“1 Night stay Jan 2014”
Review of Station Hotel

Station Hotel
Ranked #60 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed here 1 night having been working in Aberdeen and the firm found us a room at short notice.
We ate out in the centre straight opposite excellent choice of restaurants a stones throw away.
Breakfast was a buffet type breakfast and anyone who's read my reviews before will know I'm not a fan of this style of service whilst I understand its less staff intensive food kept in bain maries can be sub standard by the time it reaches your plate especially open air heat lamp types as is at the station hotel. On the plus side breakfast is available ultra early 4:30 AM till 9 AM so if you need to be up and away early for work flight or train then its a great service.
The evening menue wasn't so appealing hence eating out but thats all about personal tastes.
The halls smell old and the overall decor would be best freshened up some time soon. The room was okay however the booking form mentioned a mini bar that I didn't see and the Tea coffee tray was a bit sparce.
My room was on the 4th floor and it was clean and comfortable but it was a twin room.

Overall not an overly bad stay but I've had better that were cheaper.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I booked a double room, but was allocatd what can only be described as a top floor box room with a single bed. (room 501).As my girlfriend was to be joining me shortly after, I went to reception to point out the error. I was then given a room which was ancient, (room 330) and the furnishings the same. The decor was decades old, and in a poor state. The room was quite large but only lit by 3 small wall lights, one of which wasn't working. There was no roof light, so this made it impossible to read as it was getting dark outside. I tried to shut the curtains, but none of the two pairs closed properly. To relax myself and calm my mood I poured a bath, then noticed the bathroom looked out onto a busy corridor way leading to a shopping centre. I went to close the blind, but the pullcord was broken, and lying in a pile on the shelf. I managed to force it down, but god knows how the chambermaid was going to get it back up the next day. I then went to make a cup of coffee, but there was no milk on the tray. I phoned reception, and someone came with some around 10 mins later. The room was so bad I phoned my girlfriend to tell her not to come as I was embarrased booking such a shabby hotel for what was supposed to be a nice romantic night. I can honestly say I can find no redeeming factors apart from the location in regard to the rail/bus station.

Room Tip: Dont bother!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Excellent value ,really good service and wonderful atmosphere.
Will definitely be going back next year and would recommend to anyone.
Have been to Hogmany dances that have been double the cost and they do not compare with the standard of food we received .
Well done to everyone who made it a really good night.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed for one night, the lock on my door was broken, looked like the door had been kicked in. Wallpaper actually falling off the wall.

Could not believe how bad this place is.

Seems to be mainly used for poor guys having a night in Aberdeen before going offshore.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GeoffInJavea
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Even basic hotels are ridiculously expensive in Aberdeen, but bargains are sometimes available at weekends. On a Saturday night, two weeks before Xmas, I got what they called a "small double", but was actually a decent-sized room, for just £60, single occupancy, right next to Union Square in the city centre. I managed to park on site for free and the full breakfast was incredibly good value at £4. The old Victorian hotel has a few shabby corners where it doesn't matter, but my room (on the top floor) had been recently refurbished. There were only two glitches: the bulb in the light over the bed was blown (I reported this) and the hot water takes a long time to feed through to the bath (even longer to the shower), so be patient. Fantastic value, given the location.

Room Tip: Set the hot water running well before you need it (top floor issue, only?)
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 1, 2013

i booked this hotel for one night only, i needed a room close to the train station. The room was inexpensive but from the outside the hotel looked ok, an old hotel that had seen better days.. I had a shower and realised there was no hair dryer. i called the desk and they said they would send one to my room. After 10 or so minutes i heard some noise at my door. i opened the door to find another guest who had been given the same room key as my room, i did complain and the staff were apologetic, but it did leave me thinking about whether they would make this mistake when i wasnt in the room. In my room the lights were uplighters only so you cant read in bed unless you have a kindle. Room was clean but the bed linen was a bit tired. On the ground floor , lots of noise from satursay night revellers. No shower curtain, and a bathroom heater that sounded as loud as a 747. This has the potential to be a really nice hotel, its a shame the group who owns it have decided to run it into the ground. I have to give this a 2 due to the key incident its not a mistake a hotel should make., oh and the hairdryer didnt arrive.

Room Tip: dont choose a room on the lower floors
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We paid £55 for a saturday night here. Only reason we chose here was for the location. The room we got was absolutely tiny. Very small double bed with bit of space round it and bathroom. No extra space to put stuff. We had friends round for a drink before heading out and felt so squashed. Room was so dull the main light was useless. Only one socket in the room!! No socket at the desk so couldn't sit there to do hair or make up! Won't be staying here again!

Stayed: November 2013