“Bad hotel, awful food”

Ranked #63 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Aberdeen, Scotland
“Bad hotel, awful food”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were put up in this hotel by BA after our flight was cancelled. It was fairly convenient for the airport but that was one of the few positives (probably about 15 minutes by taxi, so long as you don't hit rush hour)

The room was of a reasonable size but was very basic, not that clean and far from modern.

The food in the restaurant was terrible, some of the worst I have ever had.

There is nothing nearby of interest in this area of Aberdeen although it is on a bus route.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear CJSAberdeen, the hotel currently has builders in working on refurbishment. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the food. The hotel is in close proximity to the airport and due to that there is not a great deal of things in the surrounding area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you don't put your car registration number into a machine in reception within 40 minutes they charge you £100 to park there. They don't tell you on arrival that you have to do that. You are expected to spot this for yourself.

The hotel was the scruffiest I have ever seen. Virtually every carpet was threadbare and/or taped in some place to avoid tripping. Every wall, skirting and door was scuffed and dirty. Tiles were chipped or smashed on walls in the public toilet.

The TV was a relic from 1990 something, tiny, poor quality and an old CRT portable hung on the wall. The remote was held together with red gaffer tape.

The gym/pool closes at 7pm so, if like me you arrive at the end of a working day plus travel, there are no usable facilities.

The restaurant is on the first floor in amongst bedrooms, has 3 choices on the "a la carte menu" but closes at 9:15pm. When asking the waiter what the stuffed peppers were stuffed with he had no idea and had to ask the cook (I hesitate to say chef). This is the same waiter who at breakfast said I could have a banana with my porridge, if only they had any and offered me an apple instead.

Breakfast costs £11.50 but you can get it for £7.50 if you buy a voucher from reception the night before. That's still the worst value porridge I've ever threatened my digestive system with, even with an apple thrown in!

Pillows are barely thicker than the case. Two stacked together is still not the thickness of a normal pillow.

The hot water in the bathroom is turned off at night so good luck having a wash at midnight.

I'm estimating the entire number of guests at maybe 10 to 15 in a hotel with well over a hundred rooms.

There is a reason. At £109 for a night (which by the way they charge to your card when you book it and not when you arrive or leave) it represents the worst value for money and experience I have had in 30+ years of business travel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mike S, there are clear signs throughout stating about the car park and most guests find it easy to simply register their car. The CRT TVs have actually just all been replaced this week with flat screens. The restaurant is not amonst any bedrooms but on it's own, however I do apologise for the issues you had there. The hot water is not turned off during the night and if you did not have any this should have been reported at the time so we could rectify if there had been an issue.

Travelers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had an unplanned trip to Aberdeen and booked for one night. We found it online and it looked lovely, it wasn't!!! This hotel is not how it looks or describes itself online or in the brochure. The hotel looks like it isn't even open and there were issues with the car park before we even entered the building. The staff weren't very welcoming and tried to charge us twice! No proper uniforms or name tags are being worn. The whole hotel smells of cigarette smoke and looks shabby. Our room, 225, was a huge let down. Dirty and none matching cups and saucers. Stained walls, carpets, chairs and net curtains, which were black and stuck to the manky window. The heating wasn't working properly and the room had a complete lack of power points. The bathroom was the worst. Filthy! The paint of the bottom off the bath was peeling away, bath handles were very loose, as was the shower which was freezing but water from taps was boiling. The towel rail was missing but the holes still gaping open. Sink had bits missing too and walls and doors had brown marks all over them. The noise of the airplanes and helicopters didn't bother us but the constant banging of the pipes did. We didn't complain as we didn't want to be moved from room to room in such a dirty place. We went to sleep early and left early without breakfast. We spent 2 lovely nights at another hotel with much more facilities the previous nights for the same amount as we paid for one night in this hotel. You should be appalled with yourselves Britannia Hotels. Your Aberdeen Hotel is a disgrace, as are your staff.

Room Tip: If other rooms are like room 225 or the reception area then there really is no point in paying good...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KatClayton
Dear KatClayton, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, however if there were issues I would advise letting us know at the time so that we can correct them.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

never ever stay here!!!! my list of complaints are endless. Firstly the room itself is dated, dull and dungeon like.. the toilet seat was broken, as was the remote control for the television which only had 5 channels. there was a used elastoplast under the bed along with old contact lenses. there was rubbish, old food containers and kitchen utensils outside our window. On arrival we were informed dinner was for 630 till 9. when we went for dinner we were told to come back at 745 as a coach load of pensioners had arrived and they were busy. i refused to leave the restaurant(i use this term loosely) so the manageress was called. after a heated discussion she threw her hands in the air and shouted 'just go eat then'. oh how i wish we had left!!! the food was horrendous. frozen chips, frozen soggy veg and im not sure what everything else was as it wasn't labeled and unrecognizable!!! vile cheap ingredient. we ended up having a chip roll!!!!! the chef was standing along side the 'hot' plates in his whites or should i say dirty greys! we paid and booked for 2 nights, we left 7am the next morning missing breakfast! absolutely knackered as the pipes in the room banged all night!!! if only i had checked trip ad visor before booking! STAY AWAY!!! you have been warned!!!

Room Tip: dont go!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear lel112013, I am sorry that you did not have a good experience. We to try to avoid guests eating at the same time as groups but obviously this was not dealt with in a correct manner.
Bridgend
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I'm not from a well to do upbringing and don't have big expectations of hotels that I frequent and have done for 20 years. However after paying £175 per night for a room my expectations were raised.
Firstly the room although clean was very dingy with inadequate lighting, poor stare of decor with very poor wifi coverage if any.
Secondly I arrived at the restaurant at 19:15 to be told they were no longer taking anymore bookings with at least six empty tables.
After complaining to the reception staff I was told, here are some take away menus you can order and eat in your room.
Whilst in my room I phoned room service and asked for a plate and cutlery to be told I had to go and get this myself.
To top it all off when arriving for breakfast I was informed that it was not included?? for £175 I have stayed and ate in Hilton hotels and paid less - Awful place, Awful Staff - Do Not Stay Here...

Room Tip: There are no Good Rooms Do Not Stay Here
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear Whiteninja1971, I am sorry that the rate did not represent value for money for you, the rates are determined by availability so are higher when only limited rooms left.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Firstly, staff were ok, but the culture of accepting a poor run down mis managed hotel was clearly evident. They appeared as if their spirit was broken.
The room I was in was not as clean as I had expected. Dust around bed , New cups for coffee every day were dirty. Tatty furnishings, stains on chairs etc.
The dining area was shocking, flaking paint on roof directly above open bowls of fruit for cereals, walls behind breakfast area stained with old spilt food. When I attempted to have my evening meal, firstly was told to come back in an hour as full, despite only 8 seats filled from over 30! And when I returned all requested meals from the menu were finished! The only thing left according to the waiter was celery soup, that "does not taste of celery, but he has been told is still ok" and all this fir only 175 pounds a night. I ended up walking in the lovely wind and rain to the nearest takeaway so I could have some tea, never again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Andy C, I am sorry that you did not think the hotel was value at the price you paid and will pass your comments onto the department heads.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever been in.

Why?

5. Food dried on to the base of the bed
6. Cigarette burn in the bathroom counter top
7. Towel rail fell down when lifting a towel from it
8. Carpet had holes in it and was stuck down with duct tape
9. It cost £170. £170. Unbelievable.

The thought of even sleeping in the hotel was uncomfortable, and for the first time in months I was PLEASED to hear my alarm go off since it meant it was time to leave.

I would sooner self harm than stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: You would be better off buying a tent and pitching it in a nearby field.
1 Thank Ed C
Dear Ed C, I am sorry that you did not feel the hotel was value at the rate you paid however prices vary dependant on availability. Unfortunately some guests smoke in rooms even though they are not meant to and it takes time to fully get rid of the smell.