Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen
$151
$89
$74
  • Restaurant
Skene House Rosemount(Aberdeen)(Great Value!)
$78
Aberdeen Marriott Hotel(Aberdeen)(Great Value!)
$94
  • Pool
$95
$86
$167
$94
Ibis Aberdeen Centre(Aberdeen)(Great Value!)
$49
$48
  • Restaurant
Palm Court Hotel(Aberdeen)(Great Value!)
$66
$52
$103
$93
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here with my partner for 2 nights. When we checked in the receptionist was very ubrupt and rude. She treated us as if we were a nuisance and she couldnt wait to get rid of us. We went upto the room which was a smoking room nothing really much to say it had 2 double beds and a single a very old kettle and an even older t.v. It was ok though as we didnt expect much. I would of expected it to be clean though as we found rubbish papers underneath the bed and a black bag full of something i didnt look in it as i was not sure what i would find. When we then went back downstairs we asked the receptionist if she could please phone us a taxi her respnse was sigh"i suppose" we were a little shocked. As we both work in the hotel bussiness we understand that everyone has bad days even though on my worst i would never act like this. Through our whole stay it was the same receptionist on and i never saw her smile once she made us feel uncomfortable to ask anything. We never eat here so i can not comment on the food. The only person we saw smile was the barman. I would never stay here again unless it was just for a roof over my head and i wasnt spending anytime in the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ble1234
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear ble1234, I apologise if your room was dirty as you describe. There is no reason for rude receptionists however I wish that you had given the name of the receptionist, as no receptionists work for 2 solid days.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Lone female traveller booked this hotel last minute as it was cheapest option close to town centre. Arrived in the dark and struggled to find reception walking through the dark car park through and underpass of what gives the impression of being an inner city 60's block of run down flats.

On entering reception I was (foolishly) expecting something clean and efficient similar to a travel lodge, recognising the price I was getting the room for.

The reception was small and shabby with several men hanging about or being served, not the suited variety. The reception has a short corridor giving direct access to what looked like a tacky mock Tudor pub. In the corridor was a man and a drunken female, very poor first impression. My overwhelming desire was to run away, I felt uncomfortable and a little unsafe.

I then waited over 20 mins to get checked in with 2 men in front of me and a couple behind me while one person served on reception.

It was quite a hike to the room down so many corridors I ensured i knew where the nearest fire exit was as I could never have found my way out in the dark.

Surprisingly the room was very spacious and spotlessly clean, the bed was comfortable, tea coffee biscuits and toiletries were provided. The bathroom was clean and functional, although the bath strip was blackened and coming off.

For a cheap room (I paid £35) it was ok. But I won't be rushing back I'll stick to the mainstream budget hotels in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Jan T, we have a large car park however all areas are covered by lights although some more than others. To reach reception you walk under the building, it is not a underpass. We do have men staying in the hotel and they do check in at reception and also wait there for taxis etc. I am sorry if as a single woman you found this off putting. The hotel is always very busy and check in times vary dramatically so some times there are longer waits. As the hotel is large there is quite a walk to some of the rooms.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was required at very short notice to work in Aberdeen for four days. Having never been to Aberdeen before, I had no idea how insanely busy this City gets mid week. It is no exaggeration to say I must have tried about 40 hotels in the Aberdeen region before I found one that could accommodate me for four nights at two days notice. The hotel was the Britannia and in desperation, I immediately booked it.

I was offered the "Dinner, Bed & Breakfast" package, which I was required to pay for up-front on a non-refundable basis so once booked, there was no going back.

Then I read the reams and reams of depressing reviews on TripAdvisor. Imagine my horror! To say that I was dreading my stay would be an understatement.

However to be fair to the hotel, in my opinion some of the other reviews are possibly a little harsh. Yes, the hotel is shabby and in serious need of updating and yes, the exterior does look like a 1970's monstrosity. But if you can live for a few days without a flat screen TV and you don't mind that the ends of your toilet roll aren't folded into triangles, then it's perfectly functional. The room I was allocated was large, clean and everything in it worked as it should. I actually slept really well the whole time I stayed here.

Other positives were the staff in the restaurant who were friendly, efficient and helpful. And I'd have to say that the food was decent too. The menu options were limited, but they changed every night and what was on offer was cooked well.

On the bad side though were the staff on reception. Apart from Sylvia and a Scottish girl with long dark hair (both of whom were charming every time I encountered them), the staff on reception generally seemed to regard the guests as an irritating inconvenience.

Also whilst the food and staff in the restaurant were fine, the restaurant itself was not. It was cold (both literally and figuratively) and souless; I've eaten in canteens with more atmosphere. And it really wouldn't take much to make it more appealing - a little low level background music and some ambient lighting would make a big difference, and for heavens sake, turn the heating on!

I was also offended by the £4 fee for using the leisure facilities as no mention of this additional charge is made on their website. Generally, if a hotel advertises something as being part of it's service, it's fair to assume that it is included in the cost. Certainly, other hotels I've stayed in that offer leisure facilities at an additional cost will be clear about this on their website.

Another money-grabbing opportunity is hidden away in the "Dinner, Bed and Breakfast" package. Do not book this crappy package if you can avoid it. It doesn't include any drinks and doesn't cover room service, both of which you have to pay separately for, in spite of the fact that you've already paid a premium for the DBB package.

I wouldn't go so far as to describe this hotel as a "hell hole", but I couldn't say that my stay was entirely enjoyable and I'll do my best to stay elsewhere the next time I'm in Aberdeen. Suffice to say that I now realise why this hotel had availability at two days notice, whereas the other 40 I tried didn't. The Britannia Hotel in Aberdeen really is the last resort.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Oceandiver9

Dear Oceandiver9, I am glad that you found the hotel better than the reviews on trip advisor and some comments harsh and that you slept well. The hotel would benefit from refurbishment but there is no excuse for rude staff. We do charge £4.00 for the use of the leisure facilities which are optional if you wish to use them, this is as the facilities are small and as such become to crowded if free use.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Many others have commented on the exterior of this hotel and it does need extensive restoration work in order to stop it looking like some 60's mistake. You will be glad to know that the interior does not put the exterior to shame. There is black tape holding the carpet together, the low ceilings are oppressive and the walls are dirty. I can't remember the last time I was in such an old fashioned lift. My room is large with two double beds, and en suite. So far so good; there is a kettle and tea/coffee and even a packet of biscuits. That however are the only good bits. There are traces of food splattered on the wall. The walls have numerous black marks on them which if the lights worked in my room I might be able to identify.
The pillowcases are clean but the pillows within have seen better days. The material covering the base of the beds are torn and tattered.
When it comes to the bathroom I don't where to start. The sink is badly marked and the stainless steel tap is badly stained. There is no plug in the sink and a previous occupant has dropped something down the plughole which stops the water draining away. The sealant where it exists is cracked and dirty. Around the edges of the tiled bathroom floor there is a ribbon of dirt. The veneer on the bathroom door is splintering away with damp and there is a band of damp around the ceiling. Around the bath broken tiles have been replaced with tiles of a differing colour. I think what used to be a non slip coating on the bottom of the bath is coming away and could easily cut a foot. The hot water tap is leaking water and can't be turned off. The bath has a plug but the chain has almost rusted away. I won't be having a shower as the shower head is so dirty I am afraid of what will come out if I turn it on. This is not just dirty it is downright dangerous. If I was able I would go and find another hotel but it is too late at night. Heaven knows what the breakfast will be like. If you have a choice DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.
The ba

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear Geoff21, thank you for taking the time to meet me after posting your comments. Your room was indeed one of our worst and I will ensure maintenance look into the issues we discussed and rectify what they can. I can only apologise again for the other issues you encountered and assure you that I am investigating them.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

hi to who ever reads this ,the hotel was very clean and tidy ,,,shower easy to use ,which i found out after a 13 hour journey ,,meals ok.breakfast self service ,plenty of everything you need in fact great ,manager were he finds is energy i wish he would pass it on to me ..the man is every where a credit to this hotel ..oh and the barman and manager run the pub in hotel like clock work ..never have i seen 2 more dedicated staff members than those two guys .thanks for great 5 days cheap cheerfull holiday,,,, thanks guys .oh and travelstyle who we booked it through ..hope to see you again sometime ,two happy punters bob and phyllis ...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Bob and Phyllis, I am glad that you had a great stay with us and look forward to having you back again. I will pass your comments on to all concerned as I am sure they will appreciate them.