“Only Go If You Get a Free Upgrade”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Glasgow
“Only Go If You Get a Free Upgrade”
Reviewed February 26, 2010

I stayed at this hotel twice on business trips. The first time I was falrly impressed. The room was clean,spacious and well equipped with bathrobe ,free wifi and toiletries.
What I didn't realise until my second visit was that this was a "premier" room. On my return trip, two weeks later I was allocated a truly dismal "standard "room,adjacent to the lift. This time no bathrobe or free wifi. The bath itself was rusty and looked grubby. The room was small and tired and the ancient convector heater was struggling to make an impact. I ventured down to the restaurant for a substandard meal (included in my room rate otherwise I would have gone elsewhere).
I was on a business trip ,paid for by someone else. I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for a long weekend break ( post code for SatNav: AB24 5EF ). We arrived at Aberdeen by air, the airport, according to the travel guides recommend that you allow 20 minutes for your journey into the City, however, it took us 45 minutes due to road works and an hour on our return.
There is plenty of free parking at this hotel. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, knowing that this was our first visit to Aberdeen they recommended some places to visit in the City, and further away attractions including Balmoral Castle and a couple of whisky distilleries too.
Our room. This was a king size bed deluxe room, the bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows, there was a two seater couch and coffee table, and opposite this was a writting table and a mini bar. The room had two large windows that could be opened and a view of the Esplanade, and The North Sea in the distance. An iron and ironing board plus trouser press was also provided. Large flat screen television, tea and coffee facilities which were replaced daily, was also in the room.
The room was tastefully furnished and decorated, very clean and of a good size - plenty of room to park a well travelled Delsey suitcase !!
The bathroom was small but adequate,with well stocked toiletries by Neutrogena. The bathroom was clean and had a shower and bath. Towels were changed daily, if you wished. There was also a large fluffy white dressing gown and complimentary slippers. A small 330ml bottle of mineral water was provided free for guests in the room.
The breakfast was well worth the effort to force yourself out of that comfortable kingsize bed and have the excellent Scottish buffet breakfast - the chef will even cooks your fried eggs to order. The breakfast room is well planned light and airy, and the tables are not to close together.
Just a short walk from the hotel is a large supermarket - ASDA, where you can stock up on your favourite nibbles, crisps, chocolate, drinks etc,.
During our stay we travelled by car to the Glenfiddich single malt whisky distillery ( postcode for SatNav : AB55 4DH ), this was, in my opinion, by far the better distillery that we visited during our stay. The standard tour is free, plus you have the chance at the end of the tour to sample a dram of Glenfiddich - lovely !! From our hotel it took approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes car journey and there was free parking onsite. Website : www.glenfiddich.co.uk
Another whisky distillery to try is the Glenlivet distillery ( postcode for SatNav : AB37 9DB ) Website : www.glenlivet.com. Admission is free and so is parking the car. The car journey from Aberdeen was approximately 1 hour and 50 minutes.
We didn`t visit this part of the world just to see the whisky distillerys, there is also Balmoral Castle - well worth a visit , admission charge is per adult: 8.50 British Pounds and the scenery en route was fabulous. Website : www.balmoralcastle.com
However,if after a long day at Balmoral Castle you are getting withdrawal symptoms for a taste of whisky, The Royal Lochnagar distillery ( postcode for SatNav : AB35 5TB ) is only a short drve away from the castle. Website : www.malts.com. Admission charge is per adult: 5.00 British Pounds, parking the car is free.
The Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Aberdeen, i would highly recommend this hotel and would stay at this property again on my next visit to Aberdeen.We booked online with this hotel at : www.doubletree.hilton.co.uk and paid 315.00 British Pounds Total for two adults, 3nights in a King Bed Deluxe Room including the Scottish Buffet Breakfast. ( price correct as of 12/05/2009 ).

• Stayed May 2009
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Fantastic location on the beach front, at one end of the strip of restaurants and leisure facilities spread along the sea front, where the North Sea pounds majestically against the shore . Short walk into city centre.
Leisure facilities better than the much larger sister hotel, Dunblane Hydro, except for Aberdeen hotel's tiny ladies-only sauna.
Reception staff very good: welcoming, courteous, professional and effective.
Room a bit small, but big bed, and there was everything you could want. Bathroom bit shabby, shower not great. Lovely toiletries.
Carpeting in corridors shabby and worn- away from public reception area, the place is showing its age.
Breakfast great.
Staff very good indeed.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, February 10, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to complete a trip advisor review. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. We are working very hard to create and live a real "CARE" culture and I am glad you felt that experience through out your stay. Our leisure club and gym is the largest hotel gym within Aberdeen and the range of facilities are excellent. On a small note there is a ladies sauna, however there is also mixed sauna offering everyone a choice of comfort. I am disappointed you commented on our rooms being "shabby", we are currently refurbishing some of our classic rooms at present and the remainder shall bepicked up in our next phase.

Binfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Spent 2 nights here for a quick weeked getaway following Hilton Hotels half price weekend offer. Platinum room with breakfast for £67 rather than £135. Due to snow flight diverted and so we arrived around 10pm rather than 7.30pm to fiund that the 4 start hotel had basically closed down for the night. The bar did offer food in a less than inviting area and 2 salads with 2 sodas was £23, to be fair the food was good but £10 for a lot of lettuce leaves was a little OTT. The biggest issue was that on arrival on a freezing cold night the room heating was not on. It was freezing cold and we sat in the room with our coats on till the tiny electric heater started to warm the room up. The bar was no better and we both kept our coats on when eating.
The room itself was nice and a good size, the kettle was missing and when we asked for another it took 30 mins to get one. In that time I had also visited recepotion to get hotwater and complain that we were still waiting.
Next day had breakfast which was superb and found that the hotrel was right next to the beach. Lots of snow overnight so a winter wonderland view.
Did have to laugh at the welcome letter from the area manager which recommended us to the spa. When I booked I did so before checking on spa availability and having booked and paid discovered that 3 weeks in advance you could not get any treatments as there is just one member of staff and she was fully booked. When we got there tried to have look only to find that it was locked up at 3pm on a Saturday.
Spent the day at the Marcliffe Spa where would would have stayed had Hilton not had such an attractive deal.
Sunday's breakfast was not up tot he same standard as Saturday but good none the less.
Hotel made no effort to grit or clear paths and as a result entrance was sheet ce and dangerous. Taxis had a hard time getting in and out as did we when walking.
Overall a nice hotel in good location but seriously over priced at full rate and never in this world a 4 star hotel. The people who award these stars frankly have not got a clue. I reakon hotels can buy the status. At £67 it is value for money. At £135 it is not. Staff were fine but noting outstanding and the delay in getting a new kette typical of other posts for this hotel.
So would recommend but only if getting deal.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Binman62
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, February 8, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do really appreciate all feedback, it helps us review our business and operational standards.

I was glad to read that overall yo enjoyed your stay and you found the "January Sale" offered you good value. I take your feedback on board about the temperature on arrival into your room and we are currently reviewing how to improve this for future guests.

The hotel has just appointed a new very experienced beauty spa manager who will address the availability issues.

The other operational feedback I have feedback to our operations team and will work on to improve response times.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Glasgow
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Booked a standard room at £105, and asked for a Quiet Room, which it was until about 2130 when the party started immediately downstairs. The music was absolutely Thumping through the floor and would have been impossible to sleep with.

I went down to reception to ifnorm them of their contradiction, and the person on reception could not have been any more accomodating, imeediately apologising and gave me another room . I was pleased to find out this was an executive room and was, as I had asked, very quiet, but I felt for the people who had to put up with the ridiculously loud music which went on past midnight. The hotel should really look are assigning their rooms carefully on party nights like this.

The Difference between the standard and Executive rooms is incredible, and I could not quite believe they both still had CRT TV's in a HIlton!!

Anyway a very comfy and quiet nights sleep ensued and breakfast was nice, but I would not come to this hotel on holiday as it is way too expensive.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank gazburns
Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to write it. I am glad that you had a good nights sleep after you were reallocated an alternative room. I apologise your first room was allocated over the banqueting suite on a party night. We have carried out addition front office training to prevent this from occuring again. There are three levels of rooms at Doubletree Aberdeen, Classic, Premier and Platinmum. All the Platinum rooms (42) have new flat screen TV's fitted in 2009 and has free HSIA.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Oslo
Reviewed December 11, 2009

The room was fairly standard, not particularly nice but decent nonetheless. The restaurant though, was horrible. I had what I thought would be a carbonara, but actually was a pasta soup with grey milk. The hotel is ok, but for the love of anything, stay away from the restaurant.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Schroedinger
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor, I appreciate your feedback.

I am glad you found the hotel bedrooms comfortable and they helped you enjoy your stay. If possible could I ask you to contact our operations manager regarding your feedback to the food you ordered. I am slightly confused as I have checked with our exec chef and the hotel has not had a pasta carbonara dish on any of its menus in over one year.

If you are able to assist us, I would be grateful.

Craig Ewan

Travelers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2009

The double room we booked was small and tired. Bathroom old, smells, and in need of re-furbishment. Breakfast was good, with a decent selection of hot food. Leisure centre seems well appointed, although we did not use it. Overall over-priced for this class of hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
CraigEwan_8, General manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, February 8, 2010
Thank you for your trip advisor feedback. I was glad to read that you found that we have a fully equipped leisure club and the hotel isvery well located. I am glad you enjoyed your Doubletree breakfast. I apologise that you found the hotel tired in areas and overpriced.