“This hotel needs work but I had a nice, spacious room.”

Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen
Ranked #63 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Manchester, United Kingdom
“This hotel needs work but I had a nice, spacious room.”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Tired and in need of a complete overhaul. The decor and general feel of the place was not up to the standard I would have expected for the price.

On the upside, the room was spacious and comfortable.

I had a full breakfast. It was ok, but overpriced. Poor selection of cereals. Tea and coffee was available in thermal jugs. When I went to get some tea, all the cups had gone and the table was a mess of saucers, spills and spoons. I was short on time and couldn't be bothered to wait, so I didn't. Surely, this is more appropriate for a canteen than a hotel restaurant. Staff appeared unmotivated, maybe they were a one or two short that morning.

I wouldn't choose to come back here. There's so much better around.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Findmeacheapdeal, thanks for your comments. I am glad you found your room to be clean spacious and comfortable even if it is a little dated. We do operate a self service breakfast but there is no excuse for not having cups available and I can only apologise for that.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Glasgow
Reviewed January 27, 2013

was staying there for over a week; the hotel is very dated, but the room itself was ok- big and clean, just maybe to dark in the evenings;reception staff very friendly; the food was really good, great value for money as well, the only problem is the service in the restaurant- needs improvement

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear MarkH, thank you for your review, I am glad you found the rooms to be big and clean and enjoyed the food. The Restaurant Manager has taken your comments onboard and is looking at further training for the staff.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was put into this hotel by my company because all of the hotels in Aberdeen were full and as a rule we never use this hotel and I can see why, it needs a complete update from top to bottom and that goes management also, the restaurant is a complete joke, my colleges and I went for our evening meal at about 19:00 and we were told they had too many people in the restaurant and could we come back in an hours time (there was only twelve people in there but we were told the chef couldn’t cope with them numbers) when we came back there was a queue of about ten people and the gentleman was panicking telling us they could not cope. I spoke to some people that were coming out and they told me the food was disgusting, we left and had a bar lunch in the pub over the road.
One good thing there was free WI-FI, keep away from this place...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear foss281, the hotel is old and would benefit from a refurbishment which is being looked into at the minute. Due to the weather the hotel was full and all guests were looking for dining, there was a delay on letting more guests in due to the number of guests already dining (unfortunately whilst you may have seen 10 people from the bar area there is a further dining area that holds 40 guests that was also full. The Chef did need time to get all the orders on as everyone was ordering A La Carte. I notice your comments on the food are what you supposidly heard from other guests and not your own experience, which is a shame.

Travelers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Liverpool
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Do not visit this hotel if you want Comfort, Happy Staff, Good nights sleep, value for money.
The staff are rude & do not smile. The hygiene standards are very disappointing. All in all a disgrace of a hotel, & one that I will never stay at again & I will advise anyone not to stay at ever, whatever the price. I was greeted with "How are you going to pay?", Not who I was? Have I booked etc? A disgrace of a hotel to a big brand organisation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear LairdofDunans, I am sorry that reception gave you such a bad welcome and will definately speak to them.
Elgin
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The rooms were very comfortable, no problem there, and hard working housekeeping staff.

Very amateur food offer and set up. Not enough staff to cope with seating and serving diners. Food poorly presented, many complaints to staff by irate diners, and people having to walk out, as no one serving them. Stale rolls at breakfast.
Everything is cheap and nasty and obviously geared and making maximum profit for minimum outlay.......ie sauce brands, self service coffee, and bread was hard several day old ,with no stock rotation whatsoever. Many other tables were talking / commenting on the same issues.

Duty manager arguing/ dealing with staff in front of customers much to everyone's embarrassment. Un professional.

Needs new business plan and lift in standards.

Room Tip: Ok for a night if just a roof for the night before flying , early check in etc.....if you get a deal...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Citycri, Thank you for your review and I am glad that you found your room to be of a good standard. We staff the restaurant to expected numbers of customers, unfortunatley sometimes these numbers do increase and cause waits etc. The duty manager should never have been arguing with staff in front of guests and I will definately look into that.
North Berwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel is a joke, very badly run & managed, staff that have an attitude problem. Unfortunately this was the only hotel that had room available in the area that I wanted to be. Next time I will definitely stay somewhere else even if I have to drive for miles.
The room was actually OK but you would need a compass & a packed meal to trek to find it.
The service in the dining room was to say the least a pantomime.
A lot of training is definitely required.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here ask for a room closer to the reception.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Robert S, I am sorry that you found the staff to have a bad attitude. The hotel is large and spread out and as such some rooms are a distance from reception however none are excessive.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I've been traveling a lot to many different countries for the past three years due to the nature of my business, and it's the first time I decided to leave a review. I was to Aberdeen for a business trip on Saturday, 12th of January 2013. I'm not too fussy when it comes down to hotels I stay at for a day or two, so in my opinion hotel itself is in an ok condition, kind of what you would expect from the discription. All credit though goes to the most helpful and pleasant receprionist I've ever seen - Maria, who not only sorted me out with a room in no time, but also explained how to get around the town, advised on paces to have dinner etc. I was very tired that day and I really aprreciate that she had a positive attitude and smiled, greeted me as soon as I entered and was very polite at the same time!
As a bottom line I would reccomend you to stay in this hotel if you are on a short business trip, and you'll be very lucky if Maria works that day!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Eugene M, thank you for your comments. I am glad that you mentioned Maria and will pass your comments onto her.