“lovely hotel”
Review of Craighaar Hotel

Craighaar Hotel
Ranked #47 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed January 7, 2013

we had a gallery room..it was warm and spotless. the staff were friendly and good at their job...our evening meal was really good and our canapes was a nice unexpected treat..the only complaint was mine...i have a bad hip and the room we had was at the far end of the hotel and then the room had the bed upstairs...not a good combination...lol...so if ..like me your mobilty is a bit dodgy then pick a ground floor room...:-)..only small fault i found was there was no handle on the wall in the bathroom to help you get in and out of bath if having a shower...i found the bottom of the bath a wee bit slippy and i would have felt a bit more secure if there had been something to hold onto...apart from that the hotel and staff are great...would stay again..

Room Tip: no lift so if...like me your mobility iffiy them ask for a ground floor room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as it was close to the airport and not extortionately expensive as most other Aberdeen hotels seem to be!

My room had obviously been recently refurbished but some small details had been missed which slightly let it down - bathroom door had not been replaced and looked like it had been there since the 1970's and the wardrobe had a row of coat hooks in it instead of a conventional rail! The bed was extremely comfortable and the soft furnishings were very good. Bathroom was well appointed with an excellent shower and plenty of space to put your washbag! Everything in the room was very clean but there was a lack of available plug sockets!

The hotel restaurant was also excellent with an extensive menu featuring lots of Scottish ingredients. Quality of the food was first class and service was great. Breakfast was a real winner - so nice to have not only tea and toast made for you but also your cooked breakfast done to order, made a real change from the usual self-service arrangement in 99% of hotels!

Wi-fi is chargeable (£5 for upto 5 days of use on as many devices as you like) which is, sadly, all too common in UK hotels, but the connection was good and fast. Parking at the hotel is also free.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2012

At long last I found a hotel in Aberdeen with availability for the nights I wanted and close to the Airport. Unfortunately I dont think I will returm. The reasons are these. First the room I had was cold and there is nothing worse in a hotel but to be cold when you arrive at your room. It also had a very poor wi-fi reception and although I paid the £5 for the password I couldnt use it. The tv channels are basic with little choice. and the shower was poor quality. Second, although the restaurant is one of the nicest I have been in at a hotel the food was not good at all and the menu was far too fancy for a work night dinner. Also I think most meals are precooked and microwaved. Certainly the case with the breakfast.
The plus points were; as I said the resaurant is lovely, the staff are all very pleasant and helpful, a paper is provided for every room each morning, parking is ample.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank nightboat33
Robertaberdeen, director at Craighaar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

cold? each room has its own controls for heating; wifi is new, and works very well throughout the public areas and bedrooms; it is fast and efficient; tv channels; there is multi choice, over 30 to choose from; shower; most are now power showers; and all.....all....food at dinner and breakfast is cooked to order by real chefs. Clearly this reviewer was staying at a different hotel, or had another reason for being so negative. Where we get it wrong, as we all do, we will hold our hands up; but where the reviewer is so wrong in everything he or she says?

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here either side of a trip to paris. Very nice hotel, good wifi access though it does cost £5 if i remember correctly...It should be free!
No complaints about the room or the service.
Though early morning there was no-one in reception and if it hadnt been for some offshore workers i wouldnt have got back in once i dropped my bags in the car! Need a bell or a card reader or something
Minor complaints. All in all recommended. Nice restraunt area, though didnt use it on this visit

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2012

we have just returned from 5 days at this hotel just outside of Aberdeen,and it was first class rooms and service the hotel is about 3-4 miles from the airport and can be a little noisy with planes and helicopters on the go all day.
we were out most of the day so it wasn,t to bad ,the hotel is very well run and the staff very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We haven't been at the Craighaar for 15 years (since we spent our wedding night there) so we decided to have a night away from the kids, to celebrate our anniversary.

We booked into one of the gallery suites (as we did all those years ago!) and I must say, although the room was perfectly clean and comfortable, it was exactly how I remembered it. There are flat screen TVs, a DVD player and an iPod dock now, however, the website does mention refurbishment and, I must admit, I was expecting something a bit more up-to-date throughout! The bathroom had a bath and white plastic 'Mira' shower which really let it down (although it was perfectly functional). Also, the lighting in the bathroom made it appear dingy. There were plenty of good sized towels and we also had 2 fluffy bath robes in our suite, which was a very nice touch. There were also T&C making facilities and a mini-bar.

We ate at the restaurant and the food was excellent (quality AND quantity) and very reasonably priced... as was the wine. Breakfast was delicious (and plentiful) and the service was quick and efficient. The restaurant would appear to have been done up recently and had a very nice, modern atmosphere. The bar area was more traditional and cosy, but perhaps a little too brightly lit!

Throughout our stay, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

All-in-all, we did have a very good stay, although the hotel was let down by the decor in our room. It was like a portal to 1997!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished one!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JillyBro
Robertaberdeen, director at Craighaar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for your nice comments; 53 rooms, of which 47 have been completely redone, leaving the 6 gallery suites to do! Look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

On arrival the receptionist (who I think was from Japan) was very helpful and polite. The bedroom was clean and the bathroom looked as if it had recently been refurbished - very modern. The overnight stay was made slightly disappointing by being able to hear the chap in the next room clearing his nasel passages and throat and when he did get to sleep snoring for all of Scotland. I guess had the inter-connecting door not been there it would have been a better stay. At breakfast the butter (which was pre-served on a small dish) tasted slightly past its best. I asked the waitress to replace it and this was done quickly and efficiently. I would stay again, but would request a room without an inter-connecting door..........

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business