“Great value for what I paid .. Family deal”

Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen
Ranked #63 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed October 30, 2012

First impression was not good from outside. Old and tired looking building. Rooms were spotless and perfect for a family of 5 . Never used facilities so can't comment on pool or gym. Deal was DBB plus wine for 5 plus bottle of house wine £65 for everything. Meal was great as was breakfast. No complaints at all. Good choice and kids enjoyed it also. Ages 13, 4, 2 . Assume it was the manager (english gentleman)couldn't have done enough at meal times . Credit to brittannia.if you want to pay crazy prices for decor then go elsewhere. 4miles from city centre and 3 miles fro, airport.

Room Tip: Family room had 2doubles and a single with loads of space . Not cramped at all. Room number 9 .
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Martin_Brogan
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Martin_Brogan, thank you for your comments so many people use these site just to complain. I am glad you and your family had a great stay and we hope to see you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I would avoid this place like the plague!! Yes i only paid a small amount to stay here (price the same as a travel lodge) but i would have been more comfortable sleeping in my car... Our first minute in this place instantley made me regret booking it.... as we approached the receptionist she let out a huge sigh and i mean huge!! I even looked behind me to see if something had happened?? but there was nothing!! she asked me my name how i was paying and told me to sign here and here...handed me my room card and walked off...we found our way to the 4th floor eventually!! down corridors that smelt of cigarettes and the ceilings were covered in cobwebs :( we got to our room and the card did not work so we had to all the way down to the delightful receptionist to tell her that the card didnt work she asked our room number did something with the card then abruptley told me to keep it away from my mobile phone and slapped the card back on the desk and walked off....at this point i was stood utterly gobsmacked and bemused and the sheer bad mannered abruptness and disgusting rudeness i witnessed!! had i been just myself i would have asked for my money back and requested to speak to a manager but i had my daughter with me....and to be honest after reading the other reveiws about this hotel she is cleary being allowed to behave in this way.....the room was basic smelt unclean the matress on the bed was clearly passed its best i am sure i would have been comfier in a doorway...... avoid avoid avoid :(

Room Tip: anywhere but here!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank lorna m
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear lorna m, I am sorry that the receptionist was rude and abrupt and we will have words with all receptionists about this. The hotel is large and spread out, you obviously passed along our smoking floor which is on the third floor, this can be avoided by going along the ground floor to the second lift that would take you directly to where the 4th floor rooms are. The keycards do work with magnetic strips and as such can be effected by mobile phones, keys, metal etc.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is fine and I enjoyed my stay here , fine room decent breakfast and staff were helpful , location was ideal for me superb B&B value at £62 also the communal bar staff were friendly and were swift at serving bar meals no more to add here folks

Room Tip: cant advise only stayed once
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Hibee1973, thank you for your comments and I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us, we hope to see you back again in the future.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed in the Britannia for two nights as I was working in the area on business, my colleague sorted the hotel arrangements without actually looking at reviews or the hotels website otherwise we would have definitely avoided this absolute dump.

First impressions were not great, graffiti on the outside of the building and the building itself very run down in appearance.

Arrived to be greeted by one of the rudest, most uninterested receptionist I've ever dealt with in the many hotels I have stayed in. Not sure how long Sylvia has worked in the hotel but even if it was her first day ...she's been there too long. Absolutely awful customer service (which continued throughout my stay).

I was given room 504 and after about ten minutes of trying to find the room I eventually got there. I wasn't expecting much judging by the rest of the hotel and the room was pretty much as I thought. Very basic, tiny bed and tiny television. A horrible smell of dampness filled the room and the seats looked in much need of a clean.

I spent as little time as possible in the room as it was just so depressing, I actually sat doing work in my car rather than spending any more time than needed in this absolute dump.

I never went down for breakfast as I dreaded to think what it would be like, so I can't really comment.

Avoid!!

Yes, it may be cheaper than other hotels in the area but with hotels like Premier Inn and Travelodge doing similar prices but with rooms a million times better, there really is no excuse.

Room Tip: There isn't a good room in this place.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank papac1873
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear pacpac1873, I am sorry you did not have a good stay and yes the hotel is dated and would benefit from refurbishment. The hotel is large and some rooms are a distance from reception, however there are clear signs to all rooms. The beds are mostly standard double beds which are mostly used for sole occupacy. I will speak to Sylvia about your comments.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am horrified at the price charged by these cowboys for the room I am sitting in right now. Do not stay here, stay anywhere but here. There are lovely hotels around Aberdeen, Jury's Inn, Holiday Inn, Thistles, I urge you to boycott this hotel. It should be pulled down.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Sounimpresed
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Dear Sounimpresed, the price of the rooms are clearly displayed and it is your decision to book at those prices or not. We are a very busy hotel and as such early booking get much better rates and last minute booking are much higher.

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Very dated hotel in major need of a refurbish. Customer service of a very low standard. Due to limited hotel rooms in Aberdeen this place is getting away with charging very high prices and offers next to nothing in return! Over £500 for 4 nights in what I would class as a 2 star establishment. Even have the brass neck to charge extra for the gym and pool!
Was staying in one of the refurbished rooms on 5th floor but still needs work. Bathroom is done to a very poor standard and mattress didn't feel like it had been changed for 30 years!
Much better hotels in Aberdeen if you can find space but more than likely the Britannia will be only one with vacancies as its everyone's LAST choice!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank J9off

Dear J9off, the hotel would benefit from a refurbishment however we will certainly look at the customer service aspect.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

In Aberdeen hotel rooms during the week can be hard to come by which is how I ended up in the Brittania in the first place.

In dire need of renovation, however the room was clean and there were tea making facilities in the room.

I chose not to eat or drink anything but to simply sleep and check out the next morning.

Did not try the internet or any other extras either.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear FlowerPetalBlooming, the hotel would benefit from a refurbishment as it is a little dated however we are so busy it is hard to get time to do anything. I am glad that you found the room to be clean.