,but for what ever reason we have let this customer down. I would like to point out a few points which would may help explain why such a bad experience was had. We are a small guest house and not a hotel like the Hoilday Inn. We do not have 24 hour check in and put on all our information that our check in time is 4.30pm and onward, but if people wish to check in earlier this is not a problem, all they have to do is let us know so we can make arrangements. We are in the city centre and we advertise this as an attraction. If the noise level was too high and the only other room we could offer wasn't acceptable I can only apologise. We do supply soap but we do not normally supply shower gel, shampoo, hand cream , body lotion etc We will review this and thank you for pointing this out. The stain in the carpet from the previous guest spilling coffee,was removed on your departure and I agree this was unacceptable and should have been done before hand ,regardless of the reason why we hadn't enough time to so, before you arrived. If my manner came across as condescending,angry, horrendous and displeasing I can only apologise as this is not what we set out to do. As I said previously we are not a hotel and the area we can, normally, surpass hotels in is by offering a genuine personal service. Again we seem to have failed this time and I apologise.

Reviewed March 31, 2007

I wish there was a rating beyond exellent because that is what Bimini deserves!-Collin and every one at Bimini made my stay in Aberdeen amazing and I left with fond lasting memories of Scotland. I was in Aberdeen to attend a university interview and due to unfortunate circumstances I lost my bag before arrival-Collin and everyone at Bimini went out of their way to ensure I had everything sorted before my interview-without their selfless support I would not have made it through. -I am happy to say I will be a student at Aberdeen and I will go there with confidence after such amazing Scottish hospitality-

Thankyou Bimini-I recommend you to anyone who is looking for a home away from home experience.

Makhosazana

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank mamg28
Reviewed October 28, 2006

Pleasant room, Colin and staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. Plenty of food for breakfast. Within walking distance of the beach and town center (5-10 minutes). We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family