“Avoid, like the plague - worst hotel experience, ever.”
Review of Station Hotel

Station Hotel
Ranked #61 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Avoid, like the plague - worst hotel experience, ever.”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Had a recent stay at the start of October. First appearences sometimes do count! The hotel decor was tired, and lift floor dirty and stained. Despite friendly staff, the room was atrocious with a stained carpet on our fifth room floor and to add to the ambiance had a used condom on the window ledge - utterly unacceptable.

The heating in the room added to the experience making sleep impossible. Any hope that breakfast would retrieve any element of this experience was soon dashed with the congealed scrambled egg, grease filled sausage and coffee which was utterly undrinkable with a waitress who slammed it down without any civility what so ever.

I will never step foot again in this place and the organisation i work for will never be booking anyone here again ever - avoid it - you can do better elsewhere unless your looking for misery.

Room Tip: try another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
Batu Gajah, Malaysia
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Was on a last minute situation. The hotel is located a hill slope and is quite close to the train station, at the town center. That's good for travelers without private transportation. It's a bit old but well kept. My room was straight forward, but my two other colleagues got lost; can you imagine that? Breakfast was good. The reception was very good and was so helpful.

Room Tip: Don't get lost... Ask for a room close to the lifts.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I arrived for my stay at the hotel and the first problem was play 'hunt the car park' as it is so badly signposted (The only way I found the overflow car park was to ring the hotel to find out where to park as the car park was full) and then having parked the car there is no obvious way from the car park to the hotel reception without a route march around the outside of the hotel. Check in was a fairly hassle free process. Like most hotels in Aberdeen the Station thrives on the oil industry and as such can charge inflated prices. The station was the only hotel room I could find on Friday after a two search for a stay the following week. Whilst the beds are comfortable the hotel appears to thrive on just getting by. Electrical sockets were lose in the wall, tiling in the bathroom looked like it had been done by an unsupervised trainee and the toilet was difficult to flush. I eat in the restaurant the first night but the food was not great. I had roast chicken, which could be said not to be dry only because of the amount of gravy on the plate. The service was not service, the waitress served the meal without waiting to be asked any question and trying to attract their attention without calling out across the restaurant was impossible. Overall not a great experience for the prices being charged.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Staffin, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I arrived for my stay at the hotel on Sunday the 12th August and the first problem was 'hunt the car park'. It is so badly signposted that I missed it twice and then on the third effort had to ask one of the workers for the hotel who was outside having a cigarette break to tell me exactly how I got into it. When I did, I found it was a small courtyard with space for no more than 20 cars and I found out later that, if you were unlucky enough not to get parked here, you had to pay in the car park opposite. This isn't quite the impression they give on the web site which states ' onsite car parking is available' - I think that should be changed to: 'limited onsite car parking is available'.
I checked in and found the reception area to be very new and promising - although perhaps a little on the dark side. I was given my key and told where the lift was and I found the room on the 4th floor. The rooms are very large and spacious - however the bathroom is absolutely tiny compared with the room.The bed was comfortable and it was very clean. However, on closer inspection it needed some TLC - wallpaper hanging off, bathroom door needed a new coat of paint, remote control for television was absolutely disgustingly filthy - things like that.
One of the reasons I chose this hotel was due to the fact that they advertise 'WIFI is available in the entire hotel and is free of charge'. Unfortunately this is not the case - well not in room 412 it isn't. I rang down to reception and the receptionist misunderstood the problem and gave me the log on information so I made a trip downstairs to explain that no WIFI was available as advertised. I was told it should be and he showed me his phone and the signal he had. I explained that I could also get 3G signal on my phone but that wasn't the problem. I needed the WIFI in the room for my laptop. He said he couldn't help me but to come down the next day and see whoever was in the office about it.
Went back to room, continued using my phone - which was by no means ideal for what I needed to do and then plugged it in to charge it up. Lo and behold, the socket I plugged it into didn't work! Then I found that neither did the Towel Rail socket for the bathroom. I went to bed - had had enough for the evening!
Next day I spoke to the receptionist about all the problems (WIFI, socket and towel rail) and she said she would have maintenance come up and fix it - which, of course, didn't happen. So later in afternoon I went and spoke to the Duty Manager. She was also amazed that here was no WIFI in room and said it must be to do with the location of the routers. She very kindly gave me the privacy of one of the bars for an hour to do my work - due to the fact that WIFI was available in the bar and reception. The receptionist asked if maintenance had been and I told her they hadn't - she was most apologetic and said she would look into it. Ten minutes later a maintenance man appeared at the door!
Didn't have breakfast the first morning but, since I had a long journey ahead of me on the second day I decided to go down and have it. I went down at 9am - breakfasts are served until 9.30 - and took a cooked breakfast from the hotplates. A woman flew past me asking if I wanted toast. I said that I didn't at the moment. I went back and started to eat this food that, at best, could only be described as luke warm. I was about to say something when the lady and gent beside me got n first and complained about it, only to be told that if they came down so late that is what they could expect. I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing. The lady was adamant that the food be taken away and reheated and, with no grace at all, that is what the lady in white did. Then the breakfast room was stripped bare. It was 9.05 and the toaster disappeared, then the cereals and milk, etc, etc. When I left at 9.10 the lady and gentleman who had complained had not yet got their breakfasts returned!
I went back to my room to get things together and I was in no hurry but suddenly there is a knock at the door - I answered it and there is the chambermaid. I explained I was checking out today so didn't have to be out the room til 11am and she said she was sorry but thought I might already have left - surely they are given a rota as to what rooms are being vacated and to leave them til later? Talking of cleaners - I have never encountered such a noisy morning in a hotel. The previous day I had been hoping for a sleep in as I had a long journey and a tiring weekend but doors were being banged - shouting going on from one room to the next - really quite unbelievable.
So I go downstairs to pay my bill and check out. I am handed a bill with £8 added to it for breakfast. The same receptionist as yesterday asks if the WIFI was ever sorted lout and was most apologetic for the lack of maintenance man when needed and the lack of the WIFI. I was just about to ruin her day by refusing to pay for the excuse of a breakfast when she offered to remove the breakfast due to the problems I had encountered.
To be honest with you - I would never set foot in this building again. You can't blame the receptionist who was delightful but the lady in white in the breakfast room was beyond arrogant, maintenance didn't seem to care, the web site is totally misleading and I would have expected the manager or duty manager to ask to be informed when I was leaving and for her to apologise and not leave it up to the poor receptionist.
In this day and age with hotels springing up and trying to attract business, you would think they would be bending over backwards to please their customers but this hotel certainly didn't do that for this customer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Nick W

Travelers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at station hotel for one night as was dropping someone off at the station the next day. The Hotel is directly over the road from the rail station and over the road from a very nice shopping centre with good shops and restaurants !
The reception to the hotel is very clean and modern ! I did witness the receptionist being extremely rude to a guest! The guest obviously had hard to read handwriting and the receptionist had misread his name on the booking form the guest filled out . As he misread the name the guest corrected him an the receptionist actually said " well it helps if you write your name properly on the form" I was gobsmacked. The receptionist was polite to myself though! We stayed in a room on the third floor! The hotel seems like an old building possibly victorian! We entered a small lift and arrived on our floor! The landing was huge and had a very large staircase! Our room was also very big! There was a small sofa and a flat screen tv! There was also a chair in the room that was very wobbly so we did not dare sit on it! The twin beds were also very wobbly also! There were huge windows that lets lots of natural sunlight in the day! Could do with soundproofing them though as the road outside was noisy! There was also a shower and a bath ! The water was extremely hot! We did not dare have a shower due to being scared of being scalded! We ended up having a bath with lots of cold water in it! The bathroom and room was clean overall though! Would stay here again but was slightly put off by the receptionist!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Swinnj
scotland
Reviewed August 1, 2012

recently had to spend 4 nights b/b at this awful place with it's grubby/dark dingy rooms- no remote for the tv/no hair dryer in room had to request them /windows covered in pigeon poo-the facilities are non existant for a hotel of this size - asked for a shower cap/bath sheets/ fresh milk-told by reception staff most of whom did not have a good command of spoken english- these items were not provided - asked where the shoe cleaning facility advertised in the litrature - no one could tel me- breakfast was disgusting /bacon like strips of leather /fried eggs like rubber /scrambled eggs a congeald mess / as for the sausages i wont go there/ fruit compote broken bits of grapefruit---only saving grace were 2 members of staff --Donna the manageress and Colins- I have emailed the cairn group - but they have not replied -i will never stay at this place again

Room Tip: ask for a room that's bright -and what exactly are you getting for your money
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank reas0nablestandards
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed at the station whilst on business in Aberdeen. The staff are very friendly and the restaurant isn't too bad. The rooms although dated are clean and I don't have any major complaints other than a lightbulb was out in the room and it was a bit stuffy. It is very close to the train and bus station and there are plenty of restaurants nearby. The hotel wi-fi is good and rooms are large. I would certainly not recommend this hotel for couples on a weekend break as it doesn't have that feel about it however for people on business or just stopping overnight it ticks all of the boxes: clean, fairly priced, good location and nice staff.

• Stayed July 2012