“simply the best”
Review of Craighaar Hotel

Craighaar Hotel
Ranked #47 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed April 14, 2009

This hotel is one of the best 3* hotels I have stayed at. The staff are very friendly and could not be more helpfull, We ate in both the bar and the restaurant both were excellent , even the housemaids could not be more frindly or helpfull. The rooms are very well equipped and clean.
We could not fault this hotel during our stay, and would most definately reccommend it .

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 5, 2008

Last August I spent a week at the Craighaar for a business trip in Aberdeen. While I don't think anyone will argue that the hotel is somewhat old, my room was clean and well-kept (though nothing I would call stylish) and the staff were extremely attentive to my needs. For example, when I needed to leave the hotel at 5:00 AM to catch my flight (long before the restaurant opens for breakfast), the staff prepared a wonderful meal of cereal, toast, fruit and muffins for me to eat and had it at my door promptly at 4:00 AM.

The food, in all honesty, is the best reason to stay at the Craighaar. Whether breakfast, lunch, dinner or otherwise, I was always immensely pleased and satisfied by the selection and quality of the Craighaar's dining options. I would recommend the Craighaar to anyone based on the meals alone. As long as you can get past the somewhat dated rooms and the lack of air conditioning (which never proved to be an issue during my stay), you can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2008

I have just returned from sunny (yes, it really was!) Aberdeen and, once again, found the Craighar to be a great 'home from home' hotel. I was most surprised to read some other recent comments as - if you check out the rest of the reviews - the food is brilliant, can't fault it. The restaurant menu is full of fresh local produce and even details the Aberdeenshire farm the beef comes from!! Anyway, am pleased to repot that they have a new telly in the bar area (the old one was decidedly past it's best) and my room had a great new loo with amazing power shower.
The only thing I could fault is the lack of gym facilities but, hey, suppose I can always go out jogging..... P.S My breakfast was brilliant too!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 26, 2008

I am writing about my stay over Easter at the Craighaar.

We arrived at the hotel on Friday 21 March about 10am. We were greeted, or not, by the receptionist. She was very rude totally ignoring us until we point out that we were talking to her. We realised that it would probably not be possible to have our rooms this early but were told that they were ready as the hotel was not busy. We had come straight from the airport as we did not want to leave our cases in the car whilst we were out. She assigned the keys to our party. We proceeded to our rooms on the first floor. We had booked 2 double bedded Executive rooms. On arrival at the room we found that we had a double room with an adjoining door. Our friends had a room which contained two single beds the other side of the adjoining door from our room. These rooms were more suitable for a family with children and not two sets of adults. We had no robes or mini bar as we were expecting. We called reception. I was told that the manager would be coming up straight away. We waited a while and nobody appeared. As we wanted to explore Aberdeen, the reason for the break, I decided to go down to reception. I was met by the same receptionist, who seems to have an attitude problem and not at all customer friendly, saying that we did have the executive rooms. I asked to see the manager. The manager appeared, she was much more professional in her attitude. I explained that we had not got the rooms we had paid for. After showing the confirmation I had she believed that there was a mistake between the online booking company and the hotel and at once said she would move us to the correct rooms. We had to then pack up again and move to the new rooms.

These were the executive rooms that we asked for but we were disappointed in these. The bed was on an upper level and the TV was on the lower level. We only had one robe instead of two and it was not really cleaned properly. My wife found a dirty tissue under a chair along with crisp crumbs and our friends found a pair of socks in a drawer. The rooms had a plastic fob to put in a slot by the door to get the electricity on. This was fine but in our room every time that you left the room and removed the fob the electric heaters turned off. We stayed over one of the coldest Easters in years with snow and freezing winds and when we returned to the room it was freezing cold after a day out. On the last day we had a flight at 9am and when my wife went to have shower at 6.10 the water was cold.

We decided to eat in the hotel’s 'award winning restaurant' as we had had an early start that morning leaving our homes at 3.30am. Two of us had the fresh crab starters which were disgusting and are sure that the crab was frozen or tinned as it was very watery and only consisted of white meat. The other starters were soup which was not much better. The main courses were of similar standard. Two had rack of lamb which when it arrived consisted on 3 very small separate chops. I have eaten in many restaurants and have never seen a rack of lamb with less than 4 chops and they are always joined together. The others main meals were steak which was tasteless. The vegetables were overcooked and unpleasant. This meal cost us £120 for 4 people which we would not mind spending if the food had been to a high standard.

The experience did not get much better. Breakfast was a disgrace. Over the three days we never had a hot breakfast always luke warm or cold, overcooked eggs and toast cooked only on one side and cold. On the last day we went into breakfast at the time the restaurant opened (6.30) only to find a cold breakfast again which suggests the food had been pre-cooked.

The only good part of the stay at the Craighaar hotel was the bar staff who were very friendly and helpful.

The reason we booked this hotel was because of the website which stated that there was an award winning restaurant on site and the close location to the airport.

We were expecting the level of service to be much better than we received and felt that it ruined an otherwise enjoyable trip to Aberdeen and Grampians.

The only good thing about the break was the different routes around the area i.e. Castle, heritage, whisky and coastal trails which were extremely good and an excellent meal at the Silver Darling fish restaurant in Aberdeen.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lindaCambridge
Robertaberdeen, director at Craighaar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2008

Whilst we all have to accept the good with the bad when it comes to reviews, there will sometimes-rarely- be a review which arises which requires comment; and this is one. This is the first time in 19 years of hotel ownership that I have commented on a review.

Of course, it appears once the question of "compensation" has been turned down, and the invective used becomes greater.

These guests did indeed turn up at 10.00am on their day of arrival; and there was a mix up with their booking, whether it be our or the booking agents fault, within 10 minutes they were allocated their rooms....at 10.00am in the morning note......and upgraded to a gallery suite. the receptionist could have been more diplomatic, but apart from that, the senior manager dealt with them personally and that was that.

This hotel is well known for making an effort on its food, and that included breakfast; we have a very good buffet, and all cooked breakfasts are cooked to order. I cannot recall ever having a complaint on breakfast. As for dinner on the first evening, the duty manager confirms that no complaint was made at the time, and he was on hand most of the time assisting with service.Our sample menus can be found at www.craighaarhotel.com

We are of course dissapointed when someone expresses dissatisfaction with what we offer, but on this occasion we disagree on most of the reviewers comments. We are in a no win situation, and would not normally comment, but this reviewer took the biscuit for us.

Reviewed October 22, 2007

We were in Scotland visiting family and had two single rooms. One of the rooms was lovely. Recently refurbished nice big bed couldn't have been better. The other room was tiny with a single bed the shower was tired.
There was work in progress which hopefully included the tiny room, so I'm sure won't be the case for long.
The restaurant was very nice the service both at breakfast and evening meal excellent.
The staff were all very nice friendly and keen to help. The bar/lounge area comfortable and relaxing
The location of the hotel was also very nice.
It was very close to the airport/heliport but was not noisy and actually was fascinating to see the aircraft so near!
My only criticism because we spent time at several hotels throughout Scotland was that we felt this hotel was expensive in comparison.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2007

I stayed a night in this hotel recently and the Hotel was quite acceptable. The Staff were very friendly and helpful and the Hotel clean. There was some redecorating going on upstairs but it did not interfere with our stay.

The Room was clean reasonably sized and came with plasma TV and an above normal TV package for a hotel room.

The only drawbacks was that with the proximity to the airport planes were heard while the windows were open, however if the windows were closed then there was no real disturbance and the Breakfast was only served until 9:30 which was a bit early as checkout wasn't until 12:00 if you wanted a lie-in.

While its not close to Aberdeen city it wasn't an issue for me as i was only there one night. The Taxi trip to the city cost about 11 pounds.

Overall i would stay here again and reccomend to any one else

• Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank Bluechip78
Reviewed November 11, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel numerous time whilst in aberdeen on buisness. The staff are friendly and service is excellent. The standard of food is excellent. One of the few hotels that actually cooks your breakfast to order, and what a breakfast it is too. Enough on the plate to keep you going till dinner time. Only minor let down I would say about the hotel is that some of the rooms are a bit dated and could be doing with being modernised. But don't let that put you off as everything else about the hotel is first class.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business