“Fine Stay”

Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen
Ranked #63 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is fine and I enjoyed my stay here , fine room decent breakfast and staff were helpful , location was ideal for me superb B&B value at £62 also the communal bar staff were friendly and were swift at serving bar meals no more to add here folks

Room Tip: cant advise only stayed once
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Hibee1973, thank you for your comments and I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us, we hope to see you back again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed in the Britannia for two nights as I was working in the area on business, my colleague sorted the hotel arrangements without actually looking at reviews or the hotels website otherwise we would have definitely avoided this absolute dump.

First impressions were not great, graffiti on the outside of the building and the building itself very run down in appearance.

Arrived to be greeted by one of the rudest, most uninterested receptionist I've ever dealt with in the many hotels I have stayed in. Not sure how long Sylvia has worked in the hotel but even if it was her first day ...she's been there too long. Absolutely awful customer service (which continued throughout my stay).

I was given room 504 and after about ten minutes of trying to find the room I eventually got there. I wasn't expecting much judging by the rest of the hotel and the room was pretty much as I thought. Very basic, tiny bed and tiny television. A horrible smell of dampness filled the room and the seats looked in much need of a clean.

I spent as little time as possible in the room as it was just so depressing, I actually sat doing work in my car rather than spending any more time than needed in this absolute dump.

I never went down for breakfast as I dreaded to think what it would be like, so I can't really comment.

Avoid!!

Yes, it may be cheaper than other hotels in the area but with hotels like Premier Inn and Travelodge doing similar prices but with rooms a million times better, there really is no excuse.

Room Tip: There isn't a good room in this place.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank papac1873
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear pacpac1873, I am sorry you did not have a good stay and yes the hotel is dated and would benefit from refurbishment. The hotel is large and some rooms are a distance from reception, however there are clear signs to all rooms. The beds are mostly standard double beds which are mostly used for sole occupacy. I will speak to Sylvia about your comments.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am horrified at the price charged by these cowboys for the room I am sitting in right now. Do not stay here, stay anywhere but here. There are lovely hotels around Aberdeen, Jury's Inn, Holiday Inn, Thistles, I urge you to boycott this hotel. It should be pulled down.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Sounimpresed
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Dear Sounimpresed, the price of the rooms are clearly displayed and it is your decision to book at those prices or not. We are a very busy hotel and as such early booking get much better rates and last minute booking are much higher.

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Very dated hotel in major need of a refurbish. Customer service of a very low standard. Due to limited hotel rooms in Aberdeen this place is getting away with charging very high prices and offers next to nothing in return! Over £500 for 4 nights in what I would class as a 2 star establishment. Even have the brass neck to charge extra for the gym and pool!
Was staying in one of the refurbished rooms on 5th floor but still needs work. Bathroom is done to a very poor standard and mattress didn't feel like it had been changed for 30 years!
Much better hotels in Aberdeen if you can find space but more than likely the Britannia will be only one with vacancies as its everyone's LAST choice!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank J9off

Dear J9off, the hotel would benefit from a refurbishment however we will certainly look at the customer service aspect.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

In Aberdeen hotel rooms during the week can be hard to come by which is how I ended up in the Brittania in the first place.

In dire need of renovation, however the room was clean and there were tea making facilities in the room.

I chose not to eat or drink anything but to simply sleep and check out the next morning.

Did not try the internet or any other extras either.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear FlowerPetalBlooming, the hotel would benefit from a refurbishment as it is a little dated however we are so busy it is hard to get time to do anything. I am glad that you found the room to be clean.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

When entering the hotel the staff were less than helpful, no smiles not even a 'Hello'!
The facilities within the hotel were not explained.
Hotel layout is difficult to navigate, I would describe it was a ‘warren’. Not all doors were labelled.
Hotel is very dirty and run down. I did not feel comfortable walking in my socks around the room.
Two night stay over, first morning waking up no hot water! No explanation why, no apology!
Rooms were very noisy, could hear the people in the next room.
Morning two the House Cleaning Staff knocked on the door at 9am!

Would not recommend to a friend
Would not stay again

Plus points: good parking

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Britannia Hotel Aberdeen
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura B

Dear Laura B, I am sorry that the reception staff did not explain the facilities properly too you and did not even greet you properly. We did have a issue with the hot water one day in some rooms but we did not know which ones, and engineer was called and came out and fixed it within an hour of us being informed.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Having travelled seven hours a goodnights sleep was needed. Unfortunately i had been booked into the Britannia Hotel in Aberdeen, so a goodnights sleep was not on the cards. The hotel in general is run down and dirty. It took an ice age to check in and once I was allocated my “cell”, I immediately “hit the sack”.

Hitting the sack, is actually a very accurate and way of describing their beds. The mattress was lumpy and had “people” potholes in it. Meaning wherever you lay, you ended up absorbed by a lumpy, spiky, horrible experience. I would have thought that sit ups on a bed of nails would have been more comfortable. The pillows were also of equal interest. All the pillows supplied were like bags of builders’ sand. Still wide awake at 4am, I decided that I would be more comfortable, by removing the pillow from the case, and filling the case with my clothing. It improved the feel of the pillow and felt less uncomfortable than the mattress.

I got the overall impression that this hotel lacks serious investment and requires competent management and staff to give it any chance of a future.

Total dump, avoid at all costs. Sleeping in the car, on a park bench or even in a shop doorway would be better!

Room Tip: Good room:- Sleeping in the car, a park bench or a shop doorway.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Razzthejazz

Dear Razzthejazz, I am sorry that you did not have a good stay. The hotel is a bit dated and as such can appear dirty when it is not. We have just ordered more new beds.